Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

Ertz looked washed this season. I'd be alright with it if it's cheap but I feel like he's going to get overpaid based on past reputation, just looking at how guys like Jimmy Graham have fared on the market.

We definitely do need to bring in a 3rd TE rather than only banking on Breeland but it needs to be on a budget. I'd be looking at Richard Rodgers or Trey Burton as solid pass-catching depth pieces we can bring in for close to the vet minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Ertz looked washed this season. I'd be alright with it if it's cheap but I feel like he's going to get overpaid based on past reputation, just looking at how guys like Jimmy Graham have fared on the market.

We definitely do need to bring in a 3rd TE rather than only banking on Breeland but it needs to be on a budget. I'd be looking at Richard Rodgers or Trey Burton as solid pass-catching depth pieces we can bring in for close to the vet minimum.

Disagree. I don’t believe he was washed. I think he wasn’t paid and didn’t put in the effort. Like after the 2021 season he’s got 2 years left on his deal with no dollars. It sounds to me like there was an anticipated extension that the Eagles were supposed to do at some point either last season or the year before, but decided not to do so.

That’s the only reason I can see a contract being structured like how Ertz deal was done. So this is just speculation, but their seems to be some bitterness and lack of effort there... especially when considering plenty of passes that Ertz typically brought in, he didn’t make attempts on this season.

Now whether or not, we can afford what he’s looking for is another question entirely. But considering our cap situation, I think our options are limited. I think Ertz and Watkins are probably are two best bets.
——

But if we can’t get Ertz, I’d rather just roll with Breeland heading into the draft. It would be a cheaper or potentially more impactful proposition. I’d rather the front office not sign a Rodgers and then pass up on a Pat Freiermuth as BPA because of the numbers already at the position.

12 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Offensive line. 

It's never sexy picks and you feel a bit empty on draft day but if you devote top picks to offensive line, you reap the benefits in the future. It's well worth it. I'm all for it this year, especially with OBJ likely leaving via trade. This is a prime example. 

You can be the best in the league but when you're constantly faced with pressure, you can't do a damn thing. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
  • Like 1

Just now, baltimoreRebel said:

It's never sexy picks and you feel a bit empty in draft day but if you devote too picks to offensive line, you reap the benefits in the future. It's well worth it. I'm all for it this year, especially with OBJ likely leaving via trade. This is a prime example. 

You can be the best in the league when when you're constantly faced with pressure, you can't do a damn thing. 

Best TE, best QB, top 3 WR don’t mean jack if your OL isn’t good. 

I’m a guy who finds offensive line picks sexy. If you have an elite O-line you should be a solid team imo. 

It’s also good for team culture because your defence has to man up in practice all the time to avoid being pushed around. 

Give me a top rated centre or guard (preferably a good one in each position) in this draft and a free agent and EDC can do whatever he pleases with the rest of the picks and cap space. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

Really interested to see what veterans on the offensive line are going to end up cap casualties with so many teams needing to do a ton of work just to get under the cap. 

Someone like Jason Kelce on a cheap-ish short-term deal would make a lot of sense as a Matt Birk type signing if he becomes available. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

Our top three needs according to PFF. Nothing surprising.-https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-haritz-top-3-needs-for-all-32-nfl-teams-ahead-of-the-2021-season

27. BALTIMORE RAVENS
Team Needs: Wide receiver, offensive line, edge

Josh Allen got Stefon Diggs. Kyler Murray got DeAndre Hopkins. Baker Mayfield got Odell Beckham. Lamar Jackson got… Marquise Brown, who is fine, but c’mon people. The unironic “RB playing QB” jokes are old; Lamar Jackson has thrown 62 TDs over the past two seasons with arguably the worst WR room in the league. One of just seven teams with fewer than eight figures in 2021 dollars devoted to the group, Baltimore needs to find Jackson a true No. 1 WR in order for this offense to reach its gaudy ceiling.

RT Orlando Brown wants a trade if he can’t play on the other side, which seems unlikely considering all-world LT Ronnie Stanley should be manning that spot for the better part of the next decade. Regardless, improvement should be considered across the entire group considering they largely declined to invest any real resources in replacing retired perennial All-Pro guard Marshal Yanda following the end of the 2019 season.

- Nobody blitzed more often than the Ravens in 2020. And yet they ranked just 18th in pressure rate. This is one of the league’s rare defenses that can largely hold up in coverage even in the absence of a high-end pass-rush; just realize any unit would benefit from further infusion of a legit blue-chip talent on the edge, and only the Jets have fewer 2021 dollars allocated to the position than the Ravens.

FWIW - Jeff Zrebiec has said some interesting things lately in Q&A's and reader responses on The Athletic that are maybe worth paying attention to. Here's what he said yesterday in response to a question about what he thinks will happen with Judon and Ngakoue:

I think there's better chance that Judon is back than Ngakoue. Going to depend on price obviously, but if the money isn't there like people expect it to be for Judon, I could see him coming back. But if I was to guess today, I'd say both will be gone.

Based on those and a couple of other comments, he seems to be of the opinion that we'd rather have Judon back than Ngakoue, and also that most likely both walk and we bring back Bowser, but there's a little more of a chance with Judon because the market may not be as hot for him. 

Obviously he's just one more guy making his own predictions/sharing his opinions but he's probably more plugged into what the Castle is thinking than any other media member so it's worth noting. Even though Ngakoue didn't deliver the impact we had hoped for I still don't think I'd agree with prioritizing Judon over him. But the bigger picture here if its true and both of them walk while Bowser comes back is that Harbaugh and EDC were serious about how they're rethinking the EDGE position and how we rush the passer.

Could be that they just don't think either of these guys are that caliber of pass rusher to be worth it and we just end up throwing a ton of money at Shaq Barrett in free agency. Or maybe with quarterbacks becoming more and more mobile, we start prioritizing interior pass rush more and ask the EDGE rushers to play more contain, in which case Bowser seems like a better fit (particularly for a lower price) and DL becomes a bigger priority for the offseason. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

50 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

FWIW - Jeff Zrebiec has said some interesting things lately in Q&A's and reader responses on The Athletic that are maybe worth paying attention to. Here's what he said yesterday in response to a question about what he thinks will happen with Judon and Ngakoue:

I think there's better chance that Judon is back than Ngakoue. Going to depend on price obviously, but if the money isn't there like people expect it to be for Judon, I could see him coming back. But if I was to guess today, I'd say both will be gone.

Based on those and a couple of other comments, he seems to be of the opinion that we'd rather have Judon back than Ngakoue, and also that most likely both walk and we bring back Bowser, but there's a little more of a chance with Judon because the market may not be as hot for him. 

Obviously he's just one more guy making his own predictions/sharing his opinions but he's probably more plugged into what the Castle is thinking than any other media member so it's worth noting. Even though Ngakoue didn't deliver the impact we had hoped for I still don't think I'd agree with prioritizing Judon over him. But the bigger picture here if its true and both of them walk while Bowser comes back is that Harbaugh and EDC were serious about how they're rethinking the EDGE position and how we rush the passer.

Could be that they just don't think either of these guys are that caliber of pass rusher to be worth it and we just end up throwing a ton of money at Shaq Barrett in free agency. Or maybe with quarterbacks becoming more and more mobile, we start prioritizing interior pass rush more and ask the EDGE rushers to play more contain, in which case Bowser seems like a better fit (particularly for a lower price) and DL becomes a bigger priority for the offseason. 

If both walk, our trash pass rush gets even worse 😂