2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

Just now, solidvikingfan said:

I think he wants to be in line with elite end numbers as that seems the main complaint that his original deal was too low so no I think his numbers will as much as 4 to 5 million higher not lower then it currently stands.

I could be wrong but I would think it would depend on how the deal was structured. His cap hit could definitely be lowered while giving him more money. 

2 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Apparently, Austin Blythe got signed for around 960K. If that's the case... Man. I just don't even know. Same crap different day with this team

Yeah and in the same vein don't discount that they didn't re-sign Reiter who was their center last year and that the Chiefs have been in the Super Bowl the last two seasons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Yeah and in the same vein don't discount that they didn't re-sign Reiter who was their center last year and that the Chiefs have been in the Super Bowl the last two seasons.

I understand it takes two to tango, but money speaks and they could have made an offer double what the Chiefs gave him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I'm interested in knowing, how much does Dozier get ... a) if he is cut directly after the draft or b) after training camp (before cut down day).

I guess I don't see why do this "now", why allocate "cap space room" for DD, when there may be more potential moves to come (Hunter extension with new money?, more OL signings?, more DL signings?, in-draft trades?)

Why do we reduce our flexibility now ... for Dozier ... I just can't understand.

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I could be wrong but I would think it would depend on how the deal was structured. His cap hit could definitely be lowered while giving him more money. 

A Hunter extension, could be raise or lower this 2021 cap hit ... really depends on the deal. Hunter obviously is interested in new guaranteed money, and Rick is likely interested in lowering the cap (to open up the potential for more in-season transitions)

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm interested in knowing, how much does Dozier get ... a) if he is cut directly after the draft or b) after training camp (before cut down day).

I guess I don't see why do this "now", why allocate "cap space room" for DD, when there may be more potential moves to come (Hunter extension with new money?, more OL signings?, more DL signings?, in-draft trades?)

Why do we reduce our flexibility now ... for Dozier ... I just can't understand.

My understanding is that no signing bonus and no guaranteed money would indicate that if he’s cut after the draft it wouldn’t cost the team anything. 

My understanding is the NFL players don’t get paid during the offseason, unless they have things like workout bonuses, signing bonuses, roster bonuses, etc. 

29 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I understand it takes two to tango, but money speaks and they could have made an offer double what the Chiefs gave him

I don’t like re-signing Dozier, but I don’t understand trying to compare it to the Chiefs signing Blythe. 

Austin Blythe is a center. Yes, he has played guard, but his natural position is center. It shouldn’t shock anyone that he chose a team, regardless of whether it was the Chiefs or not, where he was going to compete for a starting center job. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t like re-signing Dozier, but I don’t understand trying to compare it to the Chiefs signing Blythe. 

Austin Blythe is a center. Yes, he has played guard, but his natural position is center. It shouldn’t shock anyone that he chose a team, regardless of whether it was the Chiefs or not, where he was going to compete for a starting center job. 

Austin Blythe, also choose the team (Chiefs) that gave him some guaranteed money ($990K), and incentives/team performance bonus ($760K). Looks like we might have pivoted to DD after Austin choose KC.

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My understanding is that no signing bonus and no guaranteed money would indicate that if he’s cut after the draft it wouldn’t cost the team anything. 

My understanding is the NFL players don’t get paid during the offseason, unless they have things like workout bonuses, signing bonuses, roster bonuses, etc. 

This is my understanding also.  While I am concerned about the Dozier/Dennison relationship, it appears that he was signed more or less as a placeholder for a rookie or better option.  Of course, he could outright win a position on the roster...but, I'm hoping that they find a rookie in the draft that simply blows him of the practice field.

51 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I understand that he naturally may play center, but I believe his best season actually came at guard.  But, like you indicated, he may have only wanted to play center...and the Chiefs certainly could offer that opportunity, while the Vikings could not.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I understand that he naturally may play center, but I believe his best season actually came at guard.  But, like you indicated, he may have only wanted to play center...and the Chiefs certainly could offer that opportunity, while the Vikings could not.

He very well could prefer to play for a super bowl contender. And let’s face it, Cousins isn’t anywhere near Mahomes and it’s a QB driven league.