There hasn't been a Hall of Fame-worthy RB drafted in over a decade

Apparition

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Priest was an exceptional RB though, just had a fluke spine injury that ended it.

Yup. And I fully believe that if Davis is in the HOF, he ought to be as well. I just never see people arguing for it as vociferously as during Davis' candidacy and I can't help but wonder why. 

3 hours ago, Starless said:

Yup. And I fully believe that if Davis is in the HOF, he ought to be as well. I just never see people arguing for it as vociferously as during Davis' candidacy and I can't help but wonder why. 

Alexander breaking his record (hilarious because he was also on pace to break his own record in 05 before he got hurt) and then Larry Johnson having that one year diminishes his legacy apparently despite him being a stupid good player. Idk, people forget a lot of these guys they shouldn't, Priest was a monster. Honestly I think a lot of it stems from him just playing in KC which until Reid got there was uh, a joke of a franchise that nobody cared about and couldn't win anything alongside the rest of his team being just "okay".

15 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Alexander breaking his record (hilarious because he was also on pace to break his own record in 05 before he got hurt) and then Larry Johnson having that one year diminishes his legacy apparently despite him being a stupid good player. Idk, people forget a lot of these guys they shouldn't, Priest was a monster. Honestly I think a lot of it stems from him just playing in KC which until Reid got there was uh, a joke of a franchise that nobody cared about and couldn't win anything alongside the rest of his team being just "okay".

Don’t get me wrong,  I love priest.  

But he ran behind 2 Hall of Famers,  along with another Top 3-5 G at the time.  Plus Wiegmann and Tait were good.   I’ve never thought Priest should be in the Hall.     He was a good back,  that ran behind one the greatest lines.  
Our offense was always top notch those years, mainly because the OL dominated everyone.    

Edited by samsel23
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Don’t get me wrong,  I love priest.  

But he ran behind 2 Hall of Famers,  along with another Top 3-5 G at the time.  Plus Wiegmann and Tait were good.   I’ve never thought Priest should be in the Hall.     He was a good back,  that ran behind one the greatest lines.  
Our offense was always top notch those years, mainly because the OL dominated everyone.    

Should we revisit just how exceptional those Alex Gibbs lines were for the Broncos? Or are we all sticking our heads in the sand on those? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Should we revisit just how exceptional those Alex Gibbs lines were for the Broncos? Or are we all sticking our heads in the sand on those? 

You can.   My point being that OL was a huge part of Holmes success,  and I love Holmes.  

Any RB that played behind that line was getting 4-5 yards a carry.   Made the Jets think Derrick Blaylock was something at least, inking him to a 5 year deal.    It’s not like that offense was bad,  the defense was just abysmal 

Edited by samsel23

2 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Maybe it's the SB MVP and two rings?

Here we go again with this crap. 

1. Priest HAS a ring. He was a 1000-yard rusher on that 2000 Ravens team. He, Jamal Lewis and Shannon Sharpe WERE that team's offense.

2. For non-QBs, postseason accolades are largely contingent on the quality of the teams they're on. Julian Edelman has 3 rings, a SBMVP and the 2nd most postseason receptions and yards in history, but nobody's about to argue that he's a better receiver than Brandon Marshall, who never even played in the postseason. 

8 minutes ago, Starless said:

Here we go again with this crap. 

1. Priest HAS a ring. He was a 1000-yard rusher on that 2000 Ravens team. He, Jamal Lewis and Shannon Sharpe WERE that team's offense.

2. For non-QBs, postseason accolades are largely contingent on the quality of the teams they're on. Julian Edelman has 3 rings, a SBMVP and the 2nd most postseason receptions and yards in history, but nobody's about to argue that he's a better receiver than Brandon Marshall, who never even played in the postseason. 

Not quite.

He ran for 1000 in 98 but by the time 00 rolled around he only put up 588 yards. Jamal was the clear #1 RB on that offense the moment he stepped on the field as a rookie.

Priest was still a great 3rd down back that year though

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Starless said:

Priest Holmes had a more productive career than Davis. Do you feel the same about him?

They were both the best RB and maybe the best player in the league for about a 3 year period.

• Holmes had 4590 yards rushing at 4.8 a carry, 6566 yards from scrimmage, and 61 total TDs (regular season)
  • Davis had 5296 yards rushing at 4.8 a carry, 6110 yards from scrimmage, and 53 total TDs (regular season)

Now add in the playoff numbers and Davis passes Holmes.

I like Priest Holmes. I think he did enough with those 3 years, 94 total regular season TDs, 8k+ rushing yards and 11k+ yards from scrimmage that he belongs in the HoF.

• You can't tell the complete story of the NFL without Priest Holmes and those great offense / red carpet D Chiefs. (and the phantom Gonzo push off penalty)

Id rather have a 100 member HoF filled with players who were first team all-pro 3 years in a row than a HoF filled with Andre Reed,  Edge James, and Jim Kelly types.

• I will take a Hall that has both though.

The fact of the matter is that Terrell Davis is the best RB to ever play in the playoffs. He did this over 8 games in 3 years and he was a SB MVP.

