Worst cases of a team quitting on their coach?

biggie.

With a team of gray faces on the Browns, could this choke job by the Steelers be the all-time of a team coming out and looking unmotivated when it counts most?

...0 sacks against a depleted Browns line, five turnovers against a straight-up bad defense, touted defense gets ran all over, physical game completely taken over by the Browns. If not for soft defensive calls once leading, this could have been a 35-point home loss. 

It's hard to see much evidence of composure/focus/discipline with all the bulletin board material still flying out even after the game.

Maybe Tomlin should be on the hot seat 🤔.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

With a team of gray faces on the Browns, could this choke job by the Steelers be the all-time of a team coming out and looking unmotivated when it counts most?

...0 sacks against a depleted Browns line, five turnovers against a straight-up bad defense, touted defense gets ran all over, physical game completely taken over by the Browns. If not for soft defensive calls once leading, this could have been a 35-point home loss. 

It's hard to see much evidence of composure/focus/discipline with all the bulletin board material still flying out even after the game.

Maybe Tomlin should be on the hot seat 🤔.

it really looked bad. This team got by with talent over the years but lacks that now.  How they team looked so ill prepared is a sign. The Browns were the ones that never practices and had reserves playing, yet they looked ready. It has to be one of the worst steelers games ever. The 2 worst playoff games ever were the Jags game and then this game. Both under tomlin's regime,  where the underdog just wiped the floor with the tomlin steelers in their home field . 

BoB, Pederson, Tomlin yesterday are 3 pretty big ones. Add in Matt Patricia. It was a tough year.

I'd probably add Monty Kiffin as an honorable mention given how revered he was as a coordinator. 

That said, I still think the worst one this year was McCarthy and the Cowboys. They had a lot of injuries and such, which usually buys a coach some extra time. Still though, the reports started early and never really stopped. I'm amazed he's going to be back. I almost expected an open rebellion. 

In Caldwell's first season with the Lions, they posted an 11–5 record and made the playoffs as a wild card. They were defeated in the first round by the Dallas Cowboys, losing by a score of 24–20.

Halfway through the 2015 season, (the year the Lions lost Ndamukong Suh in free agency) the Lions had struggled to a 1–7 record, and both team president Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew were fired. There was speculation that Caldwell would soon be fired as well, but the next week the Lions won a road game against the Green Bay Packers for the first time since 1991. Detroit won 6 of their final 8 games to finish the season with a 7–9 record, and Caldwell retained his job.

In 2016, Caldwell's third season in Detroit (first season after Calvin Johnson retired), the Lions improved to a 9–7 record and lost to the Packers in a Week 17 game that determined the winner of NFC North. The Lions clinched another wild card berth, but lost in the first round to the Seattle Seahawks, 26–6.

The Lions went 9–7 again in 2017, in a season widely considered a disappointment despite the Lions' winning record. After the Lions missed the playoffs following a mediocre performance in the second half of the season, there was speculation about Caldwell's future, given the team's performance and belief that Lions GM Bob Quinn, who was hired during Caldwell's second year, may want to bring in a coach from his former team, the New England Patriots. Subsequently, on January 1, 2018, the day after the season ended, Caldwell was let go by Detroit. He was succeeded by Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia the following month. The firing of Caldwell, however, would be retrospectively criticized when the team regressed under Patricia.

Caldwell's record as Lions coach was 36–28 (.563),  making him the first non-interim Lions coach to leave the team with a winning record since Joe Schmidt, who led the team from 1967 to 1972. Caldwell's .563 winning percentage was the best for a Lions' head coach since Buddy Parker in the 1950's. Playoffs every other season, despite losing two of their three best players. 

I present to you the Lions quitting on Jim Caldwell. Would Lions have won Superbowls with Caldwell? Probably not, especially seeing how the Lions got shafted in the playoffs against Dallas. But they would have competed in their division, made the playoffs a handful of times, maybe winning a playoff game (something they haven't done in almost 30 years) and might have caught some luck along the way. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

it really looked bad. This team got by with talent over the years but lacks that now.  How they team looked so ill prepared is a sign. The Browns were the ones that never practices and had reserves playing, yet they looked ready. It has to be one of the worst steelers games ever. The 2 worst playoff games ever were the Jags game and then this game. Both under tomlin's regime,  where the underdog just wiped the floor with the tomlin steelers in their home field . 

Great points. I owe you a football. And I had forgotten about the Jaguars game. I still wanna say this one seems a little worse to me, but it's close.

