Why is Ja'Marr Chase the consensus top receiver?

biggie.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Serious question.

Is there really any difference in Bama's conditioning/sports medicine program and what an NFL team has?  Group of 5 school, sure.  Most power-5 schools, sure.  Bama?  I dunno.

It’s a good question. Let me contact a guy I know that does SEC coverage, and if I’m able I’ll reply. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think it's Devonta Smith at this point. The only thing that gives me pause is how poorly Alabama Receivers have worked out lately. Jury is still out on Jeudy and Ruggs, but Jefferson, Claypool, Aiyuk, and Lamb all looked better their rookie year. Cooper is the definition of hot and cold type receiver.

Calvin Ridley? Looks pretty good to me!
Jeudy and Ruggs just aren't as good as prospect as is DeVonta Smith. 
They're different players I don't get why Smith would be compared to Jeudy or Ruggs because they all went to Alabama? 
Imagine teams thinking that AJ Brown and DK Metcalf would bust because they're from Ole Miss like Laquon Treadwell... 

11 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

They're different players I don't get why Smith would be compared to Jeudy or Ruggs because they all went to Alabama? 
Imagine teams thinking that AJ Brown and DK Metcalf would bust because they're from Ole Miss like Laquon Treadwell... 

I’m saying when a school puts a long history of one position not being good in the 1st Round. Any non OL USC Offensive player comes to mind. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I’m saying when a school puts a long history of one position not being good in the 1st Round. Any non OL USC Offensive player comes to mind. 

Sure it happens. But I'd chalk it up more to coincidence than anything else. 
You thinking it would be the coaches or a certain scheme or something else?
It's possible, but I think both Smith and Waddle will end up being very good players (better than Jeudy and Ruggs) and disprove that notion. 

Edited by MagicMT

14 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Would you take a year off because of COVID concerns?

I'm not saying that I don't understand Chase's decision. I'm just saying that it WILL be scrutinized, as it should be. Work ethic and drive will likely determine whether he gets hurts in his rookie year because of inadequate conditioning,

So instead of making a blanket statement earlier that he lacks competitive drive because he sat out, can we agree that if he shows up is great shape for whatever combine they do online, that his work ethic is just fine?   

not playing =/= lazy work ethic

If he shows up like former Alabama players Andre Smith or the LB that went off the rails, then he deserves what he gets 

Edited by INbengalfan

11 hours ago, MagicMT said:

Oh yeah? 

37 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

So instead of making a blanket statement earlier that he lacks competitive drive because he sat out, can we agree that if he shows up is great shape for whatever combine they do online, that his work ethic is just fine?   

not playing =/= lazy work ethic

If he shows up like former Alabama players Andre Smith or the LB that went off the rails, then he deserves what he gets 

There’s more to work ethic than just being in physical shape. Players usually show up to pro days in shape...that’s the expectation, but it doesn’t differentiate who among those players will become great. It’s the day to day, year around grind of doing the right things...both physically and mentally. You really want competitive, hard working players, who love the game. Those are the players who are less likely to get injured, and more likely to overcome injury. They are going to be the ones who put in the work to refine their craft. As much as we’d like to think that scouting is a math equation with physical variables...that’s only one part of it. It’s why interviews are the single most important aspect of the combine, and something that draftniks see as an nebulous afterthought. 32 teams will be trying to determine if Chase loves the game...well maybe 31, because Texans don’t know what they’re doing. 

On 1/27/2021 at 4:09 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Because the NFL is a physical game and receivers who can win at the catchpoint, separate, AND dominate physically after the catch are a rarity. 

170 pounds is tiny. No doubt smith has the sauce, but if he doesn't get bigger, he's going to get roughed up in the NFL.

There was one play vs Ohio State where a defender used only one arm to do what looked like an easy body slam on WR Smith, who resembled a lightweight rag doll. I cringed, thinking how the Thin Reaper will take lumps in the more physical NFL.