2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I agree with this. I mean the guy destroyed us last Sunday - but Amos blew an easy coverage for a TD - and - Sullivan.....well, I think he is what he is: serviceable at best.

If King was the reason we were playing soft coverages all season (read: he cant cut press man) - then I'd have to think about it - but - I've no reason to see him run out of town on a rail so we can begin the search again via the draft.

Now - another variable may be the cap situation and potential availability of cheap / quality labor this off season - but thats a wild card that falls into the "Who knows?" category. Bird in hand would take precedence. 

Add on:  I presume Jackson is a lost cause at this stage. The guy couldnt break the game day active roster when healthy.

TBH King might want a fresh start somewhere too because I know a lot of fans were sending hate mail. Regardless, I agree with you that we should be able to find a vet CB2 around the 5 mil range.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Slapping a FRP tender on Tonyan essentially takes the market away from him.  How many teams are going to give up 4 years of team control for a TE who has 1 year of real production and probably is going to ask for a long-term deal?  IF the deal is reasonable, the Packers are going to match it.  At least with a SRP tender, that question is going to be a bigger question.  Teams just aren't willing to cough up FRPs willingly.  I don't think there are going to be many teams interested in giving up a SRP for a guy with 1 year of real production.

That is kind of the point of doing it.  We get back our guy for 1 year prove it, he still makes more money than he ever has, and if someone sees him as a key player, we get a first.  If he is doing well next season, throw him an extension.  If he replicates 2020, I would rather have Tonyan than a second round pick.  That second could be Greg Jennings, or it could be Quentin Rollins.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is kind of the point of doing it.  We get back our guy for 1 year prove it, he still makes more money than he ever has, and if someone sees him as a key player, we get a first.  If he is doing well next season, throw him an extension.  If he replicates 2020, I would rather have Tonyan than a second round pick.  That second could be Greg Jennings, or it could be Quentin Rollins.

Just depends on how valuable you think Robert Tonyan is.  If you think he's replaceable, a FRP tender probably keeps teams from signing him.  But if you want a team to bite on him and collect that pick, you slap the SRP tender on him.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just depends on how valuable you think Robert Tonyan is.  If you think he's replaceable, a FRP tender probably keeps teams from signing him.  But if you want a team to bite on him and collect that pick, you slap the SRP tender on him.

I don't think anybody's giving up a second round pick for Tonyan. Teams really don't poach the RFAs that frequently. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure anyone is arguing to do that.

Not so sure on that; there's a couple posters who wouldn't blink an eye at "giving" him 8-10 million per year.  Personally, I'm with the majority and the crack in the checkbook better be pretty small to resign him. 

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Not so sure on that; there's a couple posters who wouldn't blink an eye at "giving" him 8-10 million per year.  Personally, I'm with the majority and the crack in the checkbook better be pretty small to resign him. 

I'm talking King not Tonyan.

8 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Jake Hanson is still there at Center, no.?

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/packers-re-sign-hanson

I think that the interior OL is pretty well stocked for this draft.  Hanson is coming back for a second go.  Jenkins and Patrick can play any of the three positions.  Turner is still under contract.  Runyan and Stepaniak are a year into the system.  We also have Zack Johnson.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Ok.  I will ask you (and everyone else), would you rather have Robert Tonyan or a second round pick?

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think anybody's giving up a second round pick for Tonyan. Teams really don't poach the RFAs that frequently. 

I don't disagree.  But I think there's at least a discussion in other teams' FOs if it only costs a 2nd round pick.

4 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but that's the going rate for a starting CB.  Unless you truly believe he's a CB3, his pay range is somewhere around $8M/year.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think that the interior OL is pretty well stocked for this draft.  Hanson is coming back for a second go.  Jenkins and Patrick can play any of the three positions.  Turner is still under contract.  Runyan and Stepaniak are a year into the system.  We also have Zack Johnson.

Lucas Patrick is just a fill guy.  If you need somoene at LG, he can play there.  If you need someone at C, he can do it.  I think the IOL is going to be determined by the 3 guys that we drafted last year.  IF Hanson can step up, he slots into the C position and Elgton Jenkins stays at LG.  If Hanson struggles or one of the other guards drafted last year, Jenkins slides into the C position and the guard goes to LG (or RG if they want to flip Lucas Patrick over there).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Ok.  I will ask you (and everyone else), would you rather have Robert Tonyan or a second round pick?

Let's re-phrase the question a little bit more honestly.  Teams are likely going to have to overpay in order to keep a team from matching an offer.  It's not a great contract comparison, but let's use Tyler Higbee (4 years, $29M) as his contract comparison.  Would you rather have a second round pick or Robert Tonyan (with a nearly $9M cap hit)?