Texans release JJ Watt

.Buzz

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And I'd imagine he'd take less than what Shaq Barrett would command on the open market.

Watt is that sort of guy Brady would like, and Brady's demand for excellence would resonate with Watt...

It's my outside candidate considering the big three (PIT, GB, CHI).

Shaq plays OLB on the rightside doesnt Watt play LDE in a 3-4 defense? I dont know if shaq staying or leaving would impact whether or not Watt would be a piece of it.

I know I am a homer but wouldnt be surprised if Bills made a pitch for him as the bills need a 4-3 LDE and he would upgrade their current pass rush, which isn't saying much and he fits the mold of McDermott. 

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

Shaq plays OLB on the rightside doesnt Watt play LDE in a 3-4 defense? I dont know if shaq staying or leaving would impact whether or not Watt would be a piece of it.

Oh, I thought he was an end in a 43 look. My bad.

Watt can play pretty much any spot along the DL still, but he's probably best suited on the right side - 5tech in a 34, UT or RDE in a 43, etc.

44 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I just don't get this, why not trade him before the deadline last season? The Texans obviously weren't going to be in contention and are in rebuild mode. Now he leaves for nothing instead of a potential higher round draft pick.

Nobody would take him at $18m? Dude is constantly injured and his production took a big hit. I know everybody wants to trash on the Texans but it was well known he was gonna get cut this off season so he asked to be released so now he can get himself on a better situation without of waiting Houston trying to milk anything for him until inevitably cutting JJ and leaving him in the market after the best spots were filled and without much leverage.

27 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

He still could have been traded to a team that has a chance to compete for something or even give him a say in the matter. I'd imagine that would be where most of his market would be anyway (teams in contention that are 1 piece away from being a Super Bowl contender) at this stage of his career. 

I know we had that of situation with Drew Brees where he meant so much in the city of New Orleans, but had we been a terrible team towards the end of his career, I'd have no issue giving him a chance elsewhere, but I'd at least like some compensation in return.

Well the texans are in rebuild whether they will have it with or with out watson. A soon to be 33 year old, injury riddled history and a 17.5 cap hit isn't really a trade piece for those he would be interested in going to. Not to mention the team is 18 mil over the cap. He has done so much for the organization letting him walk to pick up the team of his choice before free agency hits is ideal for him. Look at the teams with the most salary cap and look at the teams who were in the playoffs you try to find one team that lines up with where a team would be willing to pay his price tag, where they would give up picks for him, and where he would want to go. There is not one team that is an ideal spot with that situation. He is likely going to look for a team that is a true contender and has a need at the position in which they can pay him far less and he gets his shot at a ring. Tampa is probably the most talked about team however they want to roll with what they currently have and paying their players to re-sign will eat up all of their cap. I expect the top 4 destinations to be the 4 that were in the conference championships with an outside shot of him joining his brothers in Pitt. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, I thought he was an end in a 43 look. My bad.

Watt can play pretty much any spot along the DL still, but he's probably best suited on the right side - 5tech in a 34, UT or RDE in a 43, etc.

Not sure if him and Gaines have/had a relationship but I assume beane should and would be all over this to lure him to Buffalo. As messed up as the  texans organization is the fact they let him walk before free agency is very respectful. They could have done him dirty by holding on to him and try to trade him for a day 3 pick to a team that is no where near contention. 

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

Not sure if him and Gaines have/had a relationship but I assume beane should and would be all over this to lure him to Buffalo

I don't think Gaine was in the building long enough to forge a relationship with anyone...

• Like 1