Texans release JJ Watt

.Buzz

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I just don't get this, why not trade him before the deadline last season? The Texans obviously weren't going to be in contention and are in rebuild mode. Now he leaves for nothing instead of a potential higher round draft pick.

Because Watt deserves better. Because he's more than a 34 DE to the city of Houston.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'll have more to say. I knew this was happening - but it's still a gut punch. I'm sort of processing it still.

More to come.

Don't let the Texans say this was about "class". They could have asked JJ where he wanted to go, traded him, had the new team restructure his deal so he got paid, and gotten late picks back in exchange for salary cap space that is highly desirable for other teams but totally useless for a rebuilding team. There was a legitimate "everyone wins" scenario for a rebuilding team.

This was about saving money, and they're lying for the PR.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I just don't get this, why not trade him before the deadline last season? The Texans obviously weren't going to be in contention and are in rebuild mode. Now he leaves for nothing instead of a potential higher round draft pick.

Have they done him a favor by not tying him up in trade talks etc like they have Watson? I dunno

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This was about saving money, and they're lying for the PR.

I totally agree - doesn't mean that I don't like how Watt gets to pick his spot without having to consider his much he's sold for.

My thoughts and emotion go well beyond football on this one. I'd say football is actually the last thing on my mind for this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

because they save money and don't want to look even worse than they already do and give him a chance to have a free pick of teams.

Edited by SBLIII

17 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If I had to guess, Wisconsin (Back home), Pittsburgh (With the bros), or Chicago (With the wife) make the most sense. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to pair with Grady Jarrett and Dante Fowler here in Atlanta.

Can Pittsburgh even really afford to take him rn?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

So he can play his brothers 2x a year? Yeah, that's not gonna fly.

This is how EDC is walking away from Watt's house...

vince mcmahon no GIF by WWE

"JJ, you can start on a high ranked defense"

Image result for vince mcmahon gif

"You get to make the playoffs and be on a legit contender"

"You get to play close to your other brothers"

"You don't have to play for Jack Easterby any longer"

"You get to pancake your brother Derek twice a year"

• Like 8

@ET80 I think we both agree on this, that at his peak he was the most dominant defensive player we've ever seen live, contributing to every single facet possible

So my question is, how far has he fallen off that? If his peak was 100, what number is he at now?

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1