2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

Looking at the GB players under contract and various type of FA combined with the "depth chart".  

GB has around $205M in cap commitments for 2021 with the salary cap hopefully falling somewhere around $190-200M

Certainly some positions highlighted in purple can be filled by players on the roster.   Dillon slides into the lead RB role.  Funchess could slide into the WR spot.   Jenkins could slide into the C spot (though that opens a hole at LG).  DL spot can be filled by Keke.   Just not seeing a viable option on the roster for the CB spots.  

Overthecap has RFA tags as projected
1st round = $4.8M
2nd round = $3.4M
Original Round = $2.2M

I can see Tonyan and Sullivan being offered 2nd round tenders that would/should limit outside teams offering contracts.   Original round for either of them would be cheaper for GB, but would result in no pick being obtained should another team offer either a contract that GB would not match.    I don't see Lancaster being worth a RFA contract at $2.2M

STARTER         ERFA RFA UFA
QB Aaron Rodgers Jordan Love       Randy Ramsey Chandon Sullivan Kevin King
RB   AJ Dillon Patrick Taylor Dexter Williams Mike Weber Kabion Ento Will Redmond Aaron Jones
FB   John Lovett       Yosh Nijman Raven Greene Corey Linsley
WR Davante Adams Devin Funchess Chris Blair     Allan Lazard Tyler Lancaster Jamaal Williams
WR MVS EQ       Malik Taylor Tim Boyle Lane Taylor
WR             Robert Tonyan Tyler Ervin
TE   Josiah Deguara Jace Sternberger Dominique Dafney Isaac Nauta   Parry Nickerson Montravius Adams
LT David Bahktiari             Marcedes Lewis
LG Elgton Jenkins Simon Stepaniak           James Burgess
C               Tavon Austin
RG Lucas Patrick John Runyan           Damon Harrison
RT Billy Turner Rick Wagner Zachary Johnson         Billy Winn

STARTER              
LDE Dean Lowry Bronson Kaufusi Tipea Gileai          
NT Kenny Clark Willington Prevlion Anthony Rush          
RDE   Kingsley Keke            
WLB Preston Smith Rashan Gary            
LILB Krys Barnes Oren Burks            
RILB Christian Kirksey Kamal Martin Ty Summers Scoota Harris        
SLB Za'Darius Smith Jonathan Garvin            
LCB Jaire Alexander Josh Jackson Stanford Samuels          
SS Adrian Amos   Ray Wilborn          
FS Darnell Savage Vernon Scott Henry Black          
RCB   Ka'dar Hollman Innis Gaines          
Slot CB                

STARTER              
PK Mason Crosby              
P JK Scott Ryan Winslow            
H JK Scott              
PR                
KR                
LS Hunter Bradley              

Well let's get the ERFA's and RFA's sorted in regards of who is definitely coming back and that'd be: Lazard, Tonyan, Ento, Sullivan(yes...), and Ramsey. I can also see Nijman and Greene back, but I'm a little hesitant on Boyle for obvious reasons. I think we've seen the last of Lancaster and maybe Will Redmond given his injury issues. 

I'm not going to comment on our UFA's, but I will say that we will cut Rick Wagner. He was wildly inconsistent against TB, he was hurt much of the year, and when he wasn't hurt he was clearly RT3. I don't see him back. People are also thinking about cutting Kirksey, but I can't see that happening either unless whoever our DC is all-in on Krys Barnes. Kirksey was a playmaker when healthy.....when healthy...

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Well let's get the ERFA's and RFA's sorted in regards of who is definitely coming back and that'd be: Lazard, Tonyan, Ento, Sullivan(yes...), and Ramsey. I can also see Nijman and Greene back, but I'm a little hesitant on Boyle for obvious reasons. I think we've seen the last of Lancaster and maybe Will Redmond given his injury issues. 

I'm not going to comment on our UFA's, but I will say that we will cut Rick Wagner. He was wildly inconsistent against TB, he was hurt much of the year, and when he wasn't hurt he was clearly RT3. I don't see him back. People are also thinking about cutting Kirksey, but I can't see that happening either unless whoever our DC is all-in on Krys Barnes. Kirksey was a playmaker when healthy.....when healthy...

Agree the ERFA are dirt cheap, minimum salary that don't really affect the top 51 salary cap calculation.  So Lazard, Ramsey, Ento, Nijman should return.   

Tonyan is a $3.4M on the 2nd round tag, same with Sullivan.   That is almost $7M in contract right there.   Certainly they can be signed to longer contracts, but there is still a process of using cap space that is not in excess with GB for 2021.  

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Tonyan is a $3.4M on the 2nd round tag, same with Sullivan.   That is almost $7M in contract right there.   Certainly they can be signed to longer contracts, but there is still a process of using cap space that is not in excess with GB for 2021.  

Does the team go to them and ask for another year on a lower contract with, in writing, the intent on giving them a long term deal worth a bit more if they can reproduce or improve upon 2020. I think that's kind of a $64,000 question here.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Does the team go to them and ask for another year on a lower contract with, in writing, the intent on giving them a long term deal worth a bit more if they can reproduce or improve upon 2020. I think that's kind of a $64,000 question here.

I just don't see how players would go for that given your career can end at any point. Could you sign them to a deal back loading a decent about for the year the new TV deal gets signed? I can't remember the year atm. 

4 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I just don't see how players would go for that given your career can end at any point. Could you sign them to a deal back loading a decent about for the year the new TV deal gets signed? I can't remember the year atm. 

Yeah, that's why it's a $64,000 question; you know you want Tonyan, but Sullivan faded down the stretch yet gave you enough to warrant another cheaper contract - I'm all for backloading, but the concern becomes how often can you make that work? As for the TV contract, that may be the saving grace for the entire league and its salary cap moving forward. The quicker that deal is signed, the easier it becomes for literally every team to move forward. Perhaps that's why the Jones contract talks have stalled.

