Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Omicron could become dominant in some European countries by next week, officials predict.

“We expect it to overtake delta within days, not weeks,” Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, said Friday about the spread of omicron there. That echoes the latest update from the U.K. Health Security Agency, which has high confidence that omicron has a growth advantage over delta and estimates that, spreading at its current rate, it will become dominant throughout Britain by mid-December, with more than a million infections by the end of the month.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TVScout said:

Omicron could become dominant in some European countries by next week, officials predict.

“We expect it to overtake delta within days, not weeks,” Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, said Friday about the spread of omicron there. That echoes the latest update from the U.K. Health Security Agency, which has high confidence that omicron has a growth advantage over delta and estimates that, spreading at its current rate, it will become dominant throughout Britain by mid-December, with more than a million infections by the end of the month.

Bring it on

On 12/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, KManX89 said:

What anecdotal evidence? The mountains of hospitalizations and the f'ing MAKER of the drug saying it's not for treating Covid (!) and there's no data to support this clearly show otherwise.

Oh, and speaking of unvaccinated:

Good. About time somebody said "you refuse to get the jab, you reap what you sow" instead of wasting resources. And (perhaps) more importantly, people with chronic conditions unrelated to Covid can actually get a bed.

I hope it passes.

I think it's insane and I've gotten the jab.

lets not treat fat people for their fat related health issues either. Stop giving lung transplants to smokers plz. No more liver treatments for alcoholics that aren't making an effort in recovery. 

if we do these things above then I'm ok with it. 

9 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I think it's insane and I've gotten the jab.

lets not treat fat people for their fat related health issues either. Stop giving lung transplants to smokers plz. No more liver treatments for alcoholics that aren't making an effort in recovery. 

if we do these things above then I'm ok with it. 

Except obesity and cigarettes aren't contagious. 

And this is pretty standard practice for insurance companies already. People have had broken hips insurers decided not to cover. Actions have consequences.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

except that's not what the bill does lol

also, they dont give lung transplants to smokers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

except that's not what the bill does lol

also, they dont give lung transplants to smokers

For some reason I also feel I like we’ve had discussions about why comparing obesity to Covid is a bad idea before….

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

Except obesity and cigarettes aren't contagious. 

And this is pretty standard practice for insurance companies already. People have had broken hips insurers decided not to cover. Actions have consequences.

Not always. There are always ways of getting around it. 

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

For some reason I also feel I like we’ve had discussions about why comparing obesity to Covid is a bad idea before….

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

Curious as to how many people in the US that have died were obese or have type 2 diabetes. Biggest contributing factor that not even the jabs are saving a few from. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

13 hours ago, TVScout said:

Israeli study finds 2 Pfizer shots fail to neutralize Omicron, but booster effective

This data is ‘very worrisome,’ says study head, but those who received a third dose of the vaccine have cause for ‘optimism’

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-study-finds-2-pfizer-shots-fail-to-neutralize-omicron-but-booster-effective/

I'd fall out of my chair if two doses doesn't at least provide protection against severe COVID. Effectiveness against symptomatic COVID may by reduced dramatically, though. Our memory cells should hold the fort down, but they take some time to recognize the threat and eliminate.

@ramssuperbowl99 @Shanedorf Would you also be surprised if two doses of Pfizer didn't protect against severe outcomes? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

I'd fall out of my chair if two doses doesn't at least provide protection against severe COVID. Effectiveness against symptomatic COVID may by reduced dramatically, though. Our memory cells should hold the fort down, but they take some time to recognize the threat and eliminate.

@ramssuperbowl99 @Shanedorf Would you also be surprised if two doses of Pfizer didn't protect against severe outcomes? 

From the first sentence of the article:

A healthcare worker prepares a vaccine in Safed, northern Israel, November 29, 2021. (David Cohen/Flash90)

People who were vaccinated with Pfizer shots six months ago or more have “almost no neutralizing ability” against the Omicron variant, while those who received boosters are in reasonably good shape, an Israeli study has found.

This is more bad journalism about the timing of the antibody response, not the quality of it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is more bad journalism about the timing of the antibody response, not the quality of it. 

I can't imagine what its like for lamen journalists to relay this information. Doubt most of them fully understand what they are writing and I doubt publications have hired someone to review these under a scientific lenses either. 

• Like 1

Possible impact of spike protein mutations on SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant.

At the end of November 2021, the latest new variant, called the Omicron, was reported by South Africa as a result of genome sequencing surveillance. With over 30 new mutations and markedly higher transmissibility, scientists are wondering if this could drive devastating new surges of reinfection, overcoming the immunity elicited by earlier infections or by current vaccines.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20211207/Possible-impact-of-spike-protein-mutations-on-SARS-CoV-2-Omicron-variant.aspx