There hasn't been a Hall of Fame-worthy RB drafted in over a decade

Apparition

39 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The thing that gives me pause is that we've never seen someone that big run that fast before. I think he has a good chance to play at a high level until he gets to 30. A reduction in carries would be ideal though. Vrabel needs to dial it back some. 

The problem is, his size-speed combo may, theoretically, be his undoing. The bigger the body, the more prone to potential injury, and if you combine that with a faster velocity? Ouch.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:22 PM, Starless said:

I think Derrick Henry might be the one guy who can actually buck the trend and produce at a high level into his late 20s, just because he's such a massive load and can absorb more hits than smaller RBs. But all it really takes is one unlucky hit or tweak of the knee to derail a promising career. 

Christian Okoye was built to take hits too. Was a nightmare to tackle and put up monster numbers. Big backs don’t agree gracefully though with the exception of Bettis in recent memory. 

On 2/28/2021 at 1:49 AM, Leoric said:

Christian Okoye was built to take hits too. Was a nightmare to tackle and put up monster numbers. Big backs don’t agree gracefully though with the exception of Bettis in recent memory. 

I don't think history agrees with you, when you consider the sustained success of guys like Adrian Peterson, Dickerson, Jim Brown, Steven Jackson, etc.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:49 AM, Leoric said:

Okoye and Earl Campbell were the run into 8 people type of backs.

Henry runs away from people and stiff arms them out of the way.

So far he has taken way less big hits then your typical huge target back.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 4:00 PM, SkippyX said:

A bit on Ricky Williams for those interested:

• He's got 103 TDs between playoffs and regular season.
  • He has 5 pro bowls
  • He is top 20 in yards from scrimmage among RBs
    • I get that Steven Jackson and Warrick Dunn are too, but they did not have Ricky's playoffs
  • He has 1117 yards from scrimmage and 12 TDs in 11 playoff games
    • Roger Craig had 1447 and 9 in 18 playoff games
    • Marshall Faulk had 1121 and 8 in 12 games
  • He had a 5 TD playoff game vs the Giants.
  • He had a 3 TD Super Bowl (MVP level, though clearly Steve Young was the best that day)

He was both a star among stars in SF and a guy who carried schlock to the playoffs twice in Philly.

• The 1995-1996 Eagles QBs had 30 TDs and 37 picks. Ricky (and Charlie Garner) carried those teams
  • His career ypc in the playoffs dropped to 3.8 because he got abused at the line on Philly and Seattle.
    • He still managed to be dangerous as a receiver in those games.

Ricky Watters

• Like 1

Power backs don't have long careers. Henry isnt a traditional power back, he uses his long speed and long arms. He takes his shots, but he isnt a brute. 

Hunt is a more physical runner than Chubb. Imo chubb will play longer based on play style and if his knee holds up.

Derick Henry is on his way. Setting stats aside, when I watch him play, I feel like I’m watching one of the best running backs I’ve ever seen. He probably needs 2 or 3 more years like the last two he had.

The role of a running back has changed and the league has changed. It’ll be interesting if a guy like Kamara makes it. If he produces like he has for another 5 years, let’s say, I think he should. He’s like the poster child of these new age running backs. 

Edited by SDotNova

On 2/18/2021 at 9:47 AM, scar988 said:

Anyway, back to the topic since no one answered my questions:

If guys like Curtis Martin and Terrell Davis are in the Hall of Fame, why can't guys like Warrick Dunn and Tiki Barber also be in? 

Anyone who thinks Terrell Davis is a marginal HoF candidate doesn't deserve to watch the NFL. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Anyone who thinks Terrell Davis is a marginal HoF candidate doesn't deserve to watch the NFL. 

Terrell Davis from 1996-1998 might be the greatest RB to ever play the game. However, literally zero longevity. Really only 4 years played due to injuries. 

Do William Andrews or Ray Rice deserve to get in too?

6 hours ago, scar988 said:

Terrell Davis from 1996-1998 might be the greatest RB to ever play the game. However, literally zero longevity. Really only 4 years played due to injuries. 

Do William Andrews or Ray Rice deserve to get in too?

William Andrews in the playoffs:  2 games 91 yards 0 TDs 3.6 per carry

Ray Rice in the playoffs:  12 games (10 starts) 750 yards 5 TDs 3.9 per carry (2.95 per carry and no TDs in the Super Bowl)

Terrell Davis in the playoffs: 8 games 1140 yards 12 TDs 5.6 per carry SB MVP

ExcellentPlayfulGharial-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Think I know the answer, but this has never happened before, right?

Paul Hornung never even came close but season was shorter. Gale Sayers only had two, Marcus Allen only 3 

I think TDs, yards per carry, and yards from scrimmage are more important than hitting 1000 yards rushing.

If Kamara could duplicate his last 4 years he's close to already a HoF back. A couple more years on top would make it certain.

• 125+ TDs and 15k yards from scrimmage would do it.