Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

39 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

why is it so important to you that ivermectin be a thing? By the way, that article doesn't say what you think it does. 

Oh I'm aware it's not approved in the US or Japan. It's just a research article like I already said it was. 

why is it so important to you for it not it to become legitimate? 

if for some reason they have some study that shows effectiveness with no bad or adverse side effects, that's interesting to me.

I like reading into any of these research projects having to do with how they're going to treat the sick. You get so bent out of shape over literally nothing.

I've been also trying to look into the studies on this pill Phizer was going on about. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

18 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

if for some reason they have some study that shows effectiveness with no bad or adverse side effects, that's interesting to me.

Do you have a PhD in immunology or virology, with experience in infectious disease research? Have you published peer-reviewed research in anything remotely related to viral infection? 

Do you at least have a meaningful degree in physiology or biochemistry and can intelligently interpret primary research?

If not, who do you think you are?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Do you have a PhD in immunology or virology, with experience in infectious disease research? Have you published peer-reviewed research in anything remotely related to viral infection? 

Do you at least have a meaningful degree in physiology or biochemistry and can intelligently interpret primary research?

If not, who do you think you are?

So now I have to have those credentials to read/post an article about research that is going on? 

do you realize how asinine you sound?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

So now I have to have those credentials to read/post an article about research that is going on? 

do you realize how asinine you sound?

Yes, if you don't have those credentials, you should not be questioning the consensus of the world's leading experts. 

The fact that you would even question that shows how little you understand the scientific process. 

Feel free to bring that level of "research" to whatever flat earth message boards are out there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Yes, if you don't have those credentials, you should not be questioning the consensus of the world's leading experts. 

The fact that you would even question that shows how little you understand the scientific process. 

Feel free to bring that level of "research" to whatever flat earth message boards are out there.

Yeah us Professional Engineers know nothing about research. But I'm sure if I ever do need to visit those message boards, you'd be probably a moderator for that alex jones goofball or a flat earth board.  You seem to know a lot about that stuff apparently. Have fun with it.

7 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Oh I'm aware it's not approved in the US or Japan. It's just a research article like I already said it was. 

why is it so important to you for it not it to become legitimate? 

I like reading into any of these research projects having to do with how they're going to treat the sick. You get so bent out of shape over literally nothing.

I've been also trying to look into the studies on this pill Phizer was going on about. 

A) not what I meant by that doesn't mean what you think 

2) bent out of shape? I asked you a question lol

C) I already know you don't read 

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks it's a news-worthy article that Ivermectin "shows anti-COVID activity" doesn't understand drug development. 

That was never a question. Whether the concentration required to reach that activity was achievable in humans was the question. And it's not. 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13102818.2020.1775118

The academic, virological and pharmacological impact of the newly discovered antiviral effects of ivermectin against SARS-CoV-2 is beyond any doubt. Nevertheless the notion for possible clinical translation and repurposing, which has generated enormous media coverage, needs to be carefully addressed with reference to the pharmacokinetics of ivermectin. In this paper we sought to analyze the dosing regimens of the drug, the available maximal plasma concentration levels to allow detailed juxtaposition with the SARS-CoV-2 inhibitory effects and to question the paradigm for the plausibility of ivermectin repurposing in COVID-19.

Translation: We need to see if the test tube conditions match with the conditions in a human patient.

The analyzed data show that, at least at the clinically relevant dose ranges of ivermectin, the published in vitro inhibitory concentrations and especially the 5 µmol/L level causing almost total disappearance of viral RNA are virtually not achievable with the heretofore known dosing regimens in humans. The 5 µmol/L concentration is over 50 times higher than the levels attainable after 700 μg/kg [25] and 17 times higher vs. the largest Cmax found in the literature survey (247.8 ng/ml) [12]. Moreover the authors` claim for achieving viral inhibition with a single dose is inappropriate because practically the infected cells have been continuously exposed at concentrations that are virtually unattainable even with excessive dosing of the drug. In other words, the experimental design is based on clinically irrelevant drug levels with inhibitory concentrations whose targeting in a clinical trial seems doubtful at best.

Translation: Nope. Concentrations are 50-fold too low. Adults should be able to look at this and move on to the next candidate instead of wasting valuable time, money, and horse medication.

But with how stupid the average Joe Rogan listener is, they'll probably be guzzling the stuff for years.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Anyone who thinks it's a news-worthy article that Ivermectin "shows anti-COVID activity" doesn't understand drug development. 

This might be the understatement of the thread, and that's saying a lot

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Yeah us Professional Engineers know nothing about research.

THIS sort of research, though?

There is tangible knowledge that's required to even begin understanding what is where.

@ramssuperbowl99 is in this industry and breaks it down to simple terms, same as @Shanedorf. I'll choose to trust their opinion on this over yours, as much as I would choose to listen to your opinion over theirs in relation to Engineering-related topics (not sure what sort of engineer you are, so I'll leave it open ended in that respect).

It's one thing to question, but it's another thing entirely to dismiss tangible experience and knowledge.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

THIS sort of research, though?

I wouldn't expect anyone with a background in pharma to even post an article like that, much less consider it valuable. There's so much basic information missing/wrong (like...you know...the concentration where they saw efficacy), and it doesn't even look like it's novel research.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I wouldn't expect anyone with a background in pharma to even post an article like that, much less consider it valuable. There's so much basic information missing/wrong (like...you know...the concentration where they saw efficacy), and it doesn't even look like it's novel research.

63j8ee.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That was never a question. Whether the concentration required to reach that activity was achievable in humans was the question. And it's not. 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13102818.2020.1775118

Translation: We need to see if the test tube conditions match with the conditions in a human patient.

Translation: Nope. Concentrations are 50-fold too low. Adults should be able to look at this and move on to the next candidate instead of wasting valuable time, money, and horse medication.

But with how stupid the average Joe Rogan listener is, they'll probably be guzzling the stuff for years.

This is exactly what I meant by "this doesnt say what you think it does" if I had the energy to put effort in, except like, way better than I could have said it lol

• Like 1

That all reminds me of that sick joke.......

"The surgery was successful but the patient died."

Free:

Opinion: Your questions about covid-19, answered by Dr. Leana Wen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/leana-wen-covid-questions/

LONDON, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Suspected reinfections account for around 10% of England's COVID-19 cases so far this year..............Prior to Dec. 6, the proportion of daily cases in England thought to be reinfections had been below 2% for nearly six months. Reinfection remained at very low levels until the start of the Omicron wave.

UPDATE 1-A tenth of England's 2022 COVID cases suspected reinfections, data suggests (msn.com)

Edited by TVScout