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Dougie P is up there

BOB too

The Eagles beat the Saints on December 13th.

• Some players got mad in the last 5 minutes of the game that they did not try harder to go 5-10-1 instead of 4-11-1 🤣
  • Brooks, Johnson, Dillard, Ertz, Jackson, etc had their bodies quit on them.
    • Are you counting that as a failure of the spirit causing physical injuries?
  • Maybe you mean their 9th CB off the practice squad getting abused by Gallup as "team gives up"?

The Texans did not quit on BOB, he was just horrible and made bad decisions on personal and gameday calls.

• D Hop did not quit on BOB, he was traded.
  • In the 3rd game of the season they lost 28-21 to a team that started 11-0, sounds like they gave up to me! 👀

I think you are looking for Raheem Morris in Tampa going from 4-3 to 4-12

How about Ritchie the K going 1-15 in his last year after his players went through a 3-13 season?

Or you could just pretend with your examples.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

In Caldwell's first season with the Lions, they posted an 11–5 record and made the playoffs as a wild card. They were defeated in the first round by the Dallas Cowboys, losing by a score of 24–20.

Halfway through the 2015 season, (the year the Lions lost Ndamukong Suh in free agency) the Lions had struggled to a 1–7 record, and both team president Tom Lewand and general manager Martin Mayhew were fired. There was speculation that Caldwell would soon be fired as well, but the next week the Lions won a road game against the Green Bay Packers for the first time since 1991. Detroit won 6 of their final 8 games to finish the season with a 7–9 record, and Caldwell retained his job.

In 2016, Caldwell's third season in Detroit (first season after Calvin Johnson retired), the Lions improved to a 9–7 record and lost to the Packers in a Week 17 game that determined the winner of NFC North. The Lions clinched another wild card berth, but lost in the first round to the Seattle Seahawks, 26–6.

The Lions went 9–7 again in 2017, in a season widely considered a disappointment despite the Lions' winning record. After the Lions missed the playoffs following a mediocre performance in the second half of the season, there was speculation about Caldwell's future, given the team's performance and belief that Lions GM Bob Quinn, who was hired during Caldwell's second year, may want to bring in a coach from his former team, the New England Patriots. Subsequently, on January 1, 2018, the day after the season ended, Caldwell was let go by Detroit.[15] He was succeeded by Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia the following month. The firing of Caldwell, however, would be retrospectively criticized when the team regressed under Patricia.

Caldwell's record as Lions coach was 36–28 (.563),  making him the first non-interim Lions coach to leave the team with a winning record since Joe Schmidt, who led the team from 1967 to 1972. Caldwell's .563 winning percentage was the best for a Lions' head coach since Buddy Parker in the 1950's. Playoffs every other season, despite losing two of their three best players. 

I present to you the Lions quitting on Jim Caldwell. Would Lions have won Superbowls with Caldwell? Probably not, especially seeing how the Lions got shafted in the playoffs against Dallas. But they would have competed in their division, made the playoffs a handful of times, maybe winning a playoff game (something they haven't done in almost 30 years) and might have caught some luck along the way. 

Great breakdown.

36-28 sound pretty good with all that mess.

I am pretty sure his team really won that Cowboys playoff game but the refs picked up the game ending flag because Party Bus.

2007 Ravens with Brian Billick come to mind. Went on a 9 game losing streak after starting 4-2 with preseason Super Bowl aspirations. He lost the locker room and after we narrowly lost that Monday Night classic against the undefeated Pats, the team pretty much packed it in for the rest of the year, including handing a Dolphins team quarterbacked by Cleo Lemon their only win of the year. 

4 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

2007 Ravens with Brian Billick come to mind. Went on a 9 game losing streak after starting 4-2 with preseason Super Bowl aspirations. He lost the locker room and after we narrowly lost that Monday Night classic against the undefeated Pats, the team pretty much packed it in for the rest of the year, including handing a Dolphins team quarterbacked by Cleo Lemon their only win of the year. 

Cleo Lemon sighting!

He's in the QBs with one win club with Tuesday Night Football's Joe Webb!

36 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Jim Fassel with the Giants

Ray Rhodes with the Eagles. 

Barry Switzer with the Cowboys. 

Seattle won the opener in Philly 38-0 in 1998 and I was happy about it because I knew Rhodes would be gone.

I absolutely 100% quit on my team that year.

We got Andy Reid after that.