Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

32 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

The spray doesn't make your arm sore for the rest of the day. Pretty sure the military stopped offering the spray a few years ago though. I think they said it was less effective or something.

I know when they made us get the flu shot and 1 other thing I can't remember. Think it was smallpox or something, the nasal ones gave them a bigger "vax hangover" than people that got the shot.

19 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I know when they made us get the flu shot and 1 other thing I can't remember. Think it was smallpox or something, the nasal ones gave them a bigger "vax hangover" than people that got the shot.

Interesting. I got the flu nasal spray one year and didn't have any issues at all. Guess I got lucky. Never heard of a smallpox nasal spray but I also haven't ever had a reason to inquire.

3 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Interesting. I got the flu nasal spray one year and didn't have any issues at all. Guess I got lucky. Never heard of a smallpox nasal spray but I also haven't ever had a reason to inquire.

Smallpox I don't think had a nasal. Just the flu. But I could be wrong as well. Nobody has more jabs than someone fresh into a deployment lol

Unvaccinated adults age 65 or older who contracted the coronavirus were 49 times more likely to require hospitalization than seniors who had received booster vaccine doses, according to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Unimmunized adults in that age group were also 17 times more likely to be admitted to a hospital than those who had received either two shots of an mRNA vaccine or one Johnson & Johnson dose. Meanwhile, unvaccinated people between 50 and 64 years old were 44 times more likely to need hospitalization compared with their boosted counterparts.

.............men infected with the coronavirus showed signs of a short-term decline in fertility, according to the research, which was led by an epidemiologist at Boston University and published in the peer-reviewed American Journal of Epidemiology. It was funded by the National Institutes of Health.

U.S. wastewater samples suggest the omicron variant of the coronavirus was probably present in the country more than a week before its first case was detected, a new CDC report said on Friday.

The sewage samples indicate the variant may have been spreading in New York City as early as Nov. 21, shortly before researchers announced omicron cases in the southern African region late last year, and 10 days before the United States identified its first case, according to the report.

Free:

Why most of us should be wearing N95 masks

The short answer: Because they’re the most protective, and they’re finally widely available.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/01/20/n95-mask-effectiveness/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Unvaccinated adults age 65 or older who contracted the coronavirus were 49 times more likely to require hospitalization than seniors who had received booster vaccine doses, according to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

49 times is an insane number. 

40 minutes ago, TVScout said:

The sewage samples indicate the variant may have been spreading in New York City as early as Nov. 21, shortly before researchers announced omicron cases in the southern African region late last year, and 10 days before the United States identified its first case, according to the report.

More reasons why the travel ban was dumb dumb dumb dumb and hurt all those countries needlessly. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

lol reminded me of this 

That's just beautiful. This is opportunity knocking.
Dump your day job, we'll make & sell these T-shirts in Yosemite and we'll be rich beyond your  wildest dreams
We can even make gold-plated shirts for all the people who happily spend $1500 on the driving tour.

(Those tourists are part of the aforementioned "overlap")

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That's just beautiful. This is opportunity knocking.
Dump your day job, we'll make & sell these T-shirts in Yosemite and we'll be rich beyond your  wildest dreams
We can even make gold-plated shirts for all the people who happily spend $1500 on the driving tour.

(Those tourists are part of the aforementioned "overlap")

Lol sounds amazing 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

More reasons why the travel ban was dumb dumb dumb dumb and hurt all those countries needlessly. 

From what I quickly found, the ban was reported on Nov 26. The first samples were collected Nov 21. Maybe they hadn't processed them yet and didn't realize it was here at the time? The ban was lifted fairly quickly afterwards and expired NYE iirc.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

From what I quickly found, the ban was reported on Nov 26. The first samples were collected Nov 21. Maybe they hadn't processed them yet and didn't realize it was here at the time? The ban was lifted fairly quickly afterwards and expired NYE iirc.

Most experts advised that a travel ban wouldnt prevent variant spread and that by the time of discovery it had likely already left the area. IIRC

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Key quote especially the bolded part. Helps to actually read what you’re posting.

Vaccines were more effective at preventing infection or serious illness than natural immunity from prior infections before the delta variant became the dominant strain. After delta became the main strain, vaccines alone grew weaker against the virus and natural immunity got much stronger. This could be due in large part to the fact that vaccines began wearing off around the time delta spread, according to the study.

• Like 1