2021 Franchise Tag Decisions

Broncofan

16 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

this is definitely a head scratch move. He was average at best I think PFF even rated him 60th in tackles that played last year. to get tagged 14 mil he should be excited for that pay day as they are overpaying for his services if they dont get a long term deal done. Should have traded for Orlando brown with their 2nd 1st rd pick or their 1st 2nd rd pick and pay him would have been an upgrade to what they got in Cam.

Cam and Brown had essentially the same pressure % rate last season and that was with Cam having 200 more pass blocks than Brown. Brown benefited from the Ravens offensive scheme. Cam had Minshew/Glennon/Luton holding onto the ball for an eternity. I'm sure the addition of Lawrence will help in that aspect. Cam is also a mauler in the run game. 

If we weren't going to pay up for Trent Williams, this was the next best option. I'm sure they didn't want a rookie protecting Lawrence's blindside. 

It's not like they gave him 70M GTD anyway lol just a 1 year deal. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

But did they really need to franchise him? Was a 1 or 2 year deal at a better price not possible? Or is that still the goal?

It sounds like a longer deal is on the table potentially. At least that's what Urban said today.

I really don't thinking paying a starting LT who's "fine" and still has upside $13.6M is bad. Wouldn't have shocked me if a team like Indy overpaid had he hit the market. I don't see anyone else I'd rather have on the market besides Trent or trading for Brown (who you'd have to give up high end draft capital and pay big money for).

19 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

But did they really need to franchise him? Was a 1 or 2 year deal at a better price not possible? Or is that still the goal?

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

It sounds like a longer deal is on the table potentially. At least that's what Urban said today.

I really don't thinking paying a starting LT who's "fine" and still has upside $13.6M is bad. Wouldn't have shocked me if a team like Indy overpaid had he hit the market. I don't see anyone else I'd rather have on the market besides Trent or trading for Brown (who you'd have to give up high end draft capital and pay big money for).

The other part - Robinson was year 2 from ACL surgery.   He should have been back to full explosion.    Whether or not he was as good as Trent Brown - he didn't have a huge leap from his 2019 performance (where you'd expect without full explosion, he might have improved from 2019 to 2020).   

So while it's expensive for 1 year - it might actually be in the Jags' best interest to only commit to 1 year.   If he's not better, then the Jags move on.  If he is worth extending, they can afford it.   This might be a case where the 2-3M more this year than a 3-4 year with way more guaranteed money, would be the way to go.   

Final point - letting Robinson go, and then trying to re-sign him at a cheaper rate isn't as easy an option when you're Jacksonville.   Bad orgs who are trying to turn things around usually have to pay a little more to entice players to come.   Point being - paying a little more to keep Robinson than his 2020 level of play might have earned, is what happens when you're not a desirable landing spot.  I say that as Denver likely has had that status for at least a couple of years now.   Obviously Trevor Lawrence could change that mindset - but until then, that's the price of being bad - it costs more to recruit/retain.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Don't love this for the Bucs. Understand wanting to keep the team together, but Evans/Brown/Miller/Johnson/Gronk/Howard/Brate is a very deep receiving corps. Barrett is the better player, at a more valuable position and with less depth on the roster.

Just now, Broncofan said:

The other part - Robinson was year 2 from ACL surgery.   He should have been back to full explosion.    Whether or not he was as good as Trent Brown - he didn't have a huge leap from his 2019 performance (where you'd expect without full explosion, he might have improved from 2019 to 2020).   

So while it's expensive for 1 year - it might actually be in the Jags' best interest to only commit to 1 year.   If he's not better, then the Jags move on.  If he is worth extending, they can afford it.   This might be a case where the 2-3M more this year than a 3-4 year with way more guaranteed money, would be the way to go.   

Final point - letting Robinson go, and then trying to re-sign him isn't as easy an option when you're Jacksonville.   Bad orgs who are trying to turn things around usually have to pay a little more to entice players to come.   Point being - paying a little more to keep Robinson than his 2020 level of play might have earned, is what happens when you're not a desirable landing spot.  I say that as Denver likely has had that status for at least a couple of years now.   Obviously Trevor Lawrence could change that mindset - but until then, that's the price of being bad - it costs more to recruit/retain.

Good points.

As I said, I had zero interest starting a rookie LT with a rookie QB either. This also allows us to take a young OT early, develop them, and if Cam takes the next step/is what we're comfortable with great, if not you have a replacement in 2022.

7 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Don't love this for the Bucs. Understand wanting to keep the team together, but Evans/Brown/Miller/Johnson/Gronk/Howard/Brate is a very deep receiving corps. Barrett is the better player, at a more valuable position and with less depth on the roster.

You're assuming that Tampa isn't getting Barrett back.    FWIW, Barrett's also benefitting a ton from being with JPP & Vea (Vea being the key element), and a wrinkle DC Bowles added in late in the season - LB White A-gap delayed blitzing.    Barrett's getting single coverage a lot.       FWIW, I think AB is as good as gone - he's likely going to chase the $, given his career was on life support before 2021 - get the $ while you can.    I like Miller & Johnson, but Godwin just brings elite WR play that those 2 can't....yet.  

I think it's a smart move to keep Barrett if they can - but honestly, I think Godwin & David are actually the keys to the team more than Barrett.    I also think it's still very likely that all 3 guys are retained by Tampa - and Godwin was the guy who said he was going to chase the $.    Guess we'll see soon enough.

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Good points.

As I said, I had zero interest starting a rookie LT with a rookie QB either. This also allows us to take a young OT early, develop them, and if Cam takes the next step/is what we're comfortable with great, if not you have a replacement in 2022.

Honestly, if the Jags were smart, they'd hit T with 2.1 - you can never have enough OL help with a franchise QB, and cheap franchise-QB protection help.   That way, they can move on if they have in-house options to replace an expensive Robinson in 2022...and if Robinson is horrible in 2022, they have in-house immediate options.   They don't need a RB, and their WR corps is young enough (plus get 1 FA in a deep FA class), they should be OK there.

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, Broncofan said:

Honestly, if the Jags were smart, they'd hit T with 2.1 - you can never have enough OL help with a franchise QB, and cheap franchise help.   That way, they can move on if they have in-house options to replace an expensive Robinson in 2022...and if Robinson is horrible in 2022, they have in-house immediate options.   They don't need a RB, and their WR corps is young enough (plus get 1 FA in a deep FA class), they should be OK there.

Definitely a possibility imo. We need depth out there and both OTs need to take steps next year. Doubt they leave that position barren beside the starters.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You're assuming that Tampa isn't getting Barrett back.    FWIW, Barrett's also benefitting a ton from being with JPP & Vea (Vea being the key element), and a wrinkle DC Bowles added in late in the season - LB White A-gap delayed blitzing.    Barrett's getting single coverage a lot.  

I think it's a smart move to keep Barrett if they can - but honestly, I think Godwin & David are actually the keys to the team more than Barrett.    I also think it's still very likely that all 3 guys are retained by Tampa - and Godwin was the guy who said he was going to chase the $.    Guess we'll see soon enough.

Don't think we'll be able to keep all 3. I think you're likely to see Barrett signed to a long-term deal, as FO has been discussing it with him since they tagged him last year. With Brady's contract being extended to relieve the cap hit, I think it'll happen soon with Barrett.

Don't see us paying LD the years/money he's going to want being 32 years old. There was a report not to long ago saying he wanted to 'reset the market' for off-ball LB's. We're not going there with him.