Journey to Ring 3: Club Evaluation & Building Another Champion

DreamKid

We need more good WRs but I believe Hollywood is a #1 WR. 

I think we should aggressively pursue Brandon Scherff and then just wait. If the cap situation is what everyone is expecting we’re going to be one of a few buyers in a buyers market and there’s going to be great deals to be had after half the league spends the little bit of money they have.

4 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

We need more good WRs but I believe Hollywood is a #1 WR. 

I think we should aggressively pursue Brandon Scherff and then just wait. If the cap situation is what everyone is expecting we’re going to be one of a few buyers in a buyers market and there’s going to be great deals to be had after half the league spends the little bit of money they have.

Could certainly get there. I think there’s some truth to this. In another offense I do think he’s potentially a 1200 yd type WR.

So I suppose it depends on ones definition. I think he’s high end #2 atm like a Derrick Mason, but he certainly has the potential to be a true #1 as soon as next season IMO. Especially if he doesn’t have the lows like he had this past season. Cant be a true #1 with those kinds/frequency of drops.

So I know we've all seen the thing about it being hard for the Ravens to lure in a top receiver on the free agent market because they run so much and receivers don't put up big numbers with the team. Does that also hold true with offensive linemen but in a good way? With the team running so much that makes an offensive lineman's job MUCH easier.

With the team very publicly looking to get better there I have to think that makes the Ravens a top destination for whatever offensive lineman they want. If Brown is traded that just opens up another spot. Mekari would be okay there, but we're not looking for okay. The offensive line needs to be a force.

Hollywood has a real chance to be a Costco brand Tyreek Hill, and that's pretty amazing since no other player in the NFL can come close to that. If our coaching staff studies how KC uses him, we can do much of the same here and get those same results - jet sweeps, deep crossing routes, screen passes, backfield routes/options, etc.

The possibilities are endless when you have a weapon like that. I just want to see our passing game be more dynamic and more fluid with our running game. Right now it seems like we either go 12(?) personnel or gun empty. Our PA game also sucks.

58 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Anyone feel Gurley could be a fit here? He's no longer a feature back and is a well known Baltimore boy. He really could be a great change of pace to Gus and Dobbins and could like be had at a cheap price. It's a long shot but intriguing. We could also ride with Hill. 

I'd rather ride with Hill. Just keep the 1, 2 punch with Dobbins and Gus. (Hopefully, Roman uses them next year in the redzone)

10 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Anyone feel Gurley could be a fit here? He's no longer a feature back and is a well known Baltimore boy. He really could be a great change of pace to Gus and Dobbins and could like be had at a cheap price. It's a long shot but intriguing. We could also ride with Hill. 

We could get him and he’d be a good fit (guy still kills it inside the 10) but I’d rather be super stingey on the cap space when we have 2 good young guys and a solid special teamer in Justice Hill.

even the 3-6 mil Gurley could command could be a guy like Derek Wolfe for a year

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I think we could do better for much cheaper. Gurley looks like his explosiveness is completely gone. I think we should just keep drafting RBs.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:15 PM, coordinator0 said:

So I know we've all seen the thing about it being hard for the Ravens to lure in a top receiver on the free agent market because they run so much and receivers don't put up big numbers with the team. 

I thought that at first. But with the salary cap situation I think we should be able to. There’s just not going to be a lot of options for these WRs if the caps as low as they’re expecting.

No to Gurley. He’s done. Nothing Gurley would provide would greatly exceed Ingram. Hill provides better versatility. JKD also has enough power that even if Gus went down he could play the “thunder” role to Hill.

Team should just keep a “thunder” back on the PS and roll with that squad moving forward.
——

In terms of recruiting WR vs OL, I think that will be true, but I think it only affords us a benefit in situations where money is largely equal. While we have some cap space, it really isn’t enough IMO where we should be spending what will likely be about $15m on a guard, which will likely be the market value for Scherff IMO. If we could bring him in for something closer to $11m than I’m on board. Though ideally we’d spend that type of money on a WR like Julio. But if we’re going to spend it, ideally it would be on an elite talent regardless of the position.

5 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

We could get him and he’d be a good fit (guy still kills it inside the 10) but I’d rather be super stingey on the cap space when we have 2 good young guys and a solid special teamer in Justice Hill.

even the 3-6 mil Gurley could command could be a guy like Derek Wolfe for a year

I think Todd's ceiling is 2 million in a tight cap season. I could be crazy though. I'd rather spend the money on Wolfe or a Zac Ertz. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
  • Like 1

I think the team definitely really needs to trade for either Julio Jones or Zack Ertz. Both guys have been to SBs and even though Julio’s team lost, they both know what it takes to get there. Could bring a leadership to the offense that they’ve proven they need in critical moments. Whether in speech or with big plays.

Atlanta doesn’t look like they’re in a seller’s mode yet though considering they seem content to ride with Ryan for a few more years vs starting over with a rebuild. Can’t necessarily blame them. But I’m guessing Ertz would only cost about a 6th round pick or so considering the Eagles are liable to cut him anyway and considering the offseason and his age, they’re not likely to get a good comp back for him.

I think we’d also have some negotiation leverage with Ertz, on the open market he probably has to take a prove it deal less than his $8.25m salary, so I’d look to get an extension done with him prior. He currently has 3 years left on his deal with no base salary. So there’s some negotiation leverage from the team to get done an easy extension, I feel like. We could thus convert his 8.25m into a signing bonus with base salaries of something like $1m, $5m, and $5m; with incentives that could push the deal up some.

I know @RavensTillIDie will probably pimp Jacob Breeland again... and I’m not against him and his talent, but this offense needs a Calais Campbell level leadership addition added to the offense at a skill position. Someone that has proven they can be a tone setter in critical moments like the two aforementioned guys. I think besides Lamar improvements and OL upgrades, that’s our surest path to quality offensive improvements in the postseason.

Considering Roman has little ability with scheming up WRs and athletic LB cores seem to really hurt our attack, having two TEs that can get open against the man coverages we’ve been seeing would allow us to better dictate our passing attack.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

So considering a deal such as the one above for Ertz, that would still allow us to land a big FA option like a Scherff or Lindsay along the IOL for something in that $10-12m APY range (generous 2021 cap hit of course) while then having enough to resign guys like McPhee and Wolfe.

If we can’t get an OL, then I’d probably try and split the bill and go after Aldon Smith and Sammy Watkins. Smith for what should be a value priced pass rusher ($6-8m APY) and Watkins for his offensive leadership and playoff production for a similar amount, he could be our Torrey Smith type. Draft could then be for BPA with an emphasis on OL, edge, S, and WR; possibly in that order.

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424 Searched 'Julio Jones Trade' on twitter just to see if there was any tidbits of interest and I found this gem-

😂 Some dopey Steelers fan in the comments admitted to being fooled by it initially too.

If only we sign and traded Flacco for Julio, that would be about the most epic EDC moment of all time.