Packers (Unofficially?) Promote Maurice Drayton to ST Coordinator

deltarich87

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Here's the benefit of the doubt I will give Drayton. If's he worth a damn, he should be able to fix the coverage units, but until Gutey gets him a bonafide return man, our KO and PR games are going to suck anyways. That should be a priority this off-season. 

I'm still trying to figure this forum I guess.  For like 95% of the games, we demand our PRs fair catch the ball and our KRs take a knee in the end zone so there's no chance of a turnover.  But we always talk about wanting a real KR and PR....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Well here ya go......I'll give you an offseason assignment.....get Cordarrelle Patterson to come over.
He led the league in kick return attempts (35) - overall yards (1017) - average p/return (29.1) - and tied for the lead in TDs (1) for CHI and is a Free Agent    👍

Patterson's replacement AAV (money over the league minimum/rookie contract, whichever is applicable)  is, and I'm not exaggerating here, higher than the entirety of our ST corps. 

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Patterson's replacement AAV (money over the league minimum/rookie contract, whichever is applicable)  is, and I'm not exaggerating here, higher than the entirety of our ST corps. 

Wouldn't doubt it a bit  ... so how about finding/drafting a fricking guy that can catch the ball, chew gum at the same time and advance the ball at least 5 yards?  The Packers kickoff and punt returners have been nothing short of terrible.  Wouldn't hurt to have a couple guys on those special teams that can cover punts and kickoffs too.  It's time that special teams become special! 

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm still trying to figure this forum I guess.  For like 95% of the games, we demand our PRs fair catch the ball and our KRs take a knee in the end zone so there's no chance of a turnover.  But we always talk about wanting a real KR and PR....

You can have both.  Context matters.   If you have a poor returner, then just fair catch or take and knee and get the offense the ball.  If you  have someone with the potential to break a big return, then it is more worth the turnover risk.   

16 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Will he speak of the pompatus of love during special teams meetings?

Good luck to him tho. Half your squad resents being on the squad. The other half is always at risk of not being here next week. The other coaches give you leftovers for meeting times, and your players' brains and minds are dulled from exertion and stress before you even get a chance to work with them. Repetitions stretch out over the entire width and length of the field at times, making communication difficult. Injuries and substitutions play havoc with who is out on the field for which ST squad, making 90% of the battle just getting the right 11 onto the field at a moment's notice.

it's a strange job.

I agree 100%.  Special teams play is and should be a reflection of the entire team and coaching staff and not just the coordinator.  Starters on offense and defense rarely play on return or coverage teams leaving the bottom half of the roster to fill these teams.  Constant roster turnover makes it hard to play consistently.

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Well here ya go......I'll give you an offseason assignment.....get Cordarrelle Patterson to come over.
He led the league in kick return attempts (35) - overall yards (1017) - average p/return (29.1) - and tied for the lead in TDs (1) for CHI and is a Free Agent    👍

I've wanted this for a few years.  Especially when he left New England.  Not only does Patterson return, he can also be a very good gunner, backup RB and possibly low end backup WR.  He is a very useful guy to have on the roster.  

But since I want it, we are going to roll with Malik, first gear, Taylor on kick off returns again. 

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The two are quite synonymous actually. When you have a guy like Malik Taylor (who has no business even being on the roster, let alone being your KR) on the field to return kicks, you want him to just "take a knee" because watching him return a kick is one of the funniest/saddest things I've ever seen in an NFL game. Same thing with the guys we've put back there on PR. Ervin was the best and he's a below-average return guy. You see other teams with good returners and how they impact the field-position game. It's an element to the game that the Packers haven't tried to address in 10+ years. Hyde was probably the best PR we've had since then...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The two are quite synonymous actually. When you have a guy like Malik Taylor (who has no business even being on the roster, let alone being your KR) on the field to return kicks, you want him to just "take a knee" because watching him return a kick is one of the funniest/saddest things I've ever seen in an NFL game. Same thing with the guys we've put back there on PR. Ervin was the best and he's a below-average return guy. You see other teams with good returners and how they impact the field-position game. It's an element to the game that the Packers haven't tried to address in 10+ years. Hyde was probably the best PR we've had since then...

There aren't that many impressive return men anymore.  The rules have changed things drastically.  Of the KRs with 20+ kick returns, only 6 average 25+ yards per return.  Of the PRs with 20+ punt returns, only 7 averaged 10+ yards per return.  There were 8 punt return TDs.  And there were 7 kick return TDs.

I've always wondered why the Packers have been heavily linked to Brayden Coombs for ST coordinator. I've finally figured it out.

Ohio State's defensive coordinator Kerry Coombs was defensive backs coach for the Titans when LaFleur was offensive coordinator. Brayden Coombs is his son.

Anyway he must've not been high on LaFleur's list the first time round because we were keen on Rizzi and ended up hiring Mennenga. Brayden Coombs was again available this time round and LaFleur still chose Draydon.

Edited by Chili

21 hours ago, 66fan said:

I agree 100%.  Special teams play is and should be a reflection of the entire team and coaching staff and not just the coordinator.  Starters on offense and defense rarely play on return or coverage teams leaving the bottom half of the roster to fill these teams.  Constant roster turnover makes it hard to play consistently.

Often good teams have a few core ST guys, though - think players like Jervey or Jarrett Bush, Steve Tasker, Jeremy Slater, etc - who can be relied on for a high level of play, and then you fill in around the edges with the marginal/transient players. 

On 1/29/2021 at 11:23 AM, packfanfb said:

Why do you say things like this? Do you know what other rosters around the league look like?

The Chiefs right now have:

Deon Yelder

Rashad Fenton

Nick Allegretti

L'Jarius Sneed

Mike Danna

Thakarius Keyes

Yasir Durant

Tommy Townsend

Tershawn Wharton

Bryon Pringle

Nick Keizer

On their 53 man roster. Every roster has back end of the rotation chum. Welcome to a league where you have to fit 63 player contracts into 200 million when one QB can take up 35 of it.