NBA 2020-21 Season - Game Day Thread (Bring Back The Wolf Pit!)

the lone star

12 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I wouldn't mind a Lakers Suns series. Things were starting to get chippy in that game. Think it would be pretty entertaining. Get to see Paul and Bron go head to head in the playoffs for the first time.

With Utah's luck the Lakers will fall to 8th place and then LeBron/AD will come back and you'll sweep us in the 1st round, lol. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is simply a money move to get rid of him and not having to pay him to a big deal in the offseason. They are going the cheap route, disappointing to see. 

Well, I mean, locking themselves into a 3rd big money contract for .500 results isn't exactly smart either.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is simply a money move to get rid of him and not having to pay him to a big deal in the offseason. They are going the cheap route, disappointing to see. 

I don't think this is true at all. I don't even think the Pelicans are actively shopping him. I think this is just teams reaching out. I'll be shocked if he's moved at the deadline, especially with the rumored returns which are all absolute trash lol.

Only reason they'd move him is if he's seeking a max deal...Which he might be lol

30 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Well, I mean, locking themselves into a 3rd big money contract for .500 results isn't exactly smart either.

Who is to say they will be .500 next season? And you are getting worse getting rid of him for crap. The smart move is to pay him and then if you need to move him later on, then you can do that. But this is just a flat out cheap move. No need to trade him unless you are trying to get better....Which isn't the case. 

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don't think this is true at all. I don't even think the Pelicans are actively shopping him. I think this is just teams reaching out. I'll be shocked if he's moved at the deadline, especially with the rumored returns which are all absolute trash lol.

Only reason they'd move him is if he's seeking a max deal...Which he might be lol

I mean of course if they aren't trying to move him then that is different. 

He's going to get a big deal since another team will give him one as he is a RFA, but I don't know if it will be for the max. Either way, not like this will be the full max that players get after 6 or 7 years in service. The Pelicans don't need to break up their core. Lonzo has made improvements and Zion benefits playing with him. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean of course if they aren't trying to move him then that is different. 

He's going to get a big deal since another team will give him one as he is a RFA, but I don't know if it will be for the max. Either way, not like this will be the full max that players get after 6 or 7 years in service. The Pelicans don't need to break up their core. Lonzo has made improvements and Zion benefits playing with him. 

Yeah, I think small market teams get handicapped when they overpay to keep guys who aren't stars. Lonzo is good but is he a #3 on a contender? Idk and it becomes harder to win if you're paying a good but not great player 20M per.

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who is to say they will be .500 next season? And you are getting worse getting rid of him for crap. The smart move is to pay him and then if you need to move him later on, then you can do that. But this is just a flat out cheap move. No need to trade him unless you are trying to get better....Which isn't the case. 

Even with him playing great over the last month, New Orleans is still playing .500 basketball. Of course you can say they're all young and the future will show progress, but giving him a huge deal to hope that happens is how you end up with an Andrew Wiggins. There are tangible results that show these 3 as your highest paid players will not result in a great team. Zion is a scoring monster and will continue to improve and Ingram is an All-Star, so keeping and building around them is smart. But giving Lonzo a big deal just because he's played pretty solid for 6 weeks, with no affect in the win column, is a mistake.

If they can get him for a reasonable and tradable deal, then fine. Something like 4 years, $60 million is the most I'd go. But if he is asking for and the team thinks he can get $20+ million a year, then I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Edited by seminoles1

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Even with him playing great over the last month, New Orleans is still playing .500 basketball. Of course you can say they're all young and the future will show progress, but giving him a huge deal to hope that happens is how you end up with an Andrew Wiggins. There are tangible results that show these 3 as your highest paid players will not result in a great team. Zion is a scoring monster and will continue to improve and Ingram is an All-Star, so keeping and building around them is smart. But giving Lonzo a big deal just because he's played pretty solid for 6 weeks, with no affect in the win column, is a mistake.

If they can get him for a reasonable and tradable deal, then fine. Something like 4 years, $60 million is the most I'd go. But if he is asking for and the team thinks he can get $20+ million a year, then I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Lonzo is always going to have value around the league for what he does. Letting him go for essentially nothing is not the move, especially with how much Zion benefits playing with him. Paying him around 20M a year is not a huge issue. Again, he's a movable contract down the line. You get rid of Zo but give Adams that extension? Huh? 

50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lonzo is always going to have value around the league for what he does. Letting him go for essentially nothing is not the move, especially with how much Zion benefits playing with him. Paying him around 20M a year is not a huge issue. Again, he's a movable contract down the line. You get rid of Zo but give Adams that extension? Huh? 

$20 million isn't super movable.

I mean...I wouldn't have given Adams that extension either. I understood it for about 4 hours, but wouldn't have done it.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

$20 million isn't super movable.

I mean...I wouldn't have given Adams that extension either. I understood it for about 4 hours, but wouldn't have done it.

20M for Zo is absolutely movable. I don't know why you would think that isn't a contract that can't be moved. He's going to have value with his defense and especially if he continues to shoot well from down town. 

But I mean if you are going to lose him for minimal return, then what does that tell Zion? 

10 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He's not making that. Gordon is making $34.5 million over this season and next.

So a factor of $2.75 Million AAV. 18 this year, 16.5 next. It's still a comparable contract and the point remains the same. If Aaron Gordon can get moved making $18 Million, Lonzo at $20 is movable. 

I thought the idea of an unmovable contract died? Chris Paul, John Wall and Russell Westbrook all got dealt with their $40 Million hits.

Edited by beekay414

27 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So a factor of $2.75 Million AAV. 18 this year, 16.5 next. It's still a comparable contract and the point remains the same. If Aaron Gordon can get moved making $18 Million, Lonzo at $20 is movable. 

I thought the idea of an unmovable contract died? Chris Paul, John Wall and Russell Westbrook all got dealt with their $40 Million hits.

I never said it would be unmovable, but I just don't think it's be an easy trade in a couple years at $20+ million if he's still not affecting the win column like he hasn't for 4 years now.

But your point is taken. Gordon is still relatively sought after, and Ball is a similar caliber player.