Jump to content

2021 GB Roster & Free Agents


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I agree with this. I mean the guy destroyed us last Sunday - but Amos blew an easy coverage for a TD - and - Sullivan.....well, I think he is what he is: serviceable at best.

If King was the reason we were playing soft coverages all season (read: he cant cut press man) - then I'd have to think about it - but - I've no reason to see him run out of town on a rail so we can begin the search again via the draft.

Now - another variable may be the cap situation and potential availability of cheap / quality labor this off season - but thats a wild card that falls into the "Who knows?" category. Bird in hand would take precedence. 

Add on:  I presume Jackson is a lost cause at this stage. The guy couldnt break the game day active roster when healthy.

 

TBH King might want a fresh start somewhere too because I know a lot of fans were sending hate mail. Regardless, I agree with you that we should be able to find a vet CB2 around the 5 mil range.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Slapping a FRP tender on Tonyan essentially takes the market away from him.  How many teams are going to give up 4 years of team control for a TE who has 1 year of real production and probably is going to ask for a long-term deal?  IF the deal is reasonable, the Packers are going to match it.  At least with a SRP tender, that question is going to be a bigger question.  Teams just aren't willing to cough up FRPs willingly.  I don't think there are going to be many teams interested in giving up a SRP for a guy with 1 year of real production.

That is kind of the point of doing it.  We get back our guy for 1 year prove it, he still makes more money than he ever has, and if someone sees him as a key player, we get a first.  If he is doing well next season, throw him an extension.  If he replicates 2020, I would rather have Tonyan than a second round pick.  That second could be Greg Jennings, or it could be Quentin Rollins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Hell, this entire draft is chock full of tall CB. I'm cool bringing King back, but I'm not cracking my checkbook for him.

I'm not sure anyone is arguing to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is kind of the point of doing it.  We get back our guy for 1 year prove it, he still makes more money than he ever has, and if someone sees him as a key player, we get a first.  If he is doing well next season, throw him an extension.  If he replicates 2020, I would rather have Tonyan than a second round pick.  That second could be Greg Jennings, or it could be Quentin Rollins.

Just depends on how valuable you think Robert Tonyan is.  If you think he's replaceable, a FRP tender probably keeps teams from signing him.  But if you want a team to bite on him and collect that pick, you slap the SRP tender on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just depends on how valuable you think Robert Tonyan is.  If you think he's replaceable, a FRP tender probably keeps teams from signing him.  But if you want a team to bite on him and collect that pick, you slap the SRP tender on him.

I don't think anybody's giving up a second round pick for Tonyan. Teams really don't poach the RFAs that frequently. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure anyone is arguing to do that.

Not so sure on that; there's a couple posters who wouldn't blink an eye at "giving" him 8-10 million per year.  Personally, I'm with the majority and the crack in the checkbook better be pretty small to resign him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Not so sure on that; there's a couple posters who wouldn't blink an eye at "giving" him 8-10 million per year.  Personally, I'm with the majority and the crack in the checkbook better be pretty small to resign him. 

I'm talking King not Tonyan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Jake Hanson is still there at Center, no.?

 

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-re-sign-hanson

 

 

I think that the interior OL is pretty well stocked for this draft.  Hanson is coming back for a second go.  Jenkins and Patrick can play any of the three positions.  Turner is still under contract.  Runyan and Stepaniak are a year into the system.  We also have Zack Johnson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just depends on how valuable you think Robert Tonyan is.  If you think he's replaceable, a FRP tender probably keeps teams from signing him.  But if you want a team to bite on him and collect that pick, you slap the SRP tender on him.

Ok.  I will ask you (and everyone else), would you rather have Robert Tonyan or a second round pick?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think anybody's giving up a second round pick for Tonyan. Teams really don't poach the RFAs that frequently. 

I don't disagree.  But I think there's at least a discussion in other teams' FOs if it only costs a 2nd round pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Not so sure on that; there's a couple posters who wouldn't blink an eye at "giving" him 8-10 million per year.  Personally, I'm with the majority and the crack in the checkbook better be pretty small to resign him. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but that's the going rate for a starting CB.  Unless you truly believe he's a CB3, his pay range is somewhere around $8M/year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think that the interior OL is pretty well stocked for this draft.  Hanson is coming back for a second go.  Jenkins and Patrick can play any of the three positions.  Turner is still under contract.  Runyan and Stepaniak are a year into the system.  We also have Zack Johnson.

Lucas Patrick is just a fill guy.  If you need somoene at LG, he can play there.  If you need someone at C, he can do it.  I think the IOL is going to be determined by the 3 guys that we drafted last year.  IF Hanson can step up, he slots into the C position and Elgton Jenkins stays at LG.  If Hanson struggles or one of the other guards drafted last year, Jenkins slides into the C position and the guard goes to LG (or RG if they want to flip Lucas Patrick over there).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Ok.  I will ask you (and everyone else), would you rather have Robert Tonyan or a second round pick?

Let's re-phrase the question a little bit more honestly.  Teams are likely going to have to overpay in order to keep a team from matching an offer.  It's not a great contract comparison, but let's use Tyler Higbee (4 years, $29M) as his contract comparison.  Would you rather have a second round pick or Robert Tonyan (with a nearly $9M cap hit)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...