Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Not a surprise but we are undercounting Covid deaths. There’s a new tool to get a more accurate count.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6435124001

Public health experts say the true death toll of the pandemic in the U.S. is upward of 20% higher than the official tally. That’s based on research showing that deaths attributed to COVID-19 do not account for all of the increased deaths in 2020 and 2021 when compared to prior years. Researchers call the number of deaths above a typical year “excess deaths.”

On Monday, the CDC released new data and a public tool that will bring researchers closer to understanding that.

The data could answer questions about what types of non-COVID-19 deaths increased during the pandemic and which COVID-19 deaths have been misclassified as something else, such as death from heart disease, stroke, or a respiratory illness, said Andrew Stokes, an assistant professor of demography and sociology at Boston University’s Department of Global Health.

Edited by Xenos

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

No harm in getting the booster even if you had the infection recently. Additional protection is always nice especially for a variant that could better evade antibodies.

no harm but it is entirely unnecessary

Rather wait and have full protection from the booster right before I got on my work trip to Orlando. 

Also, means I can wait longer before the next one potentially  

• Like 1

In Japan, researchers have developed masks that use ostrich antibodies to detect covid-19, by glowing under ultraviolet light. The work by the team from Kyoto Prefectural University could provide low-cost testing for the virus at home, scientists said.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TVScout said:

In Japan, researchers have developed masks that use ostrich antibodies to detect covid-19, by glowing under ultraviolet light. The work by the team from Kyoto Prefectural University could provide low-cost testing for the virus at home, scientists said.

I'm always reminded just how big the world is, how many people there are, and how many ideas come to fruition when I read sentences like this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TVScout said:

Japan out there living in the year 4000...

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just got my booster---can anybody that got theirs tell me if they had any side effects?

The first shot for me was easy but the 2nd shot made me a Trainwreck 24 hrs. after.

Wondering if the booster since it's only a half dose will have no illness after

The booster ran me over for 36 hours after I got it. Chills, shakes, major fatigue 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just got my booster---can anybody that got theirs tell me if they had any side effects?

The first shot for me was easy but the 2nd shot made me a Trainwreck 24 hrs. after.

Wondering if the booster since it's only a half dose will have no illness after

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

The booster ran me over for 36 hours after I got it. Chills, shakes, major fatigue 

You kinda want the immune system to kick in a mount a response to the shot.  That is what it is supposed to do.   

The symptoms will vary, so apply basic principles 

-- hydration

-- rest/sleep

-- nutrition

-- avoid high demand/ long duration  physical exercise ( light to moderate is ok)

-- avoid alcohol 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 9:39 PM, KManX89 said:

What anecdotal evidence? The mountains of hospitalizations and the f'ing MAKER of the drug saying it's not for treating Covid (!) and there's no data to support this clearly show otherwise.

Oh, and speaking of unvaccinated:

Good. About time somebody said "you refuse to get the jab, you reap what you sow" instead of wasting resources. And (perhaps) more importantly, people with chronic conditions unrelated to Covid can actually get a bed.

I hope it passes.

What does this actually accomplish though tbh 

Vast majority of people probably couldn't pay large COVID-related medical bills without insurance coverage

So are the hospitals (that will still undoubtedly treat these people) going to get stiffed and the insurance companies get a pass?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/south-african-doctors-signs-omicron-milder-delta-81689492

3 weeks in, 15k cases per day and deaths are 1/10th what they were at a similar point in the Delta surge this summer or previous surges, and falling

Some combination of existing immunity and inherent properties of this variant are resulting in a much less serious outbreak, even in a country with very low vaccination levels

I was skeptical at first but this is starting to feel like a positive development 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

You kinda want the immune system to kick in a mount a response to the shot.  That is what it is supposed to do.   

The symptoms will vary, so apply basic principles 

-- hydration

-- rest/sleep

-- nutrition

-- avoid high demand/ long duration  physical exercise ( light to moderate is ok)

-- avoid alcohol 

I did all of those, minus had a 1/2 serving of bourbon to try to get to sleep. It didn’t work. It’s interesting because my first two shots all but completely unphased me.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Oh good, that is what happened to me after my 2nd dose. Full body chills and all. Hopefully that doesnt happen again and I can dodge it. I have football to be depressed about tomorrow lol

• Like 2