Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

The Bears are not going to re-sign Arob for anything less than 20M.  The tag on him is 18M. Players hate the tag and Arob has been very vocal about this. In fact, he's trying to avoid it.

He's looking for a long term deal. Which is most likely his last big contract.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Lower base salary for 2021 with a big signing bonus spread across 5 years cap-wise ($25M signing bonus + $5M base salary for 2021 on a 5-year deal gives him $30M this year in his pocket for a $10M 2021 cap hit). Base salaries for years 1-3 largely if not wholly guaranteed. Rest of the cap space for the QB comes from contract mods for probably Mack, Fuller, Hicks, Whitehair and/or Jackson (assuming they aren’t part of the trade for the QB). 

I like it. Get it done Pace!

How sweet would it be to hear that Bears are signing Robinson long term and then trading for Russ in the span of a week once FA officially starts?

I think this would go a long way to help reversing the feelings of hatred towards Pace from the majority of Bears fans right now

I mean I'd just love to see Windy's reaction to all that going down 😂

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The Bears are not going to re-sign Arob for anything less than 20M.  The tag on him is 18M. Players hate the tag and Arob has been very vocal about this. In fact, he's trying to avoid it.

He's looking for a long term deal. Which is most likely his last big contract.

He'll play under tag if Bears want to go that route.

He may hate it, but he'll do it. 

If I was him I would want the tag.  Deals done after new media contracts are in place will be far more lucrative than any deals done in 2021 under a lowered cap.  For this year the tag is a good thing IMO.   1 year fully guaranteed at near top of market wage then UFA.   He can go anywhere he wants - money or contender.  No non-QB gets tagged twice.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If I was him I would want the tag.  Deals done after new media contracts are in place will be far more lucrative than any deals done in 2021 under a lowered cap.  For this year the tag is a good thing IMO.   1 year fully guaranteed at near top of market wage then UFA.   He can go anywhere he wants - money or contender.  No non-QB gets tagged twice.

Or they can just use the tag to buy some time and wait for the new tv deals to become official and then once there is more clarity on what future cap situation may look like they can better negotiate a long term deal for both parties ?

After all Robinson doesn't have to sign the tag right away and they have until July to negotiate a long term solution 

I think that approach makes the most sense from a team perspective. This will also allow the team to buy some more time to try and figure out their QB situation in order to try and convince Robinson to sign here long term at a reasonable rate

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

How sweet would it be to hear that Bears are signing Robinson long term and then trading for Russ in the span of a week once FA officially starts?

I think this would go a long way to help reversing the feelings of hatred towards Pace from the majority of Bears fans right now

We’d need @CBears019 or @Sugashane to go to the moderator janitor closet for a mop and a whole lot of bleach. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He just watched Cooper get 20 APY.  There's no way he's not asking for that price.  He may have agreed to less before the season but the Bears FO did him wrong and now they're going to pay for it.

Holding a player against his will sends a bad message to the locker room and to other possible free agents. And not just any player but the best offensive player.

If they tag him, and he gets hurt in 2021, then his value drops by alot.  This is part of the reason players hate the FA tag. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

15 hours ago, topwop1 said:

2 years from now (when we still hadn't won a SB due to lack of assets), he and others would be bitching the FO for signing him and not having enough draft picks to address other key areas like they did with the Mack trade.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He just watched Cooper get 20 APY.  There's no way he's not asking for that price.  He may have agreed to less before the season but the Bears FO did him wrong and now they're going to pay for it.

Holding a player against his will sends a bad message to the locker room and to other possible free agents. And not just any player but the best offensive player.

If they tag him, and he gets hurt in 2021, then his value drops by alot.  This is part of the reason players hate the FA tag. 

Of course they hate it.  They want to be UFA all the time with guaranteed contracts in between.  They hate draft too to be honest or they should.  

It is an artificial restriction on earning potential.  It is a regulation.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

Of course they hate it.  They want to be UFA all the time with guaranteed contracts in between.  They hate draft too to be honest or they should.  

It is an artificial restriction on earning potential.  It is a regulation.  

But it is the system they are in.  All I am saying is if you are going to be tagged, good year for it. Contracts next year will be far more lucrative unless something unforeseen happens. 

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Ya boy works for a sanitation company... we got bleach,  acids,  caustics and best of all... I can make other people clean it. 

I have a crap ton of junior Marines that there sole purpose is to clean stuff, when they get done sweeping the flight line I'll send them over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Ya boy works for a sanitation company... we got bleach,  acids,  caustics and best of all... I can make other people clean it. 

I don't know why the weird synergy didn't occur to me before. You're in charge of keeping things organized and cleaned up in your spare time, too...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know why the weird synergy didn't occur to me before. You're in charge of keeping things organized and cleaned up in your spare time, too...

That job pays more but is often far less interesting. Lol

3 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

I have a crap ton of junior Marines that there sole purpose is to clean stuff, when they get done sweeping the flight line I'll send them over.

I'm trying to get a work-release program started but that would be WAY better. Lol. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, topwop1 said:

I don’t hate Pace, but he deserved to be fired for state of team.

His major mistakes are QB, O line and TE and WR.  Geez that is a lot now that I think about it.  

He also has failed to learn that Nagy is not good at player development (took me a few years to figure that out as well - but I don’t get to watch practices and meetings - just games).

Why is that important?  You can’t draft raw players.  You have to draft finished products or lean more on FAs that know how to play.  MT and Miller and Shaheen and Floyd are all raw developmental prospects with upside athletic potential - he doesn’t have a good developmental coach - at least not as a HC.  He is probably good when he is just a QB coach or OC under an offensive coach.    

Nagy will probably never get another HC gig if he blows this one, but if he can keep this one he needs to learn to practice in a way that teaches and develops players fundamentally and skill wise and in real time, not just learning plays on grass and talking about it in film.

• Like 1