He was the best player on back to back SB Champions (Elway and Shannon Sharpe will tell you this)

Barry Sanders and Jim Brown may have been better peak regular season RBs but they faded in the playoffs.

Emmitt Smith and Franco Harris accumulated more in the playoffs, but Davis was better.

The only one who comes close to him was Riggins in 1982-83 or Emmitt on those 3 SB teams.

Davis has 7 games of 100+ rushing in 8 playoff games.

• Emmitt had 7 in 17 games
  • Thermal had 6 in 22
  • Jim Brown had 1 in 4 games
  • Barr Sanders  REDACTED (it just hurts feelings)
  • Riggins had 6 in 9
  • Beast Mode had 6 in 13
  • Franco had 5 in 19
  • Tony Dorsett had 3 in 17
  • Marcus Allen had 5 in 16

Davis averaged 142.5 rushing yards per game in the playoffs.

• Arian Foster is #2 at 128.8 in 4 games  (he had his own 3 year window, just not on the Holmes/Davis level)
  • Timmy Smith is 3rd at 114 based on that nutty 200+ Super Bowl and a 3 game sample size.
  • Mostert is at 112 based on his game vs Green Bay and his 3 game sample size.
  • King Henry is at 111.7 over 6+ games
  • The first current HoF level competition for Davis is Riggins at 110.5
  • No other HoF RB is above 94 (Emmitt is at 93.3)

King Henry has 3 games of 150+ rushing in 6 playoff games. This is incredible.

• Davis has 4 in 8 games.
Edited by SkippyX

10 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

They were both the best RB and maybe the best player in the league for about a 3 year period.

• Holmes had 4590 yards rushing at 4.8 a carry, 6566 yards from scrimmage, and 61 total TDs (regular season)
  • Davis had 5296 yards rushing at 4.8 a carry, 6110 yards from scrimmage, and 53 total TDs (regular season)

Now add in the playoff numbers and Davis passes Holmes.

I like Priest Holmes. I think he did enough with those 3 years, 94 total regular season TDs, 8k+ rushing yards and 11k+ yards from scrimmage that he belongs in the HoF.

• You can't tell the complete story of the NFL without Priest Holmes and those great offense / red carpet D Chiefs. (and the phantom Gonzo push off penalty)

Id rather have a 100 member HoF filled with players who were first team all-pro 3 years in a row than a HoF filled with Andre Reed,  Edge James, and Jim Kelly types.

• I will take a Hall that has both though.

The fact of the matter is that Terrell Davis is the best RB to ever play in the playoffs. He did this over 8 games in 3 years and he was a SB MVP.

He was the best player on back to back SB Champions (Elway and Shannon Sharpe will tell you this)

Barry Sanders and Jim Brown may have been better peak regular season RBs but they faded in the playoffs.

Emmitt Smith and Franco Harris accumulated more in the playoffs, but Davis was better.

The only one who comes close to him was Riggins in 1982-83 or Emmitt on those 3 SB teams.

Davis has 7 games of 100+ rushing in 8 playoff games.

• Emmitt had 7 in 17 games
  • Thermal had 6 in 22
  • Jim Brown had 1 in 4 games
  • Barr Sanders  REDACTED (it just hurts feelings)
  • Riggins had 6 in 9
  • Beast Mode had 6 in 13
  • Franco had 5 in 19
  • Tony Dorsett had 3 in 17
  • Marcus Allen had 5 in 16

Davis averaged 142.5 rushing yards per game in the playoffs.

• Arian Foster is #2 at 128.8 in 4 games  (he had his own 3 year window, just not on the Holmes/Davis level)
  • Timmy Smith is 3rd at 114 based on that nutty 200+ Super Bowl and a 3 game sample size.
  • Mostert is at 112 based on his game vs Green Bay and his 3 game sample size.
  • King Henry is at 111.7 over 6+ games
  • The first current HoF level competition for Davis is Riggins at 110.5
  • No other HoF RB is above 94 (Emmitt is at 93.3)

King Henry has 3 games of 150+ rushing in 6 playoff games. This is incredible.

• Davis has 4 in 8 games.

So I'm just gonna ask the question, what the **** are you talking about????

I'm just going the 1998 All Pro Team and the All Decade Teams and you're out of your damn mind.

I'll leave off Barry Sanders, Bruce Smith, Bruce Matthews, and Reggie White as being old guys. 

Now look me in the eye and make the argument for either of those guys over:

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Terrell Owens

Randy Moss

Jerry Rice

Larry Allen

Willie Roaf

Tony Boselli

Jonathan Ogden

Walter Jones

Will Shields

Warren Sapp

John Randle

Michael Strahan

Derrick Thomas

Ray Lewis

Junior Seau

Deion Sanders

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So I'm just gonna ask the question, what the **** are you talking about????

I'm just going the 1998 All Pro Team and the All Decade Teams and you're out of your damn mind.

I'll leave off Barry Sanders, Bruce Smith, Bruce Matthews, and Reggie White as being old guys. 

Now look me in the eye and make the argument for either of those guys over:

Brett Favre

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Terrell Owens

Randy Moss

Jerry Rice

Larry Allen

Willie Roaf

Tony Boselli

Jonathan Ogden

Walter Jones