Texans release JJ Watt

.Buzz

32 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

idk why people just pretend salary caps are not a thing?

Because they're not. Converting monies to signing bonuses to allow teams to prorate large amounts over the course of a contract is basically a norm for anyone on a non-rookie QB. Rodgers gets a little $15mm paycheck advance, team calls it a signing bonus, pushes that $15mm into a 3 year hit, so that nets you a savings of $10mm this season. 

(Don't get too fixated on the name Rodgers).

Sure, someone has to pay the bill at the end of the contract, but nobody worries about that in a win now scenario.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because they're not. Converting monies to signing bonuses to allow teams to prorate large amounts over the course of a contract is basically a norm for anyone on a non-rookie QB. Rodgers gets a little $15mm paycheck advance, team calls it a signing bonus, pushes that $15mm into a 3 year hit, so that nets you a savings of $10mm this season. 

(Don't get too fixated on the name Rodgers).

Sure, someone has to pay the bill at the end of the contract, but nobody worries about that in a win now scenario.

It depends where they are at with those contracts though. There is some flexibility with some teams but other teams who have been doing that to stay in win now mode for awhile have run out of time. They could do a little but it just pushes it a year further and in a year where there isn't going to be a cap increase some teams are going to have to make some tough choices.

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I get what you're saying - but do you think after the verbiage that Aaron Rodgers has been using that he is open to taking a pay cut? Davante maybe signs an extension, but there's no way his cap number comes down by more than a couple million. Z is heavy in bonus money.. again there is only so much cap reduction you can get by extending your most expensive players, and that all pays forward in future years

I'm literally looking at the cap numbers of each player and I just cannot see where the money comes from, short of Rodgers full on cutting his salary in half to field a better team

Zadarius with a restructure clears 5 mil, his guarantees and cap hit in 2022 are 15 mil off, if he is cut they are stuck with a 5 mil dead cap. If they restructure it then he would be a cap hit of 20 mil with a 10 mil dead cap by doing this for 2022, it will be no impact on the numbers unless they plan to cut him next year. Not to mention they can add a 1 year extension in which he may want to do as he will be 31 at that time. Rodgers wants to win and go all in and he also says he wants to be paid. He can easily get more money guaranteed on a signing bonus in which it can be disbursed over the remaining years of his contract without taking a cap hit. It kicks the can down the road on his cap hit but he clearly deserves a raise and him being upset may cause a hold out so by clearing up cap by giving him a signing bonus would work in that sense. As for adams he is a FA and arguably one of the top 5 in the league I do not see why you do not extend this guy a couple more years so that when Rodgers is at the end stage of his career to be released then adams will be on his way out at that time. Their window to win with rodgers is what 2-3 years? Adams is gone in 2022 you throw him a deal that lines up with Rodgers through 2024 and then you start over with Love and the young team. I just dont know if this organization wants to push to win now while costing them cap in the future, as some organization think differently and I do not know that much of GBs front office to say this is a team that would risk it or not. Watch what the saints do with their 90 mil over the cap they will some how clear it all and still pay winston money without losing a ton of players.

58 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

It won’t happen. Watt has a blue collar personality. Don’t see him being attracted to the glitz and glamour of LA

i can see him in GB or Pitt or Buffalo 

I don't see Pittsburgh with their DL.

I suppose Buffalo and Green Bay are good possibilities, but I just have a feeling.

Might be best to edit the title from Texans cut Watt to Watt and the Texans agree to mutually part ways or something like that as Watt requested and the Texans almost needed to make the space. It's far kinder to grant him freedom than ship him to a random team squeezing for any compensation. This isn't evil Texans thread or action.

Just now, Trojan said:

Might be best to edit the title from Texans cut Watt to Watt and the Texans agree to mutually part ways or something like that as Watt requested and the Texans almost needed to make the space. It's far kinder to grant him freedom than ship him to a random team squeezing for any compensation. This isn't evil Texans thread or action.

No... We need to villify the Texans as much as possible. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Class dude and nothing but respect for him. Would love to see him opposite 99 but not sure we can swing it.

Oh we can. Restructures and all that.

It's VERY attractive for the Rams because it won't affect the comp formula now either. So we can let Floyd and JJ go and get great comps for them while still adding an elite pass rusher. Would have to modify the defense, but if you can get someone of Watt's caliber, shoot first and ask questions later. I'd guess McVay has already called him.

Grab a center in free agency, draft defense and a WR for depth, and we're set.

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

One guy donates his salary to hurricane survivors and the other one is for nobody but himself.  

I’m sure that they would see eye to eye.  

Seriously man, what did Brady do to you?

On topic: FA is going to be interesting with how few teams have any kind of cap room. BB would probably love to have JJ, but - weird as it is to say it - NE is not the team for ring chasing right now. Tampa is an obvious choice if he's in it for the glory, especially if Suh does retire, but they have so many of their own FAs they need to sign JJ becomes a luxury. I highly doubt JJ would want to play against his brothers, and the Steelers can't afford him so that rules the AFCN out.

As much as every team in the league wants him, it's hard to see a place where he really fits. Maybe the Colts, but going to a division rival would be a kick to the nads of Houston fans.