2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

2 hours ago, Robb_K said:

I think they should try him out at free safety.  Then, if he'd be the 3rd safety, he'd also be an extra CB if they get a run of CB injuries like they had in each of the last 2 seasons.  That would give the roster more flexibility.

I think he can start at SS. Its not like there is anybody that great opposite of Harrison Smith ready to takeover for Harris.

I could be wrong, but doesn't Zimmer want his safeties to be interchangeable?

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think he can start at SS. Its not like there is anybody that great opposite of Harrison Smith ready to takeover for Harris.

Eh, sorta. I mean I think if any coach had a choice they would want that. 

not sure why he couldn’t start as a cover 2 safety in this scheme. He’s like 5’11 and a buck 90. 

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Yes. I'm sure he does.  But, I think it is more likely that whoever the new free safety is more likely to need relieving at times than Harrison Smith would.  But wouldn't the backup (3rd) safety get practise time at BOTH safety positions, anyway?

11 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Here's our new free safety I would assume.

Damn!  Xavier Woods can play very well as a coverage safety.  I liked him a lot coming out of La Tech and he has had a very solid career for a 6th round draft pick.  Has good range and will fit nicely with Harrison Smith and allow Harrison to move around and play close to the line of scrimmage.  Quite a deal, sucks it is only one year but great value and fills the position.  

Woods will be the starter at FS and provides a vet back there with experience compared to a unproven rookie who needs to learn starting.  Cowboys replaced him with Damontae Kazee, Keanu Neal and Jayron Kearse as their newly signed safeties.

They are wildly improved on the defensive backfield compared to the clear inexperience they had last year at CB.  Some really good moves and they have not spent much but they are not long term deals either.  Still greatly improve and a great signing overall that is a awesome value.

CB: Patrick Peterson/ Boyd
CB: Dantzler/ Gladney
Slot CB: Mac Alexander/ Gladney
SS: Harrison Smith
FS: Xavier Woods

CB: Dantzler/ Boyd
CB: Gladney/ Hand
Slot CB: Chris Jones/ Hughes IR 
FS: Anthony Harris

If Alexander and Peterson play well and stay healthy they could have a very solid group, and again never can have too many corners honestly much less too many experience corners.  

• Like 1

LE: Hunter
DT: Tomlinson
DT: Pierce
RE: Weatherly
LB: Eric Kendricks
LB: Anthony Barr
CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Cam Dantzler
NB: Jeff Gladney

The DE spot opposite Hunter is basically the only spot without an established starter. With Weatherly, Wonnum, and Holmes making up the rotation for that spot, I’d be a bit surprised if we see the team address the position in the first round. Much more likely that we see them follow their typical approach and drafting a traits player in the 3rd/4th round and letting them be a part of the rotation. 

I still can’t help but be a little surprised in essentially swapping Odenigbo for Weatherly. It’s more or less a wash, but I’d love to hear Zimmer’s and Patterson’s reason for that decision. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

I am happy with Kearse going to the Cowboys and the Vikings signing Woods. Woods can be adequate and wasn't previously disgruntled with the Vikings. It can be hard to regruntle a guy like Kearse; even when things appears to go well for a short time their gruntleness tends to remain fragile. Nobody wants to walk on those egg shells. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am happy with Kearse going to the Cowboys and the Vikings signing Woods. Woods can be adequate and wasn't previously disgruntled with the Vikings. It can be hard to regruntle a guy like Kearse; even when things appears to go well for a short time their gruntleness tends to remain fragile. Nobody wants to walk on those egg shells. 

True, and fact is Kearse was just a big slot defender and was never great in coverage back deep, Xavier Woods is absolutely a deep coverage safety so it should work great with Harrison Smith.

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

LE: Hunter
DT: Tomlinson
DT: Pierce
RE: Weatherly
LB: Eric Kendricks
LB: Anthony Barr
CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Cam Dantzler
NB: Jeff Gladney

The DE spot opposite Hunter is basically the only spot without an established starter. With Weatherly, Wonnum, and Holmes making up the rotation for that spot, I’d be a bit surprised if we see the team address the position in the first round. Much more likely that we see them follow their typical approach and drafting a traits player in the 3rd/4th round and letting them be a part of the rotation. 

I still can’t help but be a little surprised in essentially swapping Odenigbo for Weatherly. It’s more or less a wash, but I’d love to hear Zimmer’s and Patterson’s reason for that decision. 

A greatly improved defensive unit, Tomlinson will be the key and I expect him to have an awesome season.  I agree drafting DE 1st round does not make a ton of sense now with all the additions they have.  Possibly wait till the 3rd or 4th to get one.  Only reason they draft a DE is if Hunter is out and no longer a Viking.  

With Weatherly and Odenigbo that is odd, both are getting basically the same amount of money.  They obviously did not know Odenigbo was going to be signed so cheap in free agency and got Weatherly before Odenigbo was signed.  Odd timing but really odd he got so little in free agency but a lot of players could not get paid because the NFL did go through a pandemic and lost a ton of money obviously so no one is passing out huge contracts unless the guy is great and proven.