Chiefs Releasing Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz

Turnobili

That was a great post by @Jakuvious

I can't stress enough how stupid it is to do this with Mahomes contract. (do it with anyone else but Mahomes)

Look at those future cap hits now. https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

The Saints are not just in this partly because they do this. They are 90% in this because they do this.

• They decided that Malcom Jenkins was worth tanking for. They decided this with every reckless signing over the last few years.
    • They just threw more trash bags off of their back deck to sign him, the smell will be fine!
  • Michael Thomas is now on the books for 3 years and 75 million for 2022-2024 and at 22.5 dead cap so there is no escape.
  • Drew Brees can not officially retire because the Saints can't field a team yet if he does. (he's holding back 11 million dead cap for now by staying active)
  • They are still not close to the cap yet.

Their cap people are like drunks on a bender right now and they have to show up at work on Wednesday. There is a real chance the NFL voids their tag on Williams and then fines them and takes away a draft pick. That might be OK because they can't afford to pay their draft picks.

BTW, Taysom Hill is the only non-retired QB on their roster.

Saints are at -17.168 million

• cut Malcolm Brown for 5 million
  • Two of these three cuts
    • cut Patrick Robinson for 2.8 million
    • cut Tre'Quon Smith for 2.2 million
    • cut Latavius Murray for 2.5 million
  • extend Tayson Hill to continue his insane contract forward (maybe as much as 8 million savings)

You have to do all of that OR

Ramcyzk, Armstead, Lattimore, or Williams agree to an extension while holding the most player leverage in NFL history. 

OR

The Saints release one of them. (probably not Armstead because he has dead cap)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

That was a great post by @Jakuvious

I can't stress enough how stupid it is to do this with Mahomes contract. (do it with anyone else but Mahomes)

Look at those future cap hits now. https://overthecap.com/player/patrick-mahomes/5594/

I'm okay with it in this year, just because of the cap reduction. I do believe the savings this year will matter much more than the $4.3M per year the next couple years, as the cap should skyrocket.

If they keep doing it, that gets scarier. And they could keep doing it. The contract length really enables it. But if they keep doing it, you get the kind of situation where eventually, the team has to pick a year, and either have some of the current core retire (from the group of Clark/Mathieu/Jones/Hill/Kelce), or they'll have to have their contracts end in a timely manner, to have a kind of throwaway year like last year's Pats where they pay all the money they delayed to stay as competitive as possible. All I wouldn't like about that, is Mahomes is young. I have no issue with the Pats doing that with Brady, or the Saints with Brees, because you don't really expect to be competitive immediately when those guys retire anyway, but we realistically should be planning to compete for the next decade.

44 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm okay with it in this year, just because of the cap reduction. I do believe the savings this year will matter much more than the $4.3M per year the next couple years, as the cap should skyrocket.

If they keep doing it, that gets scarier. And they could keep doing it. The contract length really enables it. But if they keep doing it, you get the kind of situation where eventually, the team has to pick a year, and either have some of the current core retire (from the group of Clark/Mathieu/Jones/Hill/Kelce), or they'll have to have their contracts end in a timely manner, to have a kind of throwaway year like last year's Pats where they pay all the money they delayed to stay as competitive as possible. All I wouldn't like about that, is Mahomes is young. I have no issue with the Pats doing that with Brady, or the Saints with Brees, because you don't really expect to be competitive immediately when those guys retire anyway, but we realistically should be planning to compete for the next decade.

I figured we'd extend Hill and Mathieu before doing restructuring Mahomes. But we'll be doing a lot better once we get Clark off the books.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I figured we'd extend Hill and Mathieu before doing restructuring Mahomes. But we'll be doing a lot better once we get Clark off the books.

Yeah, Clark really is the one we messed up on bad. Granted, retaining Ford would've been worse. But just not a good deal there.

I’m good with the Mahomes restructure. A ton of his cap hits are Roster Bonus,  I’m sure this won’t be the last time we push part of his Roster Bonus into a Signing Bonus.   

It looks ugly,   But I’m not concerned..  mainly because it is Mahomes and the way he handles the business side.   He’s going to make bank,  but this massive contract had a low amount of guarantees.  It’s very easy to maneuver the cap to make sure Mahomes gets paid and it doesn’t kill our chances. 

I still expect to see a Mathieu extension very soon,    Hopefully a Hill but not as confident in that one happening this year.  

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, Clark really is the one we messed up on bad. Granted, retaining Ford would've been worse. But just not a good deal there.

They paid a premium for Clark but I overlooked how good he's been in the playoffs.

• Wow, he's got 8 sacks in 6 Chiefs playoff games (he's only 5 behind McGinest for the playoff record  (11 to 16))
  • 10 TFL as well.

17 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

They paid a premium for Clark but I overlooked how good he's been in the playoffs.

• Wow, he's got 8 sacks in 6 Chiefs playoff games (he's only 5 behind McGinest for the playoff record  (11 to 16))
  • 10 TFL as well.

He and Sammy have basically justified their existence by their playoff play. Both were crucial to the superbowl victory. But how good each have done in the postseason for us, also makes it clear how much they underachieve most of the time. There's worse problems to have, but it's still a let down, ultimately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

He and Sammy have basically justified their existence by their playoff play. Both were crucial to the superbowl victory. But how good each have done in the postseason for us, also makes it clear how much they underachieve most of the time. There's worse problems to have, but it's still a let down, ultimately.

Claude Lemieux Syndrome.

I hate you, Claude Lemieux.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, Jakuvious said:

Good. Reiter is trash.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:29 PM, Kirill said:

These guys are done. Next year were returning starting guard LDT from covid doctor duty and quality center austin reiter alongside stud RT prospect Lucas Niang.

We just need to spend our first two picks on offensive line and we're set.

Who to trust... this is a tough one.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

People don't realize, playing OL/DL is the equivalent of a car crash every down. Kudos to guys like Bruce Matthews, Jackie Slater, Anthony Munoz, and recently Andrew Whitworth for being able to play for a long time at a high level.

This is why I'd like to see Vikings DE Jim Marshall eventually get into the Hall of Fame.  In addition to being a big piece on one of the greatest defensive lines in the history of the game, he held the all-time NFL records for the most games played at 282, and more impressively, for consecutive games started at 270. 

This record was not broken until Brett Favre did it as a quarterback three decades later.  To think that Favre broke the record as a quarterback is amazing, but for Jim Marshall to have done it as a DE just blows my mind.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, SkippyX said:

This is not even for Mahomes yet.

• Honey Badger is the top cap hit for his position.
  • Frank Clark is 2nd for edge (with insane dead cap job security)
  • Chris Jones has the 3rd highest cap hit for his position.
  • Hill is 8th
  • Hitchens at LB is 10th (even if 10 million is not crazy)
  • Kelce is 1st (even if 13 is not crazy for him, it still adds up)

One of the points of the salary cap is so teams don't get to 3 straight Super Bowls (or even 2)

Its hard to keep great teams together.

Exactly right - and that's a good thing!

On 3/13/2021 at 6:07 PM, Bearerofnews said:

Who to trust... this is a tough one.

You trust me because I have that primal unfiltered honesty. Jaukuvious is who you turn too if you want some good ideas but also packaged with all the right opinions