Texans release JJ Watt

.Buzz

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

It won’t happen. Watt has a blue collar personality. Don’t see him being attracted to the glitz and glamour of LA

i can see him in GB or Pitt or Buffalo 

I agree on that from one perspective. While being a blue collar and teams like Buffalo embracing him while he would embrace them back, if he felt that Rams were close to winning it all if I think he signs with them to take a run for a ring it just depends on which team he feels confident in making the push.

• Like 1

idk why people just pretend salary caps are not a thing?

like, who are the Packers cutting to shed $40 million so that JJ can go there on a discount??

I'm not saying its impossible, but the gymnastics necessary to get him to Green Bay are pretty significant

Same with Pittsburgh

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

There is no way he goes to a reclamation project. He will find a win=now team with cap

Colts, Browns, Ravens massively jump out to me as likely landing spots.. Miami jumps to the very top of my list if they get Watson or Tampa (depending on their own FA decisions). Longshot New England if they land a QB. Longshot Seattle

I dont know if Miami is in need of him as their dline has been solid, the issue with them is the offense so you would have to assume their main focus is on that side of things this offseason. I wouldn't say its a NO to go there just would be surprised if they invested more money in to the defense after putting it all out there last offseason. 

Don't caps fool you teams that are contenders and are on the boarders of cap can be easily adjusted to make the move for him as some teams will push the issue of cap to the future or be willing to remove a bloated contract in efforts to upgrade their defense.

9 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

idk why people just pretend salary caps are not a thing?

like, who are the Packers cutting to shed $40 million so that JJ can go there on a discount??

I'm not saying its impossible, but the gymnastics necessary to get him to Green Bay are pretty significant

Same with Pittsburgh

Contract extensions while Gb is 20 mil over cap they will be 35 mil under cap in 2022 when the expected cap goes back to normal. Extending/restructure guys like Aaron Rodgers and Devante Adams both likely expecting new deals can manipulate them to get paid more while reducing their cap not to mention other key guys like Za'darius Smith. I doubt GB makes a move for him but its not out of the realm these teams can manipulate a year's deal in order to free cap space without losing a player. More guaranteed money smaller cap hit for this year. Just those 3 alone in restructures giving them guarantees will put them back under the cap and them some, if they chose that route. Adams is set to be a fa next year so his cap hit of 16 mil this year could drop to 2-3 mil if they wanted to extend him and put the cap in 2022 and 2023 etc.

Edited by soflbillsfan

Where ever he goes wish nothing but the best for him. Some team is going to win a locker room jackpot even if it's for a short period of time. His wife (and Zach Ertz's wife) star for the Chicago Red Stars and I wonder if they would prefer to be a short distance to Chicago. GB Chicago Detroit and Indianapolis are what like ~3 or 4 hours from Chicago?

13 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Contract extensions while Gb is 20 mil over cap they will be 35 mil under cap in 2022 when the expected cap goes back to normal. Extending/restructure guys like Aaron Rodgers and Devante Adams both likely expecting new deals can manipulate them to get paid more while reducing their cap not to mention other key guys like Za'darius Smith. I doubt GB makes a move for him but its not out of the realm these teams can manipulate a year's deal in order to free cap space without losing a player. More guaranteed money smaller cap hit for this year. Just those 3 alone in restructures giving them guarantees will put them back under the cap and them some, if they chose that route. Adams is set to be a fa next year so his cap hit of 16 mil this year could drop to 2-3 mil if they wanted to extend him and put the cap in 2022 and 2023 etc.

I get what you're saying - but do you think after the verbiage that Aaron Rodgers has been using that he is open to taking a pay cut? Davante maybe signs an extension, but there's no way his cap number comes down by more than a couple million. Z is heavy in bonus money.. again there is only so much cap reduction you can get by extending your most expensive players, and that all pays forward in future years

I'm literally looking at the cap numbers of each player and I just cannot see where the money comes from, short of Rodgers full on cutting his salary in half to field a better team

24 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Where ever he goes wish nothing but the best for him. Some team is going to win a locker room jackpot even if it's for a short period of time. His wife (and Zach Ertz's wife) star for the Chicago Red Stars and I wonder if they would prefer to be a short distance to Chicago. GB Chicago Detroit and Indianapolis are what like ~3 or 4 hours from Chicago?

Watt is the kind of dude where I could see him make a decision weighing heavily on his wife's preference.

If the Giants are going to get a deal done with Leonard Williams, they need to do it soon before Watt signs for big money and drives up Big Cat's asking price.

• Like 1