Barry it is.....

Leader

This thread focuses on how the Bears will adopt some of the Staley/Fangio principles with their new DC, but I assume many of this will be applicable to the system Barry runs as well.

https://twitter.com/BRobNFL/status/1352806964632330241?s=20

From what I’ve read from the Twitter thread and the article that I posted, it sounds like we will be running more “Cover 2 shell”, showing more cover 2 looks with the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage but rotating to different coverages from that. There also seems to be more two gap requirements on the DL, but I’m still unclear as to what else is special about this front. LaFleur is quoted as saying the variety of fronts that can be presented makes game planning difficult. It was also emphasized to have at least one OLB who is versatile - which makes me believe that P. Smith sticks around this season. 

24 minutes ago, deathstar said:

From what I’ve read from the Twitter thread and the article that I posted, it sounds like we will be running more “Cover 2 shell”, showing more cover 2 looks with the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage but rotating to different coverages from that. There also seems to be more two gap requirements on the DL, but I’m still unclear as to what else is special about this front. LaFleur is quoted as saying the variety of fronts that can be presented makes game planning difficult. It was also emphasized to have at least one OLB who is versatile - which makes me believe that P. Smith sticks around this season. 

Those two things are contradictory.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Yeah when you show cover 2 looks, you're going to be showing 2 deep, same with cover 4 and cover 6. You can mix up your safeties a little more with cover 1 and 3 because you have a SS with responsibility closer to the LOS.

Fangio defenses play a lot of robber coverage, which is showing 2 deep and then running a safety into the box at the snap. It's hard to do something truly unique in the secondary as the zone coverages have been around forever. The uniqueness of a defense is going to be how you blitz and how you assign gap responsibilities. Haven't read enough about Fangio to give you info here yet, maybe @AlexGreen#20 would know more.

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Those two things are contradictory.

I guess I got two things mixed up - what’s it called when two safeties are aligned 10-12 yards from the LOS?

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah when you show cover 2 looks, you're going to be showing 2 deep, same with cover 4 and cover 6. You can mix up your safeties a little more with cover 1 and 3 because you have a SS with responsibility closer to the LOS.

Fangio defenses play a lot of robber coverage, which is showing 2 deep and then running a safety into the box at the snap. It's hard to do something truly unique in the secondary as the zone coverages have been around forever. The uniqueness of a defense is going to be how you blitz and how you assign gap responsibilities. Haven't read enough about Fangio to give you info here yet, maybe @AlexGreen#20 would know more.

Sounds like that may play into Savage’s strengths some? 

It also sounds like the DL/OLBs are going to have to play more within the defense, if I’m reading things correctly.

So with Barry, M4's desire is to bring in the Fangio defense.  Okay, got it.

Anyone got a bead on Barry's ability to strategically call a defense?  Let's assume without argument that Detroit and WFT were both absolutely undermined by the talent.  I heard he didn't call plays in Detroit.  So what about WFT?  The only article I saw from that time was a criticism that boiled down to "the players aren't executing what Barry envisions".  Based on the assumptive pretense that puts that at the talents' feet, did Barry demonstrate the ability to call plays strategically?  Can he challenge an offense and make them work for it?

It almost seems to me that if we accept the premise that the talent was completely devoid in the prior two stops, the open question isn't "can he be a good DC?", it's "can he call a good game?".  Anyone have any insight or thoughts on that?

On 2/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, Leader said:

Tom Silverstein  -    It's official, Packers coach Matt LaFleur has told people he is hiring LA Chargers passing game coordinator Joe Barry as his next defensive coordinator, a source said. It was down to Barry and Ejiro Evero and after Jim Leonhard turned down LaFleur, but went for the experience.

He was Asst Head Coach on the Rams right?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Anyone got a bead on Barry's ability to strategically call a defense?  Let's assume without argument that Detroit and WFT were both absolutely undermined by the talent.  I heard he didn't call plays in Detroit.  So what about WFT?  The only article I saw from that time was a criticism that boiled down to "the players aren't executing what Barry envisions".  Based on the assumptive pretense that puts that at the talents' feet, did Barry demonstrate the ability to call plays strategically?  Can he challenge an offense and make them work for it?

It almost seems to me that if we accept the premise that the talent was completely devoid in the prior two stops, the open question isn't "can he be a good DC?", it's "can he call a good game?".  Anyone have any insight or thoughts on that?

Barry intends to run the Fangio defense. Should be aggressive and interesting.

25 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

I think that's the unknown .. not sure what kind of a tactician we've added here.  It's a wait and see.

I think sticking with just GBs current defensive staff would be a mistake for someone trying to implement a new scheme from the outside. I highly doubt he cleans house or fires anyone significant on the defensive side, but I feel like he's got to bring someone familiar with the new system with him to help implement it. Maybe he can give a promotion to one of the younger assistants from either LA team.

29 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think sticking with just GBs current defensive staff would be a mistake for someone trying to implement a new scheme from the outside. I highly doubt he cleans house or fires anyone significant on the defensive side, but I feel like he's got to bring someone familiar with the new system with him to help implement it. Maybe he can give a promotion to one of the younger assistants from either LA team.

Defenses are way more about developing players than coaching schemes. Defensive schemes are not complicated.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Maybe he can give a promotion to one of the younger assistants from either LA team.

Couple of possible names: 

Thad Bogardus - assistant D Line coach at the Rams, 7 years experience, last 4 at the Rams.
Chris Shula - OLB coach, 6 years experience, last 4 with the Rams

The Broncos, who are under Fangio, have a number of names of coaches with more experience who are potential targets, not sure Barry would know any of them or not
Reggie Herring - Linebacker coach, 14 years experience
Bill Kollar - Dline coach, 31 years experience
John Pagano - Outside Linebackers coach, 25 years experience

If the Packers/Barry offers a promotion and a change of scene maybe these are possible candidates. Who knows...

It's not like we're making a massive scheme guys, look at the history of Fangio. Spent his early years in NO, who was the DB coach there that whole time? Dom Capers. Got his first DC gig in Carolina, who was his HC? Dom Capers. Few years later he gets another DC gig in Houston, HC? Dom Capers. After some firings he gets a gig as a special assistant to the HC in Baltimore under Harbaugh, who's the DC he's under? Rex Ryan, OLBs coach? Mike Pettine.

He's developed some of his own wrinkles as he's aged and gained more responsibility in the last 10 years, but the roots of his scheme have a lot of the same core principles from our last two schemes. This isn't switching from McCarthy to LaFleur.