2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

51 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I really like Henry, but after Logan Thomas really showed up I would rather prioritize a WR.

I like him to but just like you, I can’t see us shelling out big money to a TE when Thomas proved he is more than serviceable and cheaper. It would be one thing if it was a good deal but I’m sure he will get paid as a top 5 TE

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I like him to but just like you, I can’t see us shelling out big money to a TE when Thomas proved he is more than serviceable and cheaper. It would be one thing if it was a good deal but I’m sure he will get paid as a top 5 TE

I mean I have no problem upgrading the position and the player is talented. That said you can’t put yourself in a bind with the deal!! You can’t give him a hooper type deal and you can’t give huge guarantees. You have to protect yourself because he’s about as Jordan Reed as it gets health wise. But he and Thomas would be a good 1-2 for the next 2 years especially if we draft a rookie I’d be completely okay with this approach because your likely giving up this years value picks to go get your guy so your going to rely on FA for upgrades so you have flexibility going into next years offseason to upgrade the WR TE and OL with youth plus whatever defensive spots were still looking to upgrade. I can see them going Samuel on a more longer term deal but I’d say anything you do with Henry is only fully guaranteed the next season and the one after to protect yourself from his injury history from tiring you down after that. If we added a Henry and Samuel and resigned Brandon which I think Brandon is the on sure fire keep here. I think your then primed to move up to go get YOUR guy. It allows them to have two talented TE’s/ saftey blankets. We have a pretty diverse backfield and if you add Samuel to Terry and Cam or whoever our youth steps up I think that’s a offense you can run out next year with a Fields,Lance and really compete within the division. Then in the playoffs your probably gonna see them take some lumps but atleast you hopefully go in healthier then we did this year and maybe the team can help that rook get a W and really give them confidence to build off of the next offseason. That’s really what you’d hope for after the way the team competed last year twards the end. Drafting a guy and adding some right now help through FA I think gives us the best right now and future trajectory for success

On 2/4/2021 at 8:48 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

There’s no point in this. You found something in Logan Thomas and hes doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Go sign one of the big name receivers to go with McLaurin and Cam Sims. Plus, I’d like to see if Thad Moss can be developed. Let’s see what we have there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There’s no point in this. You found something in Logan Thomas and hes doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Go sign one of the big name receivers to go with McLaurin and Cam Sims. Plus, I’d like to see if Thad Moss can be developed. Let’s see what we have there. 

Yeah, it makes much more sense to draft a TE to develop behind Logan Thomas & to develop Thad Moss too. I don’t see the idea behind spending big $ on a TE. As you said, I’d rather see that $ spent on re-signing our own good players & on a #2 WR who’s a big upgrade amongst other positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, it makes much more sense to draft a TE to develop behind Logan Thomas & to develop Thad Moss too. I don’t see the idea behind spending big $ on a TE. As you said, I’d rather see that $ spent on re-signing our own good players & on a #2 WR who’s a big upgrade amongst other positions.

It completely depends on the QB approach. We draft one if we get a pricey vet if you draft a QB you probably do the FA approach again at TE. Probably not Henry because ultimately I think the Chargers keep him for Herbert. They are changing systems I don’t think you want too much turnover to hinder herberts development.

Also, I do like the idea of trading for Darnold but if they were to give up a first I’d be devastated. I mean, a third and a future third seems like overkill for Darnold. I’d be okay with a third and a fourth but that’s my limit. I’d back off if they wanted anything more. 

I think we’d all rather a WR than a TE, but this is one of those scenarios where the price point for top TEs being so low makes it a possible play for the team. 

You offer 5/50ish with some decent guarantees for Hunter Henry, that probably lands him. You make that same offer to any of the FA WRs we’ve talked about, aside from Curtis Samuel and Marvin Jones probably, that’s getting topped. Easily topped with regard to the WR1 types. 

So the issue is, how much impact are you getting for that money? I tend to agree that Logan Thomas was pretty solid for us last year. However, given the amount we targeted him, I think it’s clear that (like his dad) Scott Turner wants to run a lot of the passing game through the TE. Henry is a better player than Thomas in pretty much every respect, and if they want to make the TE position a focal point of the offense, having a top 6-8 player in the league there could be very important in taking the offense up a level. If they envision Henry as the WFT version of what guys like Novacek, Gates, and Olsen were for Norv, it could be worth the money to upgrade. 

Personally, I’d rather see them invest more heavily in a WR1(B) to complement McLaurin and stick with Thomas and a rookie at TE for another year. Largely because of Henry’s injury history. But I’d probably prefer him to spending similar money on a lesser FA WR. 

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Also, I do like the idea of trading for Darnold but if they were to give up a first I’d be devastated. I mean, a third and a future third seems like overkill for Darnold. I’d be okay with a third and a fourth but that’s my limit. I’d back off if they wanted anything more. 

This is my current take as well.

We’re talking about a guy who came in as the youngest Week One starter since the merger. He’s always had awful talent around him, and he was saddled with Adam Gase for the last two years. He doesn’t even turn 24 until June, meaning he’s actually somehow 6 months younger than Joe Burrow.

In other words, I think there’s potential there that could still be unlocked. If we’re thinking about gambling on an uncertainty like an FA reclamation project or a 3rd-tier draft prospect, we might be better off taking a shot on Darnold. 

I agree with your take about the compensation — the truth is, though it’s too soon to give up on him, he also hasn’t been very good so far. And he’s only got two years left on his rookie control, one of which is the 5th-year option (no longer cheap), so he’s not nearly as valuable as an actual rookie from a contract standpoint. To me, a 3rd plus a conditional future 3rd makes sense, though I’d probably push it up to a 2nd if push came to shove.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mar29020 said:

kinda ridiculous how heinike has been written off already. 

Not writing him off but he’s been injured in all three of his starts. I’d like him to battle it out with either a rookie first rounder, Sam Darnold or who in ultimately expect them to sign based off of this being Carolina North, Cam Newton. 

7 hours ago, mar29020 said:

kinda ridiculous how heinike has been written off already. 

I love the guy for how he played for us. However, he has not earned the title of being “the guy” for us yet. He’s earned a roster spot and a chance to compete for sure. I would love nothing more than us bringing in another QB for cheap and Heinicke out performing him and winning the job. 

Edited by Umbaugh21