• Like 1

I was going to add some of the RFA stuff to the salary cap thread, but decided not to.  I think I have a different opinion today than I did yesterday.  A first round tender at TE would make Tonyan number 21 among TEs, the second 25th.  I am thinking that we should put the first on him.  I don't think we will be able to match most contract offers that he could get.  Like 2 years 10 million is probably more than we can commit to right now, the Jets, Jags, Colts and Pats could easily afford that. Why not make the other team pay?  

I am uncertain what to do about Chandon Sullivan.  We got him for 1 year, 750k this season. I think he was certainly worth it.  I also agree that he faded down the stretch.  I think he was very good for a large chunk of the season, but seemed to get picked on as the year progressed.  Either the first or second round tender plops him right around what we are currently paying Jaire Alexander, in the 35-40 range.  I'm not sure that we should pay Sullivan top tier second corner money (assuming 32 teams, 64 starting CBs).

I don't think I would offer any of our other RFAs any of the tenders.  Would I try to bring them back? Probably yes to all (I know nothing about Nickerson), just not at that cost.

I would absolutely offer all of our ERFAs the minimum to get them back in camp.  Unless you think we have seen enough of Malik Taylor.  Personally, I could take or leave him.

Also, you cannot get the same compensation for two players, as suggested in the OP for Sullivan and Tonayn:

Upgraded tender: If a team places a first-round tender on a player who was selected outside of the first round, it can only receive a second-round pick as compensation for any of its other RFAs who were first-round draft picks. The same is true for the second-round tender -- if a team uses it on a player drafted in the third round or lower, it can only receive a third-round pick for any other second-round RFA it intends to tender. As an example, the Saints are reportedly using a first-round RFA tender on QB/RB/WR/TE Taysom Hill this offseason. Had New Orleans had any RFAs who were former first-round picks, it could only receive a second-round selection in return for a declined offer sheet

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know-0ap3000001106817

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I was going to add some of the RFA stuff to the salary cap thread, but decided not to.  I think I have a different opinion today than I did yesterday.  A first round tender at TE would make Tonyan number 21 among TEs, the second 25th.  I am thinking that we should put the first on him.  I don't think we will be able to match most contract offers that he could get.  Like 2 years 10 million is probably more than we can commit to right now, the Jets, Jags, Colts and Pats could easily afford that. Why not make the other team pay?  

Would a team actually be willing to give up their first round pick to sign Tonyan? 

3 minutes ago, dust247 said:
32 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Would a team actually be willing to give up their first round pick to sign Tonyan? 

Yeah, I am gladly taking a 1st round pick ...which I think shifts to a 2nd round pick based on the specific rules of the CBA.  Jets, Jags would be 33 and 34 so that would be an really good get for GB in terms of draft capital for Tonyan.  Colts are in the early 50's and NE is in the mid 40's

2 hours ago, dust247 said:

No.  At least, I really doubt it.  But that is kind of the idea.  Unless he is a one year wonder, he is at top 20 TE.  We get him at 21st price at position, or get hefty compensation in return for our development time.  

Just going through the RFAs first...

Chandon Sullivan - He's going to get ROFR tag IMO.  He's your slot corner, which is a devalued position to begin with.  If you lose him, you're not really losing any sleep over.  But the extra $1.2M that you save as opposed to slapping a 2nd round tender on him is probably going to be a looming issue.
Will Redmond - Not tendered.  He was pushed into duty when Raven Greene was injured.
Raven Greene - Not tendered.  This is probably the only one that's borderline, but the savings here could be close to $1.5M which is enough to keep the Packers from tendering him.  I think they'd like him back, but not at $2M+.
Tyler Lancaster - Not tendered.  Similar to Greene, but I think the Packers try and save some money here.
Tim Boyle - Not tendered.  They drafted Jordan Love.
Robert Tonyan - 2nd round tender.  This is the one I'm most confident they're going to tender.  Wouldn't surprise me if they slapped a FRP tender on him to scare teams away.  But an extra $1.4M in savings is going to loom large.
Parry Nickerson - Not tendered.  Easy decision.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Slapping a FRP tender on Tonyan essentially takes the market away from him.  How many teams are going to give up 4 years of team control for a TE who has 1 year of real production and probably is going to ask for a long-term deal?  IF the deal is reasonable, the Packers are going to match it.  At least with a SRP tender, that question is going to be a bigger question.  Teams just aren't willing to cough up FRPs willingly.  I don't think there are going to be many teams interested in giving up a SRP for a guy with 1 year of real production.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I would absolutely offer all of our ERFAs the minimum to get them back in camp.  Unless you think we have seen enough of Malik Taylor.  Personally, I could take or leave him.

Spotrac seems to have updated, but I'd venture that most ERFAs are brought back because their salaries are irrelevant.

1 hour ago, moretti19 said:

I have never been a fan of King but his performance for all to see might allow us to retain him for cheap. If we could get him 1 year for 4-5 mil then yes.

I agree with this. I mean the guy destroyed us last Sunday - but Amos blew an easy coverage for a TD - and - Sullivan.....well, I think he is what he is: serviceable at best.

If King was the reason we were playing soft coverages all season (read: he cant cut press man) - then I'd have to think about it - but - I've no reason to see him run out of town on a rail so we can begin the search again via the draft.

Now - another variable may be the cap situation and potential availability of cheap / quality labor this off season - but thats a wild card that falls into the "Who knows?" category. Bird in hand would take precedence. 

Add on:  I presume Jackson is a lost cause at this stage. The guy couldnt break the game day active roster when healthy.

Edited by Leader