Free agents

WizardHawk

23 minutes ago, quiller said:

I know a lot of people have expectations of a tier 1 FA. Just how many tier 1 FA have this franchise brought in over the past few decades. In terms of signing one I don’t remember any in recent times. Unless you count Coop. That is why I see nothing will be done tell after draft.  That’s just how Jones operates.  

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don’t expect it either tbh. But, they have to find some happy medium. FA hauls like the last few years aren’t benefiting the team. 

Who is expecting a tier 1 FA? Here are some of the FAs being mentioned, and where they rank on Pete Prisco's top 100 FAs.

• #13 Marcus Williams
  • #24 Anthony Harris
  • #37 Patrick Peterson
  • #38 Dalvin Tomlinson
  • #65 Richard Sherman
  • #93 Malik Hooker

And that doesn't include a lot of names that are going to be cut in the coming days. These guys are not tier 1 FAs. And I imagine a lot of them will be looking for 1 year deals given the cap environment.

The opportunity is there to significantly improve the roster with responsible 2nd tier contracts. The should do it, and I expect they will, to some degree at least.

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Who is expecting a tier 1 FA? Here are some of the FAs being mentioned, and where they rank on Pete Prisco's top 100 FAs.

• #13 Marcus Williams
  • #24 Anthony Harris
  • #37 Patrick Peterson
  • #38 Dalvin Tomlinson
  • #65 Richard Sherman
  • #93 Malik Hooker

And that doesn't include a lot of names that are going to be cut in the coming days. These guys are not tier 1 FAs. And I imagine a lot of them will be looking for 1 year deals given the cap environment.

The opportunity is there to significantly improve the roster with responsible 2nd tier contracts. The should do it, and I expect they will, to some degree at least.

For their respective positions I would expect Williams, Harris, and Tomlinson to be classed as tier 1 guys as FA bidding starts. Obviously the other 3 have age and injuries working against them, but I’d be happy with and of 3 nonetheless. 

2 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

For their respective positions I would expect Williams, Harris, and Tomlinson to be classed as tier 1 guys as FA bidding starts. Obviously the other 3 have age and injuries working against them, but I’d be happy with and of 3 nonetheless. 

Tier 1 FAs are the guys who garner 3rd round comp picks. None of those players listed are going to command that kind of money. Maybe a couple of them will command 4th round comp pick style contracts.

But it’s certainly possible that the market is soft enough on any one of these guys that the Cowboys can be players.

No reasonable person expects the Cowboys to be out there setting the market on guys. But there are really good players who will be available at not unreasonable prices. They should hop on them, rather than waiting 3 weeks and scouring the bargain bin.

15 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

There are better places to spend our money, IMO. A bit redundant to Donavan Wilson, with loads of injury issues.

Not sure I like the idea either, but the connection is there if Quinn wants him and it seems to have some legs to it. 

17 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Tier 1 FAs are the guys who garner 3rd round comp picks. None of those players listed are going to command that kind of money. Maybe a couple of them will command 4th round comp pick style contracts.

But it’s certainly possible that the market is soft enough on any one of these guys that the Cowboys can be players.

No reasonable person expects the Cowboys to be out there setting the market on guys. But there are really good players who will be available at not unreasonable prices. They should hop on them, rather than waiting 3 weeks and scouring the bargain bin.

I didn’t expect Bridgewater or Dante Fowler to warrant 3rd comps either, but they’re projected too. 

Edited by WizardHawk

45 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I didn’t expect Bridgewater or Dante Fowler to warrant 3rd comps either, but they’re projected too. 

I don’t think I understand your point. 

Some players are going to go for more than you expect. Some for less. Could Marcus Williams have a couple of teams who love him and get in a bidding war? Sure, and in that case, the Cowboys will not be interested. But could he find the market soft and be willing to sign a 1-year $9M contract? Absolutely. 

I can’t predict what will happen with every individual player. But on the whole, it’s very likely that some quality guys at positions of need will be available for a lot less than “Tier 1 pricing”. At the end of the day, they 100%, IMO, should be willing to look at a few guys in the $8-$10M range. Pretty reasonable to think Tomlinson might be signed in that range.

My main point, is that almost no one expects us to sign true tier 1 guys. They just want us to be players in the next tier. Which is reasonable, and possible. And given the cap environment this year, it could be even cheaper to play than usual. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

So ends that dream...

How are these guys going to get under the cap? I know they were over before the tag, they’re going to have to make some tough decisions

i just looked, and according to over the cap, all the nfc playoff teams from last year minus the Seahawks are in the red when it comes to cap space. 

Edited by CT Cowboy Fan