Jump to content

Worst cases of a team quitting on their coach?


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

WTF? The Eagles did not quit on Pederson, he quit on them by putting in Studfield and being generally bad as a coach all year. The players were still trying, imo.

 

Not the worst, but it felt like towards the end the Cowboys quit on Garrett. 

The last Garrett year was a harsh split in results between facing good teams and bad teams.

  • The 2020 Bears had a very similar 8-8 season, but their easy games were frontloaded and backloaded.
    • NOTE: In no way am I comparing their QB play to Dak

I don't think the Cowboys team tuned out Garrett to the point of quitting on him (even if it was time for Jerry to move on from him)

Edited by SkippyX
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, a lot of guys got tired of Jim Harbaugh's shtick once the L's started to pile up for the 49ers in 2014. I guess he treated the players like college kids to an extent with too many rah rah speeches and rules that didn't jive with some folks like banning card playing on the airplane. Sounds ridiculous to get up in arms about not being able to play cards on an airplane, but I don't know. Might have had to do with the idea it led to gambling .

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The last Garrett year was a harsh split in results between facing good teams and bad teams.

  • The 2020 Bears had a very similar 8-8 season, but their easy games were frontloaded and backloaded.
    • NOTE: In no way am I comparing their QB play to Dak

I don't think the Cowboys team tuned out Garrett to the point of quitting on him (even if it was time for Jerry to move on from him)

Towards the end of the season it just seemed like his message had grown stale. We got extra sloppy some games. Lack of effort. Think back to the Bears game were we had the most missed tackles in the NFL. It was something in the 10-15 range.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby Petrino in Atlanta straight up disappeared to a college gig and told the team with a note on the door.

Edit- never mind, I’ve got it reversed.

as far as the team quitting on a coach I think Hue Jackson players would have quit on him if they could recover their mangled bodies from the buses he would throw them under 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
Link to post
Share on other sites

2015-2016 Rex Ryan lost the team when failed to keep intact the only unit that was functional. The defensive gurú broke something that wasn't broken. Players on D started second guessing his system and to make matters worse, in his second year as the HC, he brought his twin brother to the team, clown show complete. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Also, a lot of guys got tired of Jim Harbaugh's shtick once the L's started to pile up for the 49ers in 2014. I guess he treated the players like college kids to an extent with too many rah rah speeches and rules that didn't jive with some folks like banning card playing on the airplane. Sounds ridiculous to get up in arms about not being able to play cards on an airplane, but I don't know. Might have had to do with the idea it led to gambling .

John Harbaugh was super rigid early on too. His first year there he even tried to get rid of Ray Lewis' pre game dance. Then there were little to big issues here and there which led up to the near mutiny backed by Ed Reed, Bernard Pollard, and some other vets back in 2012. He handled the incident the right way though and they came out from the situation healed and more together as a team. Then obviously went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

He's become much more of a player's coach in recent years, to the point that it's almost shocking. Wearing Lamar and Hollywood's Ice on the sideline and dancing in the locker room would've been beyond far fetched years ago, but John has totally loosened up in a variety of ways and really found who is and wants to be as a coach.

I wonder if Jim has or could similarly switch it up. Michigan players seem to like him from what I've seen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

2007 Ravens with Brian Billick come to mind. Went on a 9 game losing streak after starting 4-2 with preseason Super Bowl aspirations. He lost the locker room and after we narrowly lost that Monday Night classic against the undefeated Pats, the team pretty much packed it in for the rest of the year, including handing a Dolphins team quarterbacked by Cleo Lemon their only win of the year. 

Beat Pittsburgh last game of the year doe. Not even a team's discontent with their coach can stop that rivalry game.

Long live Cory Ross.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Beat Pittsburgh last game of the year doe. Not even a team's discontent with their coach can stop that rivalry game.

Long live Cory Ross.

We were so starved for any glimmer of hope at the QB position back that as I recall after that game most of us on this forum were trying to talk ourselves into Troy Smith as a potential QB of the future.... lol

Funny thing about that win over PIT in Week 17 ended up costing us Matt Ryan and why we ended up with Flacco instead. Lost out on the overall better QB because we didn't tank, but on the other hand Joe's always gonna be a legend for us after carrying us to a title, and his much faster and more obvious decline helped set us up to now have Lamar now, so can't say it all backfired. 

 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

What about Mike Singletary for the 49ers??    I thought it was pretty apparent toward the end but I could be misremembering...  

He was an awful coach but they started 0-5 his last year and finished 5-5 the rest of the way.

He absolutely deserved to be fired and some players probably checked out on him, but not the team IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...