• Micah Parsons LB
    • DeVonta Smith WR
    • Kwity Paye DE/DT
    • Ja'Marr Chase WR
    • Patrick Surtain III CB
    • Trey Lance QB
    • Jaylen Waddle WR

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Well, we don't have a middle 2nd... the pains of being a bad team, we draft at the top of rounds. 😂 

Haha yea, still adjusting back and forth between Rams and Lions picks. But with where the Lions are, and not needing a QB (although they obviously could still draft one) there could be movement and pick gathering. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

D'Wayne Eskridge is my WR crush in this Draft. Twitchy athlete who can absolutely fly (4.3 40), but he catches the ball well and runs good routes.

I like him too, I think there is a lot of really good WR talent through the Top 100 this year

9 hours ago, davisblack said:

I'd prefer to go defense with #7 or trade back.

I'm fine with giving Goff a chance for a year or two and picking at least one WR in rounds 2-5.

i agree. Do you like Parsons?  I think Caleb Farley will be a stud but not at 7 and corner again really is just not logical when their big contracts come in 3 and 4 years. Zaven Collins is another one. trade down of course. Wish we weren't tied to Decker for so long. Tons of nice tackles. We need pass rush..Oline..LBs are bad too..really just need BPA and get some talent on this team. 

1 hour ago, NFL_Fan said:

i agree. Do you like Parsons?  I think Caleb Farley will be a stud but not at 7 and corner again really is just not logical when their big contracts come in 3 and 4 years. Zaven Collins is another one. trade down of course. Wish we weren't tied to Decker for so long. Tons of nice tackles. We need pass rush..Oline..LBs are bad too..really just need BPA and get some talent on this team. 

Decker is one of the better tackles in the league and the last thing we need on this team is to a) increase the holes on the roster and b) reduce the protection that our QB (Goff or QBOTF) will get, especially on the left side. We have a borderline elite left side we just need to shore things up at RT. 

Given the mandate that this team has (and what seems to be their philosophy at this stage), I'd rather trade down and acquire future picks. The draft is already a crapshoot and this year makes it really tough to scout. There is likely going to be some talented guys that drop well below where they should be going because of this. We also add more ammunition towards next year, which (hopefully) should be a more traditional draft/scouting format. 

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Wilson isn't the exception anymore. Kyler Murray is a pretty good QB. I disagree on De'Anthony Thomas. Devonta Smith is a traditional WR (and has been his entire Alabama career). Thomas was a gadget guy. If you don't see the film of a top 10 pick, I respect that. I simply don't agree with the notion that Smith isn't worth it because he's skinny. Whether or not his film is worth it is a fair question.

But its a combination of the two.  NFL CBs can body you at the line.  They dont let you get free releases if they are pressing.  What I see on film is him running pre snap motions to get a matchup on a LB and then taking advantage of it.  Or motions to not allow bumps at the line.  Combine that with the fact I feel NFL DBs and LBs can run with him and bump him off his routes is what makes me question his ability for his film to translate to the NFL.  If it was just film, Mac Jones would be the top rated QB, and every heisman winner would have had elite NFL careers, but that is rarely the case. 

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

But its a combination of the two.  NFL CBs can body you at the line.  They dont let you get free releases if they are pressing.  What I see on film is him running pre snap motions to get a matchup on a LB and then taking advantage of it.  Or motions to not allow bumps at the line.  Combine that with the fact I feel NFL DBs and LBs can run with him and bump him off his routes is what makes me question his ability for his film to translate to the NFL.  If it was just film, Mac Jones would be the top rated QB, and every heisman winner would have had elite NFL careers, but that is rarely the case. 

This is grossly hyperbolic. But you've painted your narrative and want to live and die by it based on your own set of facts.

No one can make you see what we see in the player. At this point someone will just have to be proven wrong through play. 

IT's a highlight reel, but he's rarely in motion during these, not covered by LB's, and beats a CB in press coverage for a TD 1:25 in. It's a highlight reel though that doesn't fit into what you're trying to sell so. Idk how serious this will be taken.

Edited by SimbaWho

34 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

This is grossly hyperbolic. But you've painted your narrative and want to live and die by it based on your own set of facts.

No one can make you see what we see in the player. At this point someone will just have to be proven wrong through play. 

IT's a highlight reel, but he's rarely in motion during these, not covered by LB's, and beats a CB in press coverage for a TD 1:25 in. It's a highlight reel though that doesn't fit into what you're trying to sell so. Idk how serious this will be taken.

On that play, he is blocking and slips off the block, that is not bump coverage.  Its a gadget play in which the DB is trying to get past him, not cover him. Every play on the highlight reel he is getting a free release and beating bad coverage.  I am glad he can do that but so can a lot of WRs.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

On that play, he is blocking and slips off the block, that is not bump coverage.  Its a gadget play in which the DB is trying to get passed him, not cover him. Every play on the highlight reel he is getting a free release and beating bad coverage.  I am glad he can do that but so can a lot of WRs.  

Guess we'll just have to see what he does in the pros at this point huh?

• Like 1

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/devonta-smith-2021-nfl-draft-evaluation-size-concerns

This is pretty much my take and explains my position with the only other examples of people close to his size.  Like I said, I think he is solid and will have a pretty good career if he goes to a team that can use him like he was this year.  If he has to go up against #1 CBs and is the focal point of an offense, he will fail.  He just isn't the guy at 7 and there are 2 or 3 other WRs I would take over him.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/devonta-smith-2021-nfl-draft-evaluation-size-concerns

This is pretty much my take and explains my position with the only other examples of people close to his size.  Like I said, I think he is solid and will have a pretty good career if he goes to a team that can use him like he was this year.  If he has to go up against #1 CBs and is the focal point of an offense, he will fail.  He just isn't the guy at 7 and there are 2 or 3 other WRs I would take over him.  

Fair enough bud. Through this convo I've lost who you like if forced at 7, Parsons?

9 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I’m really starting to come around to the thought of taking a QB at 7.  I don’t want to trade up but I’m starting to think the big 4 might end up the top 4 players on our BB.

The only way they select Trey Lance or even Justin Fields (to a lesser extent) is if these guys just wow in workouts/interviews. Fields has a lot more tape than Lance but he's also just so raw. Lance has really only played one real year of football at the D2 level. It was a really good year and there are a lot of tools but a large part of the game is mental. The Packers just took a guy in the mold of Lance in Jordan Love at #26 with a lot more game experience and tape. 

In this COVID year and the additional difficulties of already scouting that position, I think the Lions punt on QB this year (maybe take a chance on someone in the middle rounds) and look at the 2022 or even 2023 class. We have Goff under contract until 2024. We don't have a "win now" mandate. Why force the issue and waste a pick unless you're absolutely certain this guy can become "the guy". 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I’m really starting to come around to the thought of taking a QB at 7.  I don’t want to trade up but I’m starting to think the big 4 might end up the top 4 players on our BB.

I’m the exact opposite. We are practically forced into Goff playing at least the next two years. I’m not ok with taking our #7 and using it on somebody to sit for two years. If Goff sucks, we’ll have a high draft pick next year and the year after when there’s still really good QBs coming out in 22 and 23. If Goff is good to great, then we wasted a #7 on someone we never ended up needing as the guy who’s going to be our future is already under contract for the next four years and is only 26. 

Like yeah, Goff has shown signs of sucking but he can turn it around under new guidance so we have to at least give him a chance to do so and that’s not by using a #7 on his replacement before he’s even played a game for us. 

Edited by HashtagFTW
  • Like 2