Packers re-sign Aaron Jones

Forge

I do agree taking a 2nd RB high with Jones now locked up probably was not great value, but they probably didn't know Jones would take a bit of a discount to stick around. 

Good signing either way. Not a fan of paying RBs but Aaron Jones is worth it imo.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But why when you spent a 2nd rounder on a back. Could have just taken a WR when it was sorely needed.

Shanny's system, creating stud running backs out of thin air since the 1990's. 

Shanny disciples: "Must throw as many assets at the position as possible!"

It's seriously the most bizarre thing in the world. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but at the start of last year, Shanny has spent more on the running back position than any other team in the league. Please tell me how that makes sense when guys like Jeff Wilson and Mostert are shredding defenses? 

• Like 2

Just now, .Buzz said:

I do agree taking a 2nd RB high with Jones now locked up probably was not great value, but they probably didn't know Jones would take a bit of a discount to stick around. 

Good signing either way. Not a fan of paying RBs but Aaron Jones is worth it imo.

I'm not convinced that this is below market, but hard to say. It only takes one team to do something stupid. 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But why when you spent a 2nd rounder on a back. Could have just taken a WR when it was sorely needed.

The Packers' offense did pretty damn well without spending anything significant on a WR.  People are thinking of Aaron Jones as the traditional RB, when he's probably closer to Alvin Kamara in terms of skillset and usage.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not convinced that this is below market, but hard to say. It only takes one team to do something stupid. 

Depends on the structure.  Have to imagine year 4 is absurdly high cap hit and almost certainly won't play that year for Green Bay.

I really like Aaron Jones, but this just seems like a bad deal in terms of positional value and what they're prioritizing spending their money on. Just feels like you'd be better off rolling with Dillon, and maybe keeping Williams on a cheap deal, and then being able to keep or add a couple other mid-tier free agents, than keeping Jones at a premium.