Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I've decided to go all of February without having any alcohol. I'm trying to detox my body a bit to see if that helps. I've had some pretty major issues waking up between 2-3 AM and not falling back to sleep lately. I can't turn off my mind.

Have you tried any other Herbal remedies? Maybe one that Snoop Dog, or Cheech would recommend?

Page 464... 🤔

Interesting read but events starting to happen in Cali looks like capitulation coming before mid March. Expect Newsom to release emergency powers because people aren't following as much. I expect another wave mid June as I think shots are 3-4 month from the real world evidence I'm seeing. 3 years and we treat it like a super flu. 

13 hours ago, BakeSpeaks said:
19 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I've decided to go all of February without having any alcohol. I'm trying to detox my body a bit to see if that helps. I've had some pretty major issues waking up between 2-3 AM and not falling back to sleep lately. I can't turn off my mind.

Have you tried any other Herbal remedies? Maybe one that Snoop Dog, or Cheech would recommend?

That is a terrible idea. Pot helps a lot of different things, but if you're using it as a sleep remedy you're likely to run into a habit forming issue. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5656354/

The recent legalization of cannabis for medical and recreational use in many states in the United States and internationally4,5 has resulted in a decrease in stigma and of perceived risk of cannabis use, more frequent use of cannabis, use of higher potency cannabis products, and increased dependence on cannabis use.68 Cannabis sativa and its derivatives are often used for improved sleep and relaxation; characteristics originally attributed to Indian hemp in the nineteenth century.13 Cannabis alters the sleep–wake cycle, increases the production of melatonin, and can inhibit the arousal system by activating cannabinoid type 1 (CB1) receptors in the basal forebrain and other wake-promoting centers.912 Investigations have shown that the major psychoactive compound in cannabis, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), can decrease sleep onset latency in naïve users or at low doses in experienced users (eg, 70 mg/day); however, higher doses in experienced users increased sleep latency and wake after sleep onset.9,13,14 Indeed, frequent cannabis users (≥5 uses/week for 3 months and lifetime use ≥2 years) are reported to have shorter total sleep duration, less slow wave sleep, worse sleep efficiency, and longer sleep onset compared to controls.15 The contrasting benefits of THC exposure may represent the biphasic influence of THC on CB1 receptors whereby acute use causes more activation of CB1 receptors and tendency toward sleep, but long-term use results in desensitization of the CB1 receptor and decreased downstream signaling.

Basically, pot helps you fall asleep deeper and quicker when you first start using it, but your body adjusts and it becomes harder to fall asleep without it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That is a terrible idea. Pot helps a lot of different things, but if you're using it as a sleep remedy you're likely to run into a habit forming issue. 

Basically, pot helps you fall asleep deeper and quicker when you first start using it, but your body adjusts and it becomes harder to fall asleep without it.

Yeah, I'm actually on Day 3 and have slept like a baby since making my decision. A few things have happened:

1. I've cut alcohol completely. I've never been drunk or a heavy drinker at all. I'm known as the "one drink guy" at work. I enjoy the wind down, the taste of bourbon, and it makes me feel sophisticated.

2. My 3 year old is on 3-4 consecutive nights of sleeping through the night

3. I've upped my workouts a bit

So, until I am shown that these things aren't working, I'll probably stick with them for the foreseeable future. I'm not going to "never have a drink of alcohol again", but I will probably start having one with dinner or perhaps one on Saturday afternoons from here on out...something like 2-3 a week instead of almost every night in my routine.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

One of those studies has people taking 5 MG of THC, and being tested 10 HOURS later.

Another one has heavy MJ users in one group and non users in another....and then tests the MJ users two days cold turkey.

Thats not to say that there isn't value in the rest of them, but it isn't an accurate assessment of real life applications.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I'm actually on Day 3 and have slept like a baby since making my decision. A few things have happened:

1. I've cut alcohol completely. I've never been drunk or a heavy drinker at all. I'm known as the "one drink guy" at work. I enjoy the wind down, the taste of bourbon, and it makes me feel sophisticated.

2. My 3 year old is on 3-4 consecutive nights of sleeping through the night

3. I've upped my workouts a bit

So, until I am shown that these things aren't working, I'll probably stick with them for the foreseeable future. I'm not going to "never have a drink of alcohol again", but I will probably start having one with dinner or perhaps one on Saturday afternoons from here on out...something like 2-3 a week instead of almost every night in my routine.

Had you said at the beginning that you have a 3 year old who isnt sleeping, I could have told you that was the culprit

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BakeSpeaks said:

One of those studies has people taking 5 MG of THC, and being tested 10 HOURS later.

Please provide further rationalization as to why you feel this is inappropriate. The Tmax of pot ingested orally varies, but without food may be as high as 2 hours. Even distribution half lives of marijuana range in the multiple hour mark, with terminal half lives lasting days.

Based on you capitalizing hours, I'm assuming you think that's too long. It's not. If anything, 10 hours on the short end.

4 minutes ago, BakeSpeaks said:

Another one has heavy MJ users in one group and non users in another....and then tests the MJ users two days cold turkey.

Which allows for the assessment of reversibility of the decreased CBD1 receptor following repeated marijuana use that will lead to decreased ability to fall asleep. My guess is the 48 hour timepoint came from this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4742341/

Compared to HCs, [11C]OMAR VT was 15% lower in CDs (effect size Cohen’s d=−1.11) at baseline in almost all brain regions. However, these group differences in CB1R availability were no longer evident after just 2 days of monitored abstinence from cannabis. There was a robust negative correlation between CB1R availability and withdrawal symptoms after 2 days of abstinence. Finally, there were no significant group differences in CB1R availability in CDs after 28 days of abstinence.

Pretty standard design tbh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Please provide further rationalization as to why you feel this is inappropriate. The Tmax of pot ingested orally varies, but without food may be as high as 2 hours. Even distribution half lives of marijuana range in the multiple hour mark, with terminal half lives lasting days.

Based on you capitalizing hours, I'm assuming you think that's too long. It's not. If anything, 10 hours on the short end.

Which allows for the assessment of reversibility of the decreased CBD1 receptor following repeated marijuana use that will lead to decreased ability to fall asleep. My guess is the 48 hour timepoint came from this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4742341/

Pretty standard design tbh.

I like to believe what he meant by real life applications was that these studies didn’t control for these people lying awake endlessly misapplying philosophy to Benthamian scenarios in their head.

Now that seems more realistic.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BakeSpeaks said:

Had you said at the beginning that you have a 3 year old who isnt sleeping, I could have told you that was the culprit

He did, two posts later...

23 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I think it's a culmination of things:

1. My 3 year old for the last month aside from the last week has woken me up those times each night. She gets scared and disoriented.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SwAg said:

I like to believe what he meant by real life applications was that these studies didn’t control for these people lying awake endlessly misapplying philosophy to Benthamian scenarios in their head.

...or binging It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

• Like 1