Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Just received word that I'm a close contact with someone that I worked next to for 8 hours on Friday. They're pretty sick and their whole family has it now. Really hoping I didn't get it but I am a bit achy today. Although that isn't necessarily uncommon since I was on my feet for all 8 hours plus 7 more on Saturday.

Can you get a test any time soon?

19 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm going to try and go tomorrow; testing is M-F nearby. I feel mostly fine but I have a fever of 101.2 now and I'm still achy. I don't feel like I have a fever though.

Dang. Good luck and hope it’s just something else by chance.

• Like 1

Lab study shows omicron-blocking antibodies persist four months after a Pfizer-BioNTech booster

A major question about boosters has been how quickly protection will fade

The study, which was published on a preprint server Saturday, gives a first hint about the durability of vaccine protection, with a key line of immune defense remaining intact. The study has not yet been peer-reviewed and will need to be replicated and extended to a longer period. The laboratory study suggests another shot may not be needed right away — a question that has caused anxiety for people wondering if and when they will need to get another booster. A study from the United Kingdom found that while protection against symptomatic infections is lower than for delta, even after a third dose, protection against hospitalization remains high. That study found that protection against hospitalization dropped from 92 percent in the month after the third dose to 83 percent for people at 10 or more weeks after that shot.

15 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Lab study shows omicron-blocking antibodies persist four months after a Pfizer-BioNTech booster

A major question about boosters has been how quickly protection will fade

The study, which was published on a preprint server Saturday, gives a first hint about the durability of vaccine protection, with a key line of immune defense remaining intact. The study has not yet been peer-reviewed and will need to be replicated and extended to a longer period. The laboratory study suggests another shot may not be needed right away — a question that has caused anxiety for people wondering if and when they will need to get another booster. A study from the United Kingdom found that while protection against symptomatic infections is lower than for delta, even after a third dose, protection against hospitalization remains high. That study found that protection against hospitalization dropped from 92 percent in the month after the third dose to 83 percent for people at 10 or more weeks after that shot.

Pfizer is all I could find in ME, thank god

• Like 2

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-limits-use-certain-monoclonal-antibodies-treat-covid-19-due-omicron

In light of the most recent information and data available, today, the FDA revised the authorizations for two monoclonal antibody treatments – bamlanivimab and etesevimab (administered together) and REGEN-COV (casirivimab and imdevimab) – to limit their use to only when the patient is likely to have been infected with or exposed to a variant that is susceptible to these treatments. 

Because data show these treatments are highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant, which is circulating at a very high frequency throughout the United States, these treatments are not authorized for use in any U.S. states, territories, and jurisdictions at this time. In the future, if patients in certain geographic regions are likely to be infected or exposed to a variant that is susceptible to these treatments, then use of these treatments may be authorized in these regions. 

Good news that we won't have to waste tax dollars on treatment for anti-vaxers. Bad news is that these don't work against Omicron, so immunocompromised people have one less option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-limits-use-certain-monoclonal-antibodies-treat-covid-19-due-omicron

Good news that we won't have to waste tax dollars on treatment for anti-vaxers. Bad news is that these don't work against Omicron, so immunocompromised people have one less option.

I hate good news bad news. Why can’t it just be good news? 😆

"............. omicron could be the "most transmissible the virus can get."

The reason: Due to "evolutionary constraints" on how many mutations and changes the virus can make, omicron could be "the ultimate version of this virus," Dr. William Moss, executive director of the International Vaccine Access Center at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Omicron might be the worst Covid gets when it comes to transmissibility, experts predict (msn.com)

How to Avoid Buying a Fake COVID Test

How to Make Sure Your COVID Test Isn't Fake (msn.com)

Immunoglobulin signature predicts risk of post-acute COVID-19 syndrome

This New Tool Uses Your Blood to Calculate Long COVID Risk (msn.com)

AAT8by6.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Pfizer's pills becoming widely available can't come soon enough. 

• Like 1

The first paragraph is both sad and not surprising. Why do you think Europe has a lower Omicron mortality rate than the US? 🤔

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/omicron-deaths-in-us-exceed-deltas-peak/ar-AATa5G7?li=BBnb7Kz

Omicron Deaths in U.S. Exceed Delta's Peak

More signs emerged that the Omicron wave is taking a less serious human toll in Europe than earlier phases of the pandemic as U.S. data showed daily average deaths from the disease exceeding the peak reached during the surge driven by the previously dominant Delta variant.

Edited by Xenos

4 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Just goes to show how damn contagious it is. So much more than the other strains that even though its significantly less deadly than other variants on a case by case basis enough people are getting it that its still killing more people. 

• Like 1