Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

4 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Yeah, if you mean the fed. Govt giving 4 per address if u sign up. Thx. 

Yeah that one. I also know that private insurers are supposed to be reimbursing you now for tests you buy yourselves. Obviously lots of fine print so check with your insurance beforehand.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2022/01/10/1071899471/insurance-at-home-covid-tests-white-house

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Yeah that one. I also know that private insurers are supposed to be reimbursing you now for tests you buy yourselves. Obviously lots of fine print so check with your insurance beforehand.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2022/01/10/1071899471/insurance-at-home-covid-tests-white-house

I can probably get tested at work. We got mandated to get vaccinated or test twice/week. 99.5% of us are vaccinated, so we have tests lying around for the time being. But the ominicron has infected a few medic and engine/truck crews. Nothing serious yet, but guys thinking they have sinus infections, show up to work and pop positive, twice. 

Thank goodness they got these vaccines out in about a year or so. Hope they can do it again if another variant gets bad. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

I can probably get tested at work. We got mandated to get vaccinated or test twice/week. 99.5% of us are vaccinated, so we have tests lying around for the time being. But the ominicron has infected a few medic and engine/truck crews. Nothing serious yet, but guys thinking they have sinus infections, show up to work and pop positive, twice. 

Thank goodness they got these vaccines out in about a year or so. Hope they can do it again if another variant gets bad. 

I know Pfizer is working on a omicron specific vaccine just in case. Supposed ready in March.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/01/10/covid-vaccine-pfizer-ceo-says-omicron-vaccine-will-be-ready-in-march.html

• Like 2

More than 100 new COVID-19 vaccines are in clinical development, including shots that work differently than the three currently approved vaccines. Some are protein subunit vaccines, which use small fragments of the COVID-19 molecule to train the immune system, and others use inactivated (dead) virus that can't cause infection. Additionally, at least one nasal spray vaccine is being studied in clinical trials.

A National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded study is testing the benefits of several existing medications to treat mild or moderate COVID-19 at home, including the antidepressant fluvoxamine, which was shown in an unrelated recent trial to reduce the need for hospitalization among high risk patients with an early COVID-19 diagnosis.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/advances-in-covid-19-treatment.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TVScout said:

More than 100 new COVID-19 vaccines are in clinical development, including shots that work differently than the three currently approved vaccines. Some are protein subunit vaccines, which use small fragments of the COVID-19 molecule to train the immune system, and others use inactivated (dead) virus that can't cause infection. Additionally, at least one nasal spray vaccine is being studied in clinical trials.

A National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded study is testing the benefits of several existing medications to treat mild or moderate COVID-19 at home, including the antidepressant fluvoxamine, which was shown in an unrelated recent trial to reduce the need for hospitalization among high risk patients with an early COVID-19 diagnosis.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/advances-in-covid-19-treatment.html

get the nasal spray to market, it might be idiot proof. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

This pandemic is making people lose their minds. Just the other day a older man came up to me saying I wasn’t wearing the right type of mask in the grocery store. I ignored him and he actually brought a worker and she give him the wtf face lol.

I mean, that’s clearly absurd behavior but I’m guessing this whole thing maybe hits a little different when you’re the one who’s at higher risk.

Not defending it, but I can see how it happens.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

They keep making "better" idiots so not sure about that one.

The nasal route makes a ton of sense and I wish them well in their efforts. Cincinnati Children's Hospital has a fantastic reputation and they do a lot of groundbreaking work there - especially in pediatrics as you'd imagine.
But there are actually (2) adult oncology drugs on the market that came out of that research group and were spun off into separate biotech companies. Full speed ahead

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

They keep making "better" idiots so not sure about that one.

lol reminded me of this 

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The nasal route makes a ton of sense and I wish them well in their efforts. Cincinnati Children's Hospital has a fantastic reputation and they do a lot of groundbreaking work there - especially in pediatrics as you'd imagine.
But there are actually (2) adult oncology drugs on the market that came out of that research group and were spun off into separate biotech companies. Full speed ahead

Yeah I used to work next door to Children’s (UC) and it’s an amazing facility with a metic ish ton of cash for research.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Hard pass. The "We are not going to Disney" conversation was a band aide with my wife that went from a rant (shocking I know) about not giving my money to some multi-billion dollar corporation, how it's fake fun and not reality, how there are so many crowds, how they gouge with fast passes to make your trip worthwhile, how it's uber stupid expensive, and then about how we'd have to wait with kids who "have to go potty" every 15 minutes. Hard pass.

Would have given you a standing ovation if this was said in public. 100% correct. 

• Like 1

National Geographic will make THE FIRST WAVE available for free on the ABC and National Geographic apps for 48 hours starting at 12:01 a.m. EST on January 20. The film, directed by award-winning director Matthew Heineman, shines a light on what healthcare workers have braved in hospitals flooded with COVID patients. Not only is it a crucial watch as we enter our second year of this crisis-- it’s also an incredibly cathartic and uplifting story about the resilience of the human spirit. Please watch and share with your friends, family, and everyone you know!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/pages/topic/the-first-wave-documentary

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Hard pass. The "We are not going to Disney" conversation was a band aide with my wife that went from a rant (shocking I know) about not giving my money to some multi-billion dollar corporation, how it's fake fun and not reality, how there are so many crowds, how they gouge with fast passes to make your trip worthwhile, how it's uber stupid expensive, and then about how we'd have to wait with kids who "have to go potty" every 15 minutes. Hard pass.

Even the fast passes are barely worth it anymore because so many get them.  Plus now you have to schedule appointments for rides. Good luck doing half of what you want to do. I talked to someone who went within the past year or so, he said they did two rides over the entire day because lines are so long and reservations filed up quick. 

5 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Nasal spray ones were popular when I was in the Air Force. It seemed like the only people that chose those ones though were just the ones afraid of needles 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

30 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Nasal spray ones were popular when I was in the Air Force. It seemed like the only people that chose those ones though were just the ones afraid of needles 

The spray doesn't make your arm sore for the rest of the day. Pretty sure the military stopped offering the spray a few years ago though. I think they said it was less effective or something.