Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest, if I'm able to create the proper spacing and symptom free, I'm not wearing a mask. If I'm unable to create space, I will wear a mask. If I'm outside, I'm absolutely not wearing a mask under any circumstances after doing it for over a year last year.

Some will disagree and that's fine.

I mean, I’m pretty much in the same boat.

if I’m running into a gas station or something real quickly and it’s not crowded or whatever, I’m not putting on a mask. I’ll keep my distance and be quick about it.  If a herd of people follow me in by some miracle, it’s in my back pocket.

Outdoors I’d have to be in a big arse crowd, which anyone who knows me well will attest I will not be in now or before covid as I detest crowds to put one on.

Like, it’s not all that hard I’d you use some common sense and are willing to be considerate of others.

• Like 2

To be clear, I’m not saying vaccinated and unvaccinated people are equally at fault, they’re not.  But vaccinated people are contributing to the problem if they are the ones who essentially think “I’m vaxxed and healthy, idgaf any longer” and refuse to take any other mitigating steps.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’m pretty much in the same boat.

if I’m running into a gas station or something real quickly and it’s not crowded or whatever, I’m not putting on a mask. I’ll keep my distance and be quick about it.  If a herd of people follow me in by some miracle, it’s in my back pocket.

I'm a mask in pocket or single ear dangle guy myself.

Outdoors I’d have to be in a big arse crowd, which anyone who knows me well will attest I will not be in now or before covid as I detest crowds to put one on.

Hard pass. The "We are not going to Disney" conversation was a band aide with my wife that went from a rant (shocking I know) about not giving my money to some multi-billion dollar corporation, how it's fake fun and not reality, how there are so many crowds, how they gouge with fast passes to make your trip worthwhile, how it's uber stupid expensive, and then about how we'd have to wait with kids who "have to go potty" every 15 minutes. Hard pass.

Like, it’s not all that hard I’d you use some common sense and are willing to be considerate of others.

Even then, we're talking about the 16 pieces of flair minimum consideration of others. 

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Hard pass. The "We are not going to Disney" conversation was a band aide with my wife that went from a rant (shocking I know) about not giving my money to some multi-billion dollar corporation, how it's fake fun and not reality, how there are so many crowds, how they gouge with fast passes to make you trip worthwhile, how it's uber stupid expensive, and then about how we'd have to wait with kids who "have to go potty" every 15 minutes. Hard pass.

If things don’t work out with our wives, we should give it a go lol.

Ive had this exact conversation.

”who tf wants to stand in line behind some clown who doesn’t know how to use deodorant for 1k a day when we can visit as many national parks as we want for $80 a year!?!?”

1 hour ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Yeah, if all that’s the ONLY solution, then we were doomed from the get go.

What I wanna know is where are all the n95 masks are at, and why would the world participate in any Olympics in China of all places? That’s bizarre to me. 

With regards to the N95, late and slow but it’s rolling out the end of this week.  Here’s some more info.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/1074037421/the-biden-administration-will-give-out-400-million-free-n95-masks

I can’t answer your other question about the Olympics.

Did you also get the information about rapid tests?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest, if I'm able to create the proper spacing and symptom free, I'm not wearing a mask. If I'm unable to create space, I will wear a mask. If I'm outside, I'm absolutely not wearing a mask under any circumstances after doing it for over a year last year.

Some will disagree and that's fine.

I only wear a mask outside if there’s a lot of people. Double masks always go on when going indoors.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If things don’t work out with our wives, we should give it a go lol.

I'm neat, organized, hard working, and can actually do DIY things that you can't. We both eat healthy, workout, and are likely above average parents. Both of us can cook too from what it sounds like.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ive had this exact conversation.

”who tf wants to stand in line behind some clown who doesn’t know how to use deodorant for 1k a day when we can visit as many national parks as we want for $80 a year!?!?”

EXACTLY

I said the same. National Parks, the Beach, the Mountains, I don't really care, let's do something REAL vs. dropping $5-$10K to watch my kids play tea with pretend Cinderella and stand in line 90% of the time.

• Like 1

Man, this wave surged for like two weeks in my area. Now it's on a pretty rapid decline. Surprised it plateaued so quickly. Thought for sure it'd be a 3-4 week surge in cases.

Hospitalizations increased rapidly, but ICU cases didn't follow a linear path; they increased at a much slower rate. With cases now declining for 10 days- I would think we'll start to see hospitalizations peak and decline very soon. ICU admissions will follow a week or so after that. 

Finally, according to our Medical Director- we're seeing way less infections and isolations among staff this week. We have become more strict on visitor guidelines. I'm assuming that's due to the ED being swamped. 

Regardless, things seem to be heading in the right direction. Fingers crossed we're in a much better place in Feb. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To be clear, I’m not saying vaccinated and unvaccinated people are equally at fault, they’re not.  But vaccinated people are contributing to the problem if they are the ones who essentially think “I’m vaxxed and healthy, idgaf any longer” and refuse to take any other mitigating steps.

True. But as a vaccinated, healthy dude who ran out of emotional energy, my response is pretty much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Man, this wave surged for like two weeks in my area. Now it's on a pretty rapid decline. Surprised it plateaued so quickly. Thought for sure it'd be a 3-4 week surge in cases.

Hospitalizations increased rapidly, but ICU cases didn't follow a linear path; they increased at a much slower rate. With cases now declining for 10 days- I would think we'll start to see hospitalizations peak and decline very soon. ICU admissions will follow a week or so after that. 

Finally, according to our Medical Director- we're seeing way less infections and isolations among staff this week. We have become more strict on visitor guidelines. I'm assuming that's due to the ED being swamped. 

Regardless, things seem to be heading in the right direction. Fingers crossed we're in a much better place in Feb. 

Hopefully the rest of the country plateaus as quickly.

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

True. But as a vaccinated, healthy dude who ran out of emotional energy, my response is pretty much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get it, my patience at zero at this point. My decision to wear masks in crowded spaces has very little to do with me but rather the elderly or compromised folks I may run into and setting a good example for my kids.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's sad. I had a coworker ask me the other day why I wasn't ranting. They've broken me...everyone that is.

New treatment guidelines from the National Institutes of Health discourage the use of two of the three monoclonal antibody treatments authorized for early-stage covid-19 because the therapies probably will not work against the omicron variant.

The updated guidelines, posted Wednesday, reflect new estimates by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that the variant is dominant in all regions of the United States and is responsible for 99.5 percent of cases.

The NIH treatment guidance panel said the therapies by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and Eli Lilly “are predicted to have markedly reduced activities” against the omicron variant and that “real-time testing to identify rare, non-omicron variants is not routinely available.”

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

With regards to the N95, late and slow but it’s rolling out the end of this week.  Here’s some more info.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/1074037421/the-biden-administration-will-give-out-400-million-free-n95-masks

I can’t answer your other question about the Olympics.

Did you also get the information about rapid tests?

Yeah, if you mean the fed. Govt giving 4 per address if u sign up. Thx, that’s good to hear. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TVScout said:

New treatment guidelines from the National Institutes of Health discourage the use of two of the three monoclonal antibody treatments authorized for early-stage covid-19 because the therapies probably will not work against the omicron variant.

The updated guidelines, posted Wednesday, reflect new estimates by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that the variant is dominant in all regions of the United States and is responsible for 99.5 percent of cases.

The NIH treatment guidance panel said the therapies by Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and Eli Lilly “are predicted to have markedly reduced activities” against the omicron variant and that “real-time testing to identify rare, non-omicron variants is not routinely available.”

Well that sucks. Even though it wasn’t meant to replace vaccination, losing 2 out of the 3 previously viable treatment does hurt.