House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

19 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

For those who watched, did this have early GOT vibes, collapse in progress GOT vibes, or radioactive dumpster fire GOT vibes?

Would be interested in watching if collapsing or better.

Early. A very good start. Not as good as the GoT premiere, but very good.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

For those who watched, did this have early GOT vibes, collapse in progress GOT vibes, or radioactive dumpster fire GOT vibes?

Mid to early GOT, moreso early GOT.

Less jumping around, looks like it might grow into first half of GoT with Jon and Dany cut out…just Stark/Lannister parts expanded out.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Early GOT vibes. Small councils, scheming, brutality, sex etc

ive got it better than the GoT premiere because there’s simply more action and a higher budget. already seeing dragon fire, a police like brutal round up, three small council meetings, scheming, an action packed tourney…etc. I’m not saying it will be better than S1 of GoT, because I don’t think it will, but E1 was a great start

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

Genuine question and Im not trying to come off as snarky but whats the problem people were having with the prophecy at the end of the 1st episode? Is it not registering with me because I havent read the books yet or what am I missing?

I liked the first episode kinda cool seeing all the ancestors of the houses, Makes me wanna know who they are especially the Targaryens, Like which people are Daenarys grandparents or great grandparents and so forth

57 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Genuine question and Im not trying to come off as snarky but whats the problem people were having with the prophecy at the end of the 1st episode? Is it not registering with me because I havent read the books yet or what am I missing?

I liked the first episode kinda cool seeing all the ancestors of the houses, Makes me wanna know who they are especially the Targaryens, Like which people are Daenarys grandparents or great grandparents and so forth

it’s not in Fire and Blood, but I assume Martin gave it the OK. It would make sense with Rhaegar seeing something in a book at the citadel that changed him from a book nerd to a warrior. I think the issue with it people have (from what I’ve seen in comment sections…) is that it makes S8 and Dany’s actions even more stupid. There wasn’t a Targ on the throw, for example. I dunno….I don’t really agree with them.

Daemon’s second son (I believe) ends up being Dany’s direct line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

It re-contextualizes what everyone knows about Aegon's Conquest because nothing like this has been mentioned, at least not yet. Makes it seem like a half-assed way to connect to the main series. It also hurts the ending of "GoT" even more if the entire Targaryen dynasty is secretly about stopping the white walkers, but a Targaryen wasn't on the Iron Throne when the white walkers were defeated and a Targaryen didn't even kill the Night King.

I did read an article that if this prophecy is brought up in one of the last 2 books (which seems very likely now...if they're ever published), then some stuff from the first 5 books can be read as breadcrumbs for it. That would make it better from a book reader perspective, but still makes little sense in regards to the 2 shows connecting. But that would be Benioff and Weiss' fault.

https://www.theringer.com/house-of-the-dragon/2022/8/23/23317270/house-of-the-dragon-episode-one-breakdown

The first portion of this article discusses the prophecy and how hints could be interpreted in the books so far.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

.if they're ever published)

Those books aren't ever coming out.  GRRM still talks about chapters and chapters that need to be completed still.  It's been over a decade, he's not finishing them.  Maybe his estate sells the rights and someone else finishes it.

• Like 1

Always felt the best part of Game of Thrones was the political in-fighting and backstabbing, and not the dragons/white walkers/fantasy aspects. That's part of the reason IMO seasons 1-3 were unmatched...it was more about the politics and strategies of Kings Landing and a war between 5 contenders to a throne, while latter seasons primarily focused on the white walkers and Danys dragons. I don't think it's a coincidence the original show dropped in quality when "there is no bad/good guy, everyone has their own political motivations" turned into "good guys vs bad guys".

Even though this is a show about the Targaryens, it seems like it will be focusing more on the former than the latter, and that has me very hopeful.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Those books aren't ever coming out.  GRRM still talks about chapters and chapters that need to be completed still.  It's been over a decade, he's not finishing them.  Maybe his estate sells the rights and someone else finishes it.

Martin has stated his opposition to someone else finishing it and said that he doesn't believe his wife would allow for it either, so I think if someone does do it, it'll be a long time coming from his estate.

It'll be so far divorced (timing wise) from Martin's last entry that I'm not even sure I'd read it

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Martin has stated his opposition to someone else finishing it and said that he doesn't believe his wife would allow for it either, so I think if someone does do it, it'll be a long time coming from his estate.

It'll be so far divorced (timing wise) from Martin's last entry that I'm not even sure I'd read it

Eh, the money is almost always chased once the author is gone.

16 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Always felt the best part of Game of Thrones was the political in-fighting and backstabbing, and not the dragons/white walkers/fantasy aspects. That's part of the reason IMO seasons 1-3 were unmatched...it was more about the politics and strategies of Kings Landing and a war between 5 contenders to a throne, while latter seasons primarily focused on the white walkers and Danys dragons. I don't think it's a coincidence the original show dropped in quality when "there is no bad/good guy, everyone has their own political motivations" turned into "good guys vs bad guys".

Even though this is a show about the Targaryens, it seems like it will be focusing more on the former than the latter, and that has me very hopeful.

100% agree 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I just grew tired of the politics, the backstabbing, and was disappointed by the ending after a great buildup. I was actively rooting for the “bad” guys to sack king’s landing as THE response to distracted fools playing politics, and ignoring real threats. Oh well. The great buildup to this, never really paid off imo. Like instead of going up against winterfell, I wanted the WW to feint that and blitz King’s landing. Seeing Cersei die twice would have been immensely better than what we got. Too cute of an ending for her. Smdh. 

And episode 1 of Got was a home run, and it did that with largely, little kids acting. 

This was more like a lead off double or something. Very good, but the original was about as perfect as possible. This had more exposition and told more than it showed. But it probably had too.

Edited by SMashMouthMike

On 8/24/2022 at 8:09 AM, mattyice0401 said:

You could argue that Rhaegar Targaryan is the protagonist of the main books and show, even though he was dead before the story started (EDIT: In my opinion he's not, Ned Stark is the protagonist and Tywin Lannister is the antagonist, but it's arguable). And as @seminoles1 said, George did a really good job through the 1st 5 books of giving breadcrumbs as to why. This video does a good job of breaking it down:

The problem is that instead of this prophecy of the Prince that was Promised being Rhaegar's secret, it's now a Targaryan family secret. Not only are there logistical questions, like why would Rhaegar keep it as quiet as he did, but it takes the defining secret of Game of Thrones outside of that story.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16