Barry it is.....

Leader

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Lol nice deflection.

We'll never know because we picked up another failed retread.

You deflected. I'm still on the subject. Bowles was a known commodity. Evero is a dart throw. With only 32 head coaching jobs, I wouldn't risk mine on a dart throw

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bowles wasn't available. What relevance does he have in this situation?

You know the relevance. You just hate Barry so you want everyone else to fight the fight because there is no argument for hiring a guy like Evero. Zero. Not in the corporate world or the football world. He has limited experience teaching one position group. Of course we are arguing on paper. But wait - Evero was interviewed. Well there you go. End of story.  Bowles relevance ? His resume.

Edited by cannondale

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You know the relevance. You just hate Barry so you want everyone else to fight the fight because there is no argument for hiring a guy like Evero. Zero. Not in the corporate world or the football world. He has limited experience teaching one position group. Of course we are arguing on paper. But wait - Evero was interviewed. Well there you go. End of story.  Bowles relevance ? His resume

It's clear you're one of those old fashioned "experience" sticklers that's the reason the same mediocre candidates get hired and fired over and over again, in corporate world, and football world. That's fine, not worth my time. No risk, no reward.

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's clear you're one of those old fashioned "experience" sticklers that's the reason the same mediocre candidates get hired and fired over and over again, in corporate world, and football world. That's fine, not worth my time. No risk, no reward.

If you mean I try to keep it real - guilty as charged. It's easy to take risks via keyboard and be able to say "I said we should have hired an up and comer." An up and comer like Nagy ?? An up and comer like Gase ??  New England provided some of the best failed up and comers in history. Give me a name. Who would you have hired ?? I don't have a horse in this race. I kinda wondered how a guy like Caldwell would do - but it doesn't really matter.

I'm not saying Barry is the answer. That's never been my argument. But I can surely understand why he was hired. And I can surely understand why Evero wasn't. Since this discussion is happening on paper - without interviews - being a stickler has nothing to do with it. I also said from day one that you have to trust MLF's judgement because he sure as hell knows his neck is on the line. And Evero had an interview - maybe even two. And MLF knew him from LA and considers him a friend. And he wasn't hired. That's good enough for me. So you can hate Barry and MLF too

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chili said:

The fact of the matter is the stuff we cant see on paper such as personality, mentality, eloquentness, confidence, knowledge, charisma all carry lot of weight in interviews and this is where Barry may have shined.

Ya exactly. The fact of the matter is none of us were in the interviews so we shouldn’t make assumptions about race playing a role in it

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You deflected. I'm still on the subject. Bowles was a known commodity. Evero is a dart throw. With only 32 head coaching jobs, I wouldn't risk mine on a dart throw

Umm...Head Coach? Evero? Wat? 😵

Also looking at other posts, are you really comparing Bowles with Barry for your hiring experience argument.

Hiring for experience is fine as long they have proven to generate results.

Barry clearly is not.

That's where risk/reward comes in, choosing an inexperienced guy over an failed experienced one is a viable strategy because something wonderful may result out of it which you would never have discovered with a failed experienced one in a million years.

People who take the risks have the opportunity to reap the rewards while everyone else looks on enviously.

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Also looking at other posts, are you really comparing Bowles with Barry for your hiring experience argument.

Barry clearly is not.

That's where risk/reward comes in, choosing an inexperienced guy over an failed experienced one is a viable strategy because something wonderful may result out of it which you would never have discovered with a failed experienced one in a million years.

People who take the risks have the opportunity to reap the rewards while everyone else looks on enviously.

If you are a head coach and hire the wrong DC or OC it could mean your job if it goes bad. While others look on with no envy and laugh at you for making a bad hire

I compared Barry with Bowles because both have coordinated a defense. While I'm not an expert, I'm guessing thats a big jump for someone who has only coached safeties for 3 years and has a room full of guys who all have more coaching experience.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

Barry clearly is not.

I think it should be acknowledged that what LaFleur did was risky, although not in the way that is attractive to the regular fan.

I think ultimately as has been said by some here, that LeFleur wants more control of the defence. The reason I think the Packers improved during the season was MLF getting more involved. Barry fits the bill in the sense he is competent enough that he has been a DC and and assistant HC knows what that means, stand up in front of guys, lead etc. LeFleur is going with Barry on the basis that he'll have better talent than before and that MLF will help him shape it. Risk is significantly lower to do that than go with anyone else.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2021/02/08/green-bay-packers-matt-lafleur-wants-run-fangio-defensive-scheme/4438554001/

However, Barry played a key role in helping Staley establish his defense and McVay thought enough of him to give him the assistant head coach title. He quickly took to the new system and has spent countless hours with Staley developing their take on the scheme.

He and LaFleur are expected to do the same thing together in Green Bay.

For better or for worse, as much as anything, I suspect this is probably a big part of why LaFleur chose Barry over Evero.  

An interesting theory emerging in this thread about why Barry was selected over Evero - that Barry could be more amenable to MLF’s input on shaping the defense - is an interesting one, and one that honestly very few people would know other than MLF himself.

I postulated earlier in this thread that I thought MLF was looking for a candidate that wouldn’t challenge him (for better and worse), and this emerging theory that MLF wants to have much more input on the defense, aligns.

I know I am going to shock some on here by going the optimistic route, but I do trust Gute and MLF. I am willing to see how it pans out. I do get the frustration but I think there are some good points such as the type of players he had. I think I agree and forgive me who said it, but I agree he is brought in to see through what MLF wants of his defense. High energy and never let a play like the one we ended the first half of the NFC championship with happen again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

An interesting theory emerging in this thread about why Barry was selected over Evero - that Barry could be more amenable to MLF’s input on shaping the defense - is an interesting one, and one that honestly very few people would know other than MLF himself.

I postulated earlier in this thread that I thought MLF was looking for a candidate that wouldn’t challenge him (for better and worse), and this emerging theory that MLF wants to have much more input on the defense, aligns.

Just want to point out that MLF having more input does not mean he doesn’t want someone to challenge him. LaFleur has been one of the best coaches in the league at listening to and responding to questions about his decisions.

• Like 1