49ers release Navorro Bowman; signs w/Raiders 1yr/3m

Forge

4 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

So I think the Packers far and away make the most sense for Bowman, all things considered 

Our defense doesn't really put a priority on the ILB position, plus we have Burnett and Josh Jones playing a bunch there as well. I love Bowman, but I think he would have more use elsewhere despite being a clear upgrade over what we have

Things change so fast.

It was just a few years ago that Bowman was IMO top5 at his position for many years. Bowman and Willis is still one of the scariest ILB tandem I have ever seen during my lifetime. Always been a fan of Bowman.

9ers fans.. where is he at right now? I haven't seen much of the 9ers over the last few years. 

I haven't followed it too closely. The only issue I can see that the 49ers felt he was over payed at this point given what he has left in the tank. Yet, it's a team with very few guys worth paying. Bowman deserved every penny alone for the play that changed the course of his career. I mean, this is one of the toughest football plays I've ever seen. That's a guy feeling his knee being destroyed who only cares about holding onto a football. A guy like that has value to a team and franchise beyond what he provides on the field. Young guys need leadership and fans need something/someone to care about. Bowman deserves to go to a team that isn't dismantling itself and rebuilding, though. One of the few guys where I'd actually care if it worked out for him.

42 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Earning the respect from players around the league and in your own building sometimes is more important that a late round draft pick when youre trying to establish a culture. 

Yea might even help them down the road with bringing guys in. If they show(even if its an illusion) that the 49ers care more about their players it might help them get bigger FAs. Might not but still a nice gesture. I assume the offer wasnt much. If it was worth it or too much to pass on they wouldn't have

37 minutes ago, coors said:

Things change so fast.

It was just a few years ago that Bowman was IMO top5 at his position for many years. Bowman and Willis is still one of the scariest ILB tandem I have ever seen during my lifetime. Always been a fan of Bowman.

9ers fans.. where is he at right now? I haven't seen much of the 9ers over the last few years. 

Hard to say...he's looked flat out bad at times. He absolutely can't cover any more. Not in zone, not in man, so you can't have him doing that. You also need to limit his snaps some in my opinion. That's one of the things he was upset about that we did last week and what really led to all of this I think. But that's one of the things that needs to be accounted for. The nice thing, however is, that this is his first year back off an achilles tear, and it is not unusual at all for the second year back to be the actual year that the player returns to their old form. So if you're going to sign him, there's some hope for next year and moving forward. 

Bears could definitely use an ILB right about now too, considering their string of injuries....

That said, we're also pretty clearly no where near playoff contention...... so it would all boil down to his love for Vic Fangio as the Defensive Coordinator.

1 minute ago, Warhorse said:

I know...I'm a Colt fan....

I know- I've seen you on that forum, and you've been a much-needed contributor to that at times desolate waste land.

Sort of an inside joke I was sending you.

Archived