Jump to content

Seahawks fire OC Brian Schottenheimer


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He's currently in line to destroy Alabama from the inside, thankfully

Alabama is rehab for coaches and college is definitely Bill's ceiling. I wouldn't be surprised if Bill leads them to another natty with Saban and weasels his way back into the NFL with a team like the Cowboys and people on this forum saying "Well he was a good coach just a bad GM!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

The switch to more run heavy i believe did help our defense. They were always on the field early in the season because the offense scored fast and often (but the defense did suck too early on). I really dont know what happened. We were throwing the ball all over the lot and it didnt matter that our defense sucked. Then we just couldnt get a first down it seemed to save our lives and the defense looked great. I think the space jam guys sucked the talent out of our offense and injected it into our defense or something. Im curious as to who the hawks will look at for their OC opening. My friends and I are also a little burnt out on Pete as tough as it is to say. He creates a great culture and competitive environment, but at some point you got to look in the mirror and think maybe your stuff is a bit outdated and stop blaming the coordinators. Hopefully he retires in a couple of years and they can hire Dabo or some hot shot college coach to pair with Russ for the last 6-8 years of his career. The job has got to be the hottest commodity in football. So much talent

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Schottenheimer wanted to let Russ Cook, but also got MAJORLY exposed because teams just played 2 high all day against Seattle and they couldn't scheme anything out of it. Carroll wants to run the ball effectively so they don't face 2 high safeties all game.

Another factor here is the Seahawks' run game is literally just shotgun inside zone. It used to work because you ahd to pick between defending Russ and the RB, but nowadays Russ doesn't even pretend like he's gonna keep it, so there's no true threat besides the RB.

Seattle has to do something majorly different.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, djw4bucs said:

Not sure how u can blame the seahawks loss on the OC, the offense looked different since their first 6 weeks, Don't think he should be fired unless it was carroll who was the reason for the success in the first half of the season and Schotty took over in the 2nd half of the season, but if i had to guess carroll wanted to establish the run but if it isnt broke dont fix it 🤷‍♂️

David Rose Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

Schottys problem is he couldn't adjust to adjusting defenses. Back-Back-Back years of significant decline in offensive efficiency and success in the 2nd half of the season. Teams figured out what Seattle was doing, playcalling became predictable, drive after drive DOA.

It only took teams playing two deep to completely nullify Seattles entire passing attack. Thats on the OC. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Carroll will never hire a creative OC, he just wants his guys, Guys that go along with the program. Ken Norton needs to go to, but he’s a Carroll guy. 
 

I'm sure on offense he’ll just bring in another stiff similar to schotty. 

Edited by SHONUFF
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Ya hate to see it

What he isn't telling you is that they went from a 41/59 run/pass split to a 43/57 run/pass split. So it wasn't any huge change in philosophy, just reality catching up to them and Russel not being able of turning those passing attempts into yards anymore. 

In the playoff game they lost, Russel's first 10 dropbacks resulted in 44 yards passing, 21 sacked yards lost and one 42 yard INT that went for a Rams TD. It also didn't help that they were 2-14 on third down (1-10 with the ball in Wilson's hands). 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, evilflamingo said:

What he isn't telling you is that they went from a 41/59 run/pass split to a 43/57 run/pass split. So it wasn't any huge change in philosophy, just reality catching up to them and Russel not being able of turning those passing attempts into yards anymore. 

In the playoff game they lost, Russel's first 10 dropbacks resulted in 44 yards passing, 21 sacked yards lost and one 42 yard INT that went for a Rams TD. It also didn't help that they were 2-14 on third down (1-10 with the ball in Wilson's hands). 

Carroll obviously lost it when Russ had many turnovers vs the Bills and we started to run on first down more and more. Russ was bad yes (horrible even, not seeing wide open wr) but we didnt help him, we were predictable. 

Schotty is a mediocre OC who deserved it, ok. HOWEVER, Pete is just going to hire someone to run even more on first downs, putting Russ on 3rd and long like we were back in 2019. Thats painful to hear tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Schotty is a mediocre OC who deserved it, ok. HOWEVER, Pete is just going to hire someone to run even more on first downs, putting Russ on 3rd and long like we were back in 2019. Thats painful to hear tbh.

I dont understand this 'we need to run' mindset. Since Marshawn left, has there been any significant attempt to boost talent in the running game? If it is so important, why they hell are they trotting out journeymen by committee? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

Carroll obviously lost it when Russ had many turnovers vs the Bills and we started to run on first down more and more. Russ was bad yes (horrible even, not seeing wide open wr) but we didnt help him, we were predictable. 

Schotty is a mediocre OC who deserved it, ok. HOWEVER, Pete is just going to hire someone to run even more on first downs, putting Russ on 3rd and long like we were back in 2019. Thats painful to hear tbh.

That's suspiciously specific. Why wouldn't you count games 8 and 9, why wouldn't you count all downs and scoring situations, especially if your bottom line is gonna be points scored per game? 

So nah, I'm not even gonna bother to look for the stats to support my claim but I will stand by my point that it wasn't any huge change in philosophy that caused their downturn people just way (way way) overreacted to Russel's hot start.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

So...the Hobbit gets off scot free? Didn't his play dip the last third of the season where he was essentially a middling QB? Obviously Russell Wilson won't be fired, but no critical takes on his performances? 

What do you expect Russell Wilson to do when nobody's getting open repeatedly? I've seen a million different breakdowns from many analysts on Twitter (actual NFL analysts, not Twitter analysts) that all come back to the same thing: scheme. The concepts the Seahawks were using in the start of the season to torch teams were the same ones they were using at the end of the season when teams adjusted. Wilson is theoretically checking to the right plays to beat said coverages, but those plays don't work because teams have started adjusting to what Seattle does. Did Russell Wilson also struggle and end up playing worse as a result? Absolutely, but you don't have to be an expert to notice how many times Wilson sat in the pocket looking around for an open guy, only to see nothing before you start asking "Is he just not seeing the field, or is nobody open?".

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont understand this 'we need to run' mindset. Since Marshawn left, has there been any significant attempt to boost talent in the running game? If it is so important, why they hell are they trotting out journeymen by committee? 

They drafted Penny in the 1st round, Damien Lewis is a mauling OG, but that's about it. The question I would be asking, is if running the ball is so important to Pete Carroll's philosophy, why is their running game among the most basic in the NFL?

8 minutes ago, evilflamingo said:

That's suspiciously specific. Why wouldn't you count games 8 and 9, why wouldn't you count all downs and scoring situations, especially if your bottom line is gonna be points scored per game? 

So nah, I'm not even gonna bother to look for the stats to support my claim but I will stand by my point that it wasn't any huge change in philosophy that caused their downturn people just way (way way) overreacted to Russel's hot start.   

You are correct. Seahawks didn't suffer a major philosophy change at all. What happened was they tried to stay pass-happy, but when those passing plays don't work, it leads to more rushing attempts. That's basically all we saw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...