2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Which I saw 1 tweet later...and watched Vikings' fans heads explode.  

You got it. The Vikings are so lost when it comes to the offensive line. I could have hoped for something better in free agency, but that wouldn't be realistic as long as Rick Spielman is the GM.

Likewise, I could hope for the Vikings to take a true guard in the draft, but then the Vikings would end up with another Colby Gossett, Danny Isidora, David Yankey. Dru Samia, or Kyle Hinton, which is the complete list of guards the Vikings have drafted in the Zimmer era. Moving tackles to guard hasn't worked out very well for the Vikings either. There isn't no hope for Cleveland, but he was pretty bad in pass protection last year.

As long as Rick Spielman is the GM we all need to temper our expectations. I can't wait for the Spielman era to mercifully come to an end.

Re-signing Dozier just solidifies the stance that Spielman has no clue when it comes to the offensive line. And that Rick Dennison only amplifies the problem. 

While I’m fairly certain that Dozier is seen as nothing more than depth, he’s not even worth it. How anyone could watch him play last year, tripping over his own feet, failing to recognize basic stunts, not knowing whether it was a run, screen, or pass play, and say “hey, come on back” is beyond me. 

Even if bringing in someone else doesn’t net you a better player, bringing someone different in at least signifies that the level of play that they got from Dozier is unacceptable. Someone else at least offers the possibility of being better. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I guess that means Mason Cole is the RG and Dozier starts at LG until we're forced to play someone else there.

Are we still employing Dru Samia?

No evidence exists that Ezra Cleveland is anything but a guard for the Vikings and I'd assume we'd more likely draft a tackle then a guard in round 1.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Re-signing Dozier just solidifies the stance that Spielman has no clue when it comes to the offensive line. And that Rick Dennison only amplifies the problem. 

While I’m fairly certain that Dozier is seen as nothing more than depth, he’s not even worth it. How anyone could watch him play last year, tripping over his own feet, failing to recognize basic stunts, not knowing whether it was a run, screen, or pass play, and say “hey, come on back” is beyond me. 

Even if bringing in someone else doesn’t net you a better player, bringing someone different in at least signifies that the level of play that they got from Dozier is unacceptable. Someone else at least offers the possibility of being better. 

Being versatile is still king in backup lineman and Dozier being able to play at guard or tackle still makes him a better backup then Dru Samia.

13 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Being versatile is still king in backup lineman and Dozier being able to play at guard or tackle still makes him a better backup then Dru Samia.

The problem is there's no guarantee that he's going to be a backup...and that's the rub.  

1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

No evidence exists that Ezra Cleveland is anything but a guard for the Vikings and I'd assume we'd more likely draft a tackle then a guard in round 1.

Possibly.  If that is the case they Darrisaw could be the play for the Vikings instead of Vera-Tucker and or Leatherwood.  Not sure Cleveland is a guard though because he was not that great at it and lacks the power for the position it seems.  Still they could be screwed letting Reiff go if they get no one to take his place, Reiff being the highest performing OL on the team last year.

LT Cleveland
OG Dozier
C Bradbury
OG Cole
RT O'Neill

Pretty bad group without question, I assume Cole and Dozier will compete with each other as the starter then get a rookie to start the other OG spot.   Again not sure Cleveland should stick to guard but sure maybe got LT.  Slater would be the ideal then and he could maybe play OG as well.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And after watching him start for 20 games, what could anyone possibly see that would make you think he’s even a competent back up? 

True but for the Vikings right now, it is who you going to play Dozier or Samia.  Compared to how Samia looked Dozier was decent last year Samia was terrible.  

Maybe they have plans for Hill or Udoh to start at RT and move O'Neill to LT and keep Cleveland at OG.  Still not sure O'Neill would be a good LT because he was pretty bad in pass pro at times last year and Cleveland at OG not sure that is great either.  

It just seems like a mess but they have Hill and Udoh who are just kind of there but rarely play or do anything but seem like decent backups.  Curious if they will move Hill to OG or Udoh possibly.  

Either way they have to draft a OL 1st round no doubt about it unless someone drops which I doubt happens.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but for the Vikings right now, it is who you going to play Dozier or Samia.  Compared to how Samia looked Dozier was decent last year Samia was terrible. 

But those aren’t the only options. 

There are other players available. Players who were better. Players who have more upside. Etc. 

Bringing in somebody else at least shows that the team is making an attempt at getting better. Even if it doesn’t ultimately turn out that way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But those aren’t the only options. 

There are other players available. Players who were better. Players who have more upside. Etc. 

Bringing in somebody else at least shows that the team is making an attempt at getting better. Even if it doesn’t ultimately turn out that way.

And who are these guards who are available and as cheap as Dozier was?

Trai Turner is too expensive, Nick Eason's career is possibly over and also too expensive.  James Carpenter and JR Sweezy are both 32 and not scheme fits.  Tom Compton is obviously not a scheme fit.  Mike Iupati I believe retired.  Osemele who knows if he retires or not, doubt it but he would want to probably stick with the Chiefs I assume.  

Forrest Lamp is still out there but doubt he would sign for as cheap as Dozier did but who knows.  So outside of Lamp yeah not that many dudes are still out there much less a scheme fit or know the offense and know the system and on the other hand the coaches know them and how they work...  

Last year was Dozier's first full year starting in his entire career.  No other season did he start anymore more than 3 games in a year.  So in that regard got to give him some room to improve and they clearly like how he prepares and how he is in the locker room.  So having him is better than having no one as a potential backup or a dude to compete for that starting job along with Mason Cole.  

But yeah is not as exciting of a signing as Tomlinson was.  

I'm sorry, but this one move has almost completely negated everything we have done this offseason. Dozier is an absolute mess and we all know deep down inside Dennison will trot Dozier out there week 1 because Dozier is Dennison's "guy." Who cares if you brought him over from the Jets, Ricky. He is trash! Just like like year, when Dozier "won" that sham guard competition against Aviante Collins when the fix was in from the beginning. We will pass on Darrisaw or AVT and draft Jaycee Horn because Zimmer loves his corners. They could have done literally anything to upgrade Dozier, and they didn't. They totally did not.

Who cares if someone is "too expensive." You need to finally spend money to upgrade the position that has been absolutely God awful for 5-6 years now, which has held us back, and will continue to hold us back. I honestly do not care if we have to overpay for even an average guy. Average would be a God send right now. Also, who cares if some of those other guards are old? They are light years ahead of Dozier. Spielman knows jobs may be on the line. The only way this would work out is if we traded up and drafted Sewell, but Rick doesn't trade up ever. Especially not in the first round.

• Like 1