What are you thinking about?

pwny

15 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Concussion fears seem to be hampering HS football in my district.

10 years ago every team had 40-60 players it seemed. Got the local paper insert for all the district teams. 3 of the 8 dont have 25 players. 1 has 50, (highest population), 2nd highest populated school has 30. Less than our local school with the 2nd lowest student pop. Even though the local is still producing more players and 3rd largest district squad. Its all parents talk about when HS football is mentioned.

Anyone else seeing the likes where you live?

Yeah, for sure.  The town I grew up in had around 15ish schools in the district that carried Freshmen, JV and Varsity when I was in school.  Now nobody carries a freshmen team, and around half of them end up having to cancel their JV seasons around halfway through the year to fill in their varsity numbers after injuries and kids quit.  At the same time, the states (WV and Md) are expanding the number of classifications they have for state champions.  It was already trending that way, but CoVid seems to have really accelerated it.  There also seems to be a lot more player movement between the schools.  It will be interesting to see where high school football is at in 20 years.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Yeah, for sure.  The town I grew up in had around 15ish schools in the district that carried Freshmen, JV and Varsity when I was in school.  Now nobody carries a freshmen team, and around half of them end up having to cancel their JV seasons around halfway through the year to fill in their varsity numbers after injuries and kids quit.  At the same time, the states (WV and Md) are expanding the number of classifications they have for state champions.  It was already trending that way, but CoVid seems to have really accelerated it.  There also seems to be a lot more player movement between the schools.  It will be interesting to see where high school football is at in 20 years.  

My high school only had like 16 kids on my football team, but our two rivals each had 40. They’ve fused their programs the last few years because none have had enough to field their own team. Named their team after a small highway that connects the 3 towns. Super dorky 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, candyman93 said:

Learned about the “halo” on F1 cars and how they used to be laughed at for how ugly / goofy they looked.

Yet they save drivers lives in situations like this.

https://imgur.io/a/dyaZxBB

Meanwhile NASCAR like...

https://twitter.com/AllThatNASCAR/status/1695624357471547821?s=20

On 8/21/2023 at 11:17 PM, smetana34 said:

Who's got suggestions for a good wing sauce brand? Preferably looking for something exclusive where my restaurant is the only one within a given radius that can carry their product

I like Frank and his sauce.  It's not "Exclusive" but it's kinda definitive.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:46 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

10 years ago every team had 40-60 players it seemed. Got the local paper insert for all the district teams. 3 of the 8 dont have 25 players. 1 has 50, (highest population), 2nd highest populated school has 30. Less than our local school with the 2nd lowest student pop. Even though the local is still producing more players and 3rd largest district squad. Its all parents talk about when HS football is mentioned.

Interesting to see this in action.  Playing hockey and football...i probably had five concussions before i was 18.  Two of them were completely unrelated tbh.

But i also wouldn't undo them for the the games i got to play anyway.  What that meant for me in building friendships, camaraderie, etc.

I know some of my friends are deliberately holding their kids out of hockey.  Purely because eventually they're going to get their brain banged around.  It seems insane to me because these are people i played hockey/football with and honestly, lower level hockey/football is such a soft thing.

idk.  Maybe it'll change when i have a kid of my own.  But it seems ridiculous.

Edited by Tugboat

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But i also wouldn't undo them for the the games i got to play anyway.  What that meant for me in building friendships, camaraderie, etc.

I know some of my friends are deliberately holding their kids out of hockey.  Purely because eventually they're going to get their brain banged around.  It seems insane to me because these are people i played hockey/football with and honestly, lower level hockey/football is such a soft thing.

My kids won't play hockey or football because of these reasons.  But I don't feel about them missing anything.  They both love basketball, soccer and baseball, and can get the same experiences and learn the same life lessons from those sports.  

On 8/23/2023 at 10:46 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Yeah, there's a lot of schools around my area going to 8 man football.  Mostly the smaller ones for now, but there's enough that there's now a formal playoff for it in Ohio.

6 hours ago, Sad People said:

Do you know how common this is?

Research is scant but increasing as time goes by  ....

https://www.the-rheumatologist.org/article/months-after-covid-19-infection-rheumatic-like-symptoms-persist/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/arthritis-after-covid

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9162104/

Risk of autoimmune diseases following COVID-19 and the potential protective effect from vaccination: a population-based cohort study

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(23)00331-0/fulltext

gr2.jpg