Why is Ja'Marr Chase the consensus top receiver?

biggie.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Marvin Harrison was skinny the day he entered the league, and the day he left it. He was fine...one of the greatest WR's ever.

He is also an inch shorter and 10 lbs heavier.  Not saying Smith can't add 10 good pounds either, but he has to do it.  Not sure why calling Smith wiry is an insult, it's the truth.  I take Smith over every WR in this draft except Chase.

22 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

He is also an inch shorter and 10 lbs heavier.  Not saying Smith can't add 10 good pounds either, but he has to do it.  Not sure why calling Smith wiry is an insult, it's the truth.  I take Smith over every WR in this draft except Chase.

Are we really going to split hairs of 1 inch and 10 pounds for an incoming rookie?

3 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

If everyone else agreed, then this discussion would have ended pages ago.

Yet here we are

Everyone who gets paid the big bucks to be a part of the draft process should. Sure...there will be draftniks that don't think it's important...but there are also lots of draftniks that are pretty ignorant about predictors of player success and analytics. 

2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Everyone who gets paid the big bucks to be a part of the draft process should. Sure...there will be draftniks that don't think it's important...but there are also lots of draftniks that are pretty ignorant about predictors of player success and analytics. 

And I'm equally sure that when the time comes, Chase will answer it too.  This thread is getting ridiculous.  I mean, are we not in the middle of a global pandemic?  And if we are, why are some questioning desire as a motive to opt out a season where he wasn't getting paid a dime (above table at least)?  At the end of the day, if he still tests well, a lot of teams won't care.  They wiol;l care onl;y when it affects their bottom line.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

And I'm equally sure that when the time comes, Chase will answer it too.  This thread is getting ridiculous.  I mean, are we not in the middle of a global pandemic?  And if we are, why are some questioning desire as a motive to opt out a season where he wasn't getting paid a dime (above table at least)?  At the end of the day, if he still tests well, a lot of teams won't care.  They wiol;l care onl;y when it affects their bottom line.

If he answers the question with a sufficient answer..."my mom has cancer...my sister has immunodeficiency" then everything will be good. If the answer is "COVID 19", then he's going to take a hit. 

If I took a year off it wouldn't hurt my earning potential? Oh contrare. 

Marvin Harrison was skinny the day he entered the league, and the day he left it. He was fine...one of the greatest WR's ever. 

With Chase, you have a guy who voluntarily decided that he'd rather avoid the risk of injury (and perhaps work) instead of improving his game on the field. Absolutely, I question his drive and his desire to play. Everyone else will as well. 

Not at all what I said and you know it. You won't suffer an injury at work that will prevent you from working. I finished my rotation in the ICU. I've seen some ****, but if I get sick I"ll still be able to recover fairly quickly and work. Not at all the same as a professional athlete who's physical health is of extreme importance to their earning potential.

Harrison was 15 pounds heavier. If Devonta Smith can put on 15 pounds of muscle and still run/cut/separate the way he does, I'll shut my mouth.

I think it's Devonta Smith at this point. The only thing that gives me pause is how poorly Alabama Receivers have worked out lately. Jury is still out on Jeudy and Ruggs, but Jefferson, Claypool, Aiyuk, and Lamb all looked better their rookie year. Cooper is the definition of hot and cold type receiver.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

10 pounds is a lot. 10 good pounds that is. That is no small feat. If it was easy, why hasn't smith gotten any bigger in several years at Alabama?

I don't think that he's going to be a guy to gain 15-20 pounds. I think that he'll probably gain 5-10 pounds with an NFL conditioning program. He'll never be a big guy...he'll always be skinny. He's not a perfect prospect, but there are only a few guys throughout the history of the NFL that I can say were just about perfect prospects. I still think that he'll be a highly competitive and good player. He could get hurt at his size...sure...but I would honestly be more worried about soft tissue injury in a guy who has been away from the game for a year. 

30 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not at all what I said and you know it. You won't suffer an injury at work that will prevent you from working. I finished my rotation in the ICU. I've seen some ****, but if I get sick I"ll still be able to recover fairly quickly and work. Not at all the same as a professional athlete who's physical health is of extreme importance to their earning potential.

Harrison was 15 pounds heavier. If Devonta Smith can put on 15 pounds of muscle and still run/cut/separate the way he does, I'll shut my mouth.

Would you take a year off because of COVID concerns?

I'm not saying that I don't understand Chase's decision. I'm just saying that it WILL be scrutinized, as it should be. Work ethic and drive will likely determine whether he gets hurts in his rookie year because of inadequate conditioning, and never achieves his potential. I am good friends with an NFL professional analytics sports med lead...and they absolutely care about these types of things.

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I don't think that he's going to be a guy to gain 15-20 pounds. I think that he'll probably gain 5-10 pounds with an NFL conditioning program. He'll never be a big guy...he'll always be skinny. He's not a perfect prospect, but there are only a few guys throughout the history of the NFL that I can say were just about perfect prospects. I still think that he'll be a highly competitive and good player. He could get hurt at his size...sure...but I would honestly be more worried about soft tissue injury in a guy who has been away from the game for a year. 

Serious question.

Is there really any difference in Bama's conditioning/sports medicine program and what an NFL team has?  Group of 5 school, sure.  Most power-5 schools, sure.  Bama?  I dunno.

• Like 1

Would you take a year off because of COVID concerns?

I'm not saying that I don't understand Chase's decision. I'm just saying that it WILL be scrutinized, as it should be. Work ethic and drive will likely determine whether he gets hurts in his rookie year because of inadequate conditioning, and never achieves his potential. I am good friends with an NFL professional analytics sports med lead...and they absolutely care about these types of things.

I'm not even saying they can't care. But I respect his decision to take care of his family and his $$$. A lot of these guys have nothing without the game. He shouldn't throw it away over a team in a league that profits off his free labor.