Justin Jefferson: Year Two

vike daddy

Minnesota Vikings rookie Justin Jefferson is making the most of his first offseason in the NFL — often the first time in young professional players’ careers where they have substantial time off after the high school and college grind of making it to the league. Jefferson has been in Miami training with the House of Athlete, a gym and fitness program launched by former Chicago Bears All-Pro wideout Brandon Marshall. While working out in a recent video released on his Youtube on Friday, Jefferson issued a strong challenge to himself.

Jefferson: “I ain’t dropping no balls next season — just watch. No drops. Zero. I’ll put my check on it. I’ll put my whole life savings on it.”

Jefferson’s challenge to drop zero passes will be steep as he’s poised for a prominent role in the offense next season after not starting the first two games in 2020. However, his goal is not as lofty as it seems. The 21-year-old rookie dropped just two passes on 125 targets last season, tallying a 1.6% drop rate — the third-lowest drop rate among wide receivers with at least 100 targets. He trailed only Davante Adams and DeAndre Hopkins who each had one drop last season.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/justin-jefferson-check-deestroying-youtube/?fbclid=IwAR2okzjUi9Ks0QKMKXvNPr4TQDkd2sjZ8cz0ToJCYbFJFlT4sOxFz9kS6A0

Love this kid. I’d admit, I never thought he was going to be this good. At least not this early. I thought Jerry Jeudy would have this type of start to his career. I remember Chris Simms said that Justin Jefferson is going to be better than Jeudy, and I thought he was crazy, but he was right. Respect to Chris Simms. 

I see Justin Jefferson having an even better year next season, and being a top-5 WR in this league for a long time. It’s crazy how he’s only 21 and he’s in the top-5 conversation already. Sky is the limit. 

I'd like to see a 3rd receiver step up so that we have someone else other than Thielen and Jefferson that can be a threat. Hopefully Beebe or Johnson step their game up.

There are a lot of good receivers in the NFC, but, as long as Jefferson stays healthy, I think he'll have another probowl caliber season.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd like to see a 3rd receiver step up so that we have someone else other than Thielen and Jefferson that can be a threat. Hopefully Beebe or Johnson step their game up.

There are a lot of good receivers in the NFC, but, as long as Jefferson stays healthy, I think he'll have another probowl caliber season.

Depends on the system. If we don’t change, I’d expect a continuation of a heavy two TE offense. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Irv Smith is the third receiver. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

3rd WR* We would need someone in case Thielen or Jefferson get hurt. Johnson and Beebe have been okay (notably the Panthers game) but I'm not entirely convinced they could sustain that level of production.

Yeah injuries are going to happen. Someone we can trust and rely on would be nice because Johnson and Beebe aren't scaring any defense.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

3rd WR* We would need someone in case Thielen or Jefferson get hurt. Johnson and Beebe have been okay (notably the Panthers game) but I'm not entirely convinced they could sustain that level of production.

Seth Williams, Jonathan Adams, or Romeo Doubs in the 4th round. Seth Williams would be amazing but if he’s gone, Jonathan Adams would be a great fit too. Great athlete with great hands, and one of the best blocking WRs in the draft. Good thing we have 3 4th rounders this year. There’s going to be a lot of talent in the middle rounds. 

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

Justin Jefferson selected former Vikings receiver Randy Moss as his No. 1 NFL wide receiver of all time, then he went with former Detroit Lions pass-catcher Calvin Johnson at No. 2. Coming in at No. 3 in Jefferson’s eyes is Terrell Owens, followed by Jerry Rice at No. 4, and Larry Fitzgerald at No. 5.

https://thevikingage.com/2021/02/04/justin-jefferson-minnesota-vikings-top-five-receivers/?fbclid=IwAR0eu7HbXSBCLcopZyx54JwLrbhOUHWK569k1U02IHwo5mKR8_i4DvrWkTU

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Justin Jefferson selected former Vikings receiver Randy Moss as his No. 1 NFL wide receiver of all time, then he went with former Detroit Lions pass-catcher Calvin Johnson at No. 2. Coming in at No. 3 in Jefferson’s eyes is Terrell Owens, followed by Jerry Rice at No. 4, and Larry Fitzgerald at No. 5.

https://thevikingage.com/2021/02/04/justin-jefferson-minnesota-vikings-top-five-receivers/?fbclid=IwAR0eu7HbXSBCLcopZyx54JwLrbhOUHWK569k1U02IHwo5mKR8_i4DvrWkTU

That shows extreme era bias. Given Jefferson's age his selections aren't surprising at all but his choices lack perspective.

• Like 1

The Vikings hired longtime NFL wide receiver Keenan McCardell to coach their wide receivers and he feels a special connection to the top two players in the team’s position group. First-round pick Justin Jefferson had a spectacular rookie season and Adam Thielen caught 14 touchdown passes to set a career high in his seventh season with the team. McCardell said he sees shades of his fruitful partnership with Jimmy Smith on the Jaguars in the 1990s and early 2000s.

McCardell: “I had this conversation with Adam today, I was just like, ‘You guys are similar to myself and Jimmy Smith. You guys push each other and have fun playing with each other.’ I want them to continue that because I’ve been a part of that. I understand that. It’s a friendly competition to make each other better.”

McCardell said he views Jefferson as a “blank canvas” and he wants help develop the artist who will fill that in over the coming years. He wants Thielen to “keep reinventing himself” as he moves into the later stages of his career and hitting on both fronts should make for an effective passing offense in Minnesota.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/10/keenan-mccardell-adam-thielen-justin-jefferson-like-me-and-jimmy-smith/

• Like 2