Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Just goes to show how damn contagious it is. So much more than the other strains that even though its significantly less deadly than other variants on a case by case basis enough people are getting it that its still killing more people. 

It also shows that once again the vaccines work. Europe has a much higher vaccination rate than the US, and therefore has a lower Omicron mortality rate.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

Not free:

Opinion: PCR covid tests are not very useful. Focus on rapid antigen tests instead.

Everything about testing for covid-19 appears overly complicated. It is no wonder Americans are confused — and getting angry. So here’s a way to simplify our testing game plan: Let’s sideline polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests in favor of rapid antigen tests. 

............most PCR tests have a long lag between sample collection and test result. 

First, if you have covid-19 symptoms such as fatigue, fever, cough, or loss of smell and taste, an antigen test can quickly confirm the diagnosis.

Second, antigen tests can help inform someone with covid-19 whether they should end isolation.

Third, antigen tests can help assure people that it is safe to visit someone who is at high risk

Finally, antigen tests can be used for screening in schools.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/01/26/use-rapid-antigen-tests-instead-of-pcr/

• CDC graphs show in detail the protection vaccines gave from hospitalization.
  • As Omicron spread in the US, hospitalization rates in December were much lower for the vaccinated.
  • Data among adults over 50 showed that a booster shot gave even stronger protection.

AATeL2u.img?w=768&h=384&m=6

AATeL2A.img?w=768&h=384&m=6

CDC charts show how much 2 and 3 doses of COVID vaccine protect from hospitalization (msn.com)

• Like 1

Coronavirus transmission may have seasonal spikes tied to temperature and humidity, increasing at different times of the year for different locations, a new study suggests.

Colder regions, such as the U.S. Northeast, may experience more cases during winter, while warmer regions, such as the southern United States, may see higher transmissions in the summer. More-temperate zones could experience two seasonal peaks.

Finally got my test results and it came back positive. Can't say I'm surprised but was hoping it was something else.

My symptoms have been a little different each day. The variety includes: fever (102.x), aches, night sweats, headache, cough, sore throat, and coughing up mucus (a really fun way to wake up in the middle of the night). I've been lucky so far *knock on wood* and haven't lost taste or smell.

Tylenol has helped a lot with the fever and aches. I've been drinking a lot of water, 1-2 Gatorades a day, and an occasional shot of pickle juice.

31 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Finally got my test results and it came back positive. Can't say I'm surprised but was hoping it was something else.

My symptoms have been a little different each day. The variety includes: fever (102.x), aches, night sweats, headache, cough, sore throat, and coughing up mucus (a really fun way to wake up in the middle of the night). I've been lucky so far *knock on wood* and haven't lost taste or smell.

Tylenol has helped a lot with the fever and aches. I've been drinking a lot of water, 1-2 Gatorades a day, and an occasional shot of pickle juice.

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it clears up soon. I feel like you’re doing everything else right to ease the symptoms though I’m no medical expert. Do you have a humidifier or vapor shower tablets? That should help to clear up the coughing/mucus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it clears up soon. I feel like you’re doing everything else right to ease the symptoms though I’m no medical expert. Do you have a humidifier or vapor shower tablets? That should help to clear up the coughing/mucus.

I have a humidifier going

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I have a humidifier going

Humidifier is good, I'd recommend putting in your bathroom and turning your shower and faucets on its hottest settings to turn your bathroom into a defacto steam room - it loosens up everything, which will help with the coughing fits at night.

I'd also recommend a good amount of vitamins - C, D and Zinc. My personal recommendation would be to get gummies over anything else (partly because orange gummies taste good).

• Like 3

What causes long Covid? Scientists are zeroing in on the answer.

What causes long Covid? Scientists are zeroing in on the answer. (msn.com)

Free updates:

At least
211.7 million
people have been fully vaccinated in the U.S.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

How fast the omicron variant
is spreading around the world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/tracker-omicron-spread/