Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Eagles - who returns to contention first?

Apparition

The Patriots are already a year into their rebuild and have a lot of cap space to work with, but also have the weakest roster of the four as it stands and haven't drafted real blue chip players in recent years.

The Steelers have a zombie QB who refuses to take the hint eating a huge hole into their salary cap, but a very talented defensive unit and generally draft quite well.

The Saints are in cap hell but at least have a roadmap for getting out of it while keeping most of their elite talent.

The Eagles are saddled with the league's worst QB contract and an aging veteran core, but potentially already have their QBOTF and a new coach.

So who makes it back to the playoffs first?

Edited by Starless

Saints have an awesome OL, Michael Thomas, Kamara, and a young D besides Jenkins. They'll be right back in the mix if they pick Jameis over the gimmick QB or sign some other half decent QB. If Matt Ryan gets cut, he should go to NO. 1 year league minimum to chase a ring.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

Whichever one finds their long-term QB first.   

NO, PIT and NE are all well run from a FO perspective and have org stability.   PHI might have the most chaos, but they have a cheap rookie level guy already in the org.    So the Eagles might have a head start, but the most FO turnover.    Ultimately, given that all orgs should be able to team build - the difference will be the QB find.

18 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Saints have an awesome OL, Michael Thomas, Kamara, and a young D besides Jenkins. They'll be right back in the mix if they pick Jameis over the gimmick QB or sign some other half decent QB. If Matt Ryan gets cut, he should go to NO. 1 year league minimum to chase a ring.

Matt Ryan isn't getting cut. And he sure as hell isn't going to New Orleans.

Kraft imo is one of the best owners in football. Bill Belichick is still there. They have a ton of cap. They easily are the most likely to accelerate a rebuild. The other teams actually have to get out from under bad situations first. The Pats took a hit this year to undo any cap issues they had. 

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Whichever one finds their long-term QB first. 

Why does it have to be a long-term QB? I'm simply asking about returning to the playoffs and actually being a threat to go all the way. Plenty of teams have done that without a long-term QB in place. 

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

Why does it have to be a long-term QB? I'm simply asking about returning to the playoffs and actually being a threat to go all the way. Plenty of teams have done that without a long-term QB in place. 

I say long-term - because PHI's cap marriage to their present QB's, PIT's cap commitment to Big Ben, and Saints' general cap hell, they're going to go young/cheap route.     It's fair to say with NE, that's not necessarily a prerequisite.   I don't think the other 3 can afford a short-term fix, as they likely will cost too much, though.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Just now, Broncofan said:

I say long-term - because PHI's cap marriage to their present QB's, PIT's cap commitment to Big Ben, and Saints' general cap hell, they're going to go young/cheap route.     It's fair to say with NE, that's not necessarily a prerequisite.   I don't think the other 3 can afford a short-term fix, as they likely will cost too much.

fair

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I say long-term - because PHI's cap marriage to their present QB's, PIT's cap commitment to Big Ben, and Saints' general cap hell, they're going to go young/cheap route.     It's fair to say with NE, that's not necessarily a prerequisite.   I don't think the other 3 can afford a short-term fix, as they likely will cost too much, though.

To be fair to Pittsburgh, their cap situation is a mess, but it's a mess that clears up by 2022

If they can get a QB, they are back to being in great shape in one bad year

I've been saying they just need to cut everyone, roll with Dobbs/Haskins/Rudolph, go 5-11, and draft a QB next year and be good to go

Their rebuild is actually probably the quickest - unless of course Philly drafts Ja'Marr Chase and Wentz rebounds to even a top 15 type of QB

NE gets their Covid guys back.

NE could get Jimmy G for cheap

NE could sign a couple WRs (Robinson maybe?)

They will find a TE upgrade (eventually)

The Patriots are my pick.

Tell me about the health of Brooks and Johnson and I could make a case for the Eagles.

They need to nail that number 6 pick though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

To be fair to Pittsburgh, their cap situation is a mess, but it's a mess that clears up by 2022

If they can get a QB, they are back to being in great shape in one bad year

I've been saying they just need to cut everyone, roll with Dobbs/Haskins/Rudolph, go 5-11, and draft a QB next year and be good to go

Their rebuild is actually probably the quickest - unless of course Philly drafts Ja'Marr Chase and Wentz rebounds to even a top 15 type of QB

Right but @Starless asked why I said long term QB.   Because of that same cap situation Pit is going cheap / young.   That offers long term potential to the QB teams find.  Hence the answer above.  It wasn’t a guess on who arrives there sooner, but to the type of QB they find. 

Edited by Broncofan

23 hours ago, SkippyX said:

NE gets their Covid guys back.

NE could get Jimmy G for cheap

NE could sign a couple WRs (Robinson maybe?)

They will find a TE upgrade (eventually)

I think you underestimate the real number of holes the Pats have on their roster. They're gonna need to get really aggressive in free agency to plug them. 

• Like 1

The Steelers need to rebuild the OLine, find a QB, and find a good OC who can handle it all.

It COULD happen relatively quickly, but its doubtful.   

Hire Pep Hamilton, focus on OLine this offseason, then flush Big Turd next offseason, and 2022 can just be a hard target search for a QB.

Pray I Hope GIF

• Like 1