Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

Not that I was overly concerned about our super bowl chances anyway....but I am not going to lose sleep over the 34 year old 30% NT signing a contract bigger than we should have offered regardless. 

I am bummed about missing out on Tyson, I thought he would be a great piece to plug back in at the minimum....but I also would never have signed him instead of a player with a potential future. 

As war just posted above, the WR market is bad right now. So if JuJu comes back instead of Tyson? Yeah, I'm cool with that. Just gotta see how it all plays out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

2 years 9.5 million seems like a lot but this should lock up the RT spot until 2023 at least.

I think its far more than what he should have gotten for next to nothing last season due to injury. 

It doesn't move the needle at all and nearly $5M a year, yeah.. I mean I guess. 

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

2 years 9.5 million seems like a lot but this should lock up the RT spot until 2023 at least.

My guess is that its incentive enough for him to sign for multiple years to ease the first year cap hit and be comfortable with a number in year 2....but its meant as a placeholder because if he plays well we are going to extend him for a more appropriate payday next year. 

• Like 1

Free Agency as a Steelers fan is always frustrating but this year, after Ben played like absolute garbage in the playoffs its more frustrating than its ever been. We apparently have no cap space, he just signed an unproven Tackle to a "small wealth" contract and we are currently losing several players that helped get us to the playoffs in the first place with no likelihood of signing replacements that'll move the needle in any way. 

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

What I don't like about the Colbrrt extension is that it is until AFTER the draft in 2022. If he isn't coming back after that (,hypothetically) he shouldn't be drafting

This is how all GM contracts work. They run through the draft.

Cutting Vince Williams would be dumb, especially at this stage. The guy is a productive cog who knows the system well, a leader on the defense, and Spillane couldn't even stay healthy for a few games last year. I think you'd just create another hole that you can't fill and you're only clearing marginal cap space.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Free Agency as a Steelers fan is always frustrating but this year, after Ben played like absolute garbage in the playoffs its more frustrating than its ever been. We apparently have no cap space, he just signed an unproven Tackle to a "small wealth" contract and we are currently losing several players that helped get us to the playoffs in the first place with no likelihood of signing replacements that'll move the needle in any way. 

I mean, did you expect anything else? We're not good. We weren't good last year, we're not going to be good next year. I disagree about Banner. I think that's a solid signing. 

Also, maybe the FO has a lot of faith in Carlos Davis as the heir apparent to NT? Maybe that's why we let Tyson go. Or maybe he didn't want to be here anymore?

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

My guess is that its incentive enough for him to sign for multiple years to ease the first year cap hit and be comfortable with a number in year 2....but its meant as a placeholder because if he plays well we are going to extend him for a more appropriate payday next year. 

I'm hoping Banner stays healthy and locks up the RT spot. The Steelers need more from their ground game there. Decastro returns to form after an injury plagued 2020 and you may have the makings of something.

• Like 2