Saints extend Taysom Hill; 4 years, $140M

pwny

This is just NO’s way of throwing a middle finger to the NFL.  It automatically voids after this year.  So it’s just pushing 7.7M of this year’s cap hit to 2022.    Just a way for NO to show how the cap can be dealt with restructures.   

I see a lot of people claiming trolling but I do have a serious question.

What does a deal like this do too the franchise tag? Isn't that based on the top X% best contracts at the position? So does this deal impact this? Or is it only guaranteed money of a deal that counts?

If not this is just Loomis taking the piss of the NFL cap again. Sign a big question mark to a massive deal and ruin any team looking to franchise their QB in order to have a better shot at landing said QB on the Aints during FA.

Truly 4d chess if true.

The league is going to put restrictions in place moving forward on these voidable year loopholes. It's very clearly a way to game the system with regards to the cap. The whole point of the cap is to create a competitive balance, but these loopholes effectively allow teams to skirt the cap.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, drew39k said:

The league is going to put restrictions in place moving forward on these voidable year loopholes. It's very clearly a way to game the system with regards to the cap. The whole point of the cap is to create a competitive balance, but these loopholes effectively allow teams to skirt the cap.

I doubt it. All the money that gets paid still hits the cap. It just gets moved from year to year. It isn't a loophole or cheating the cap at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

I see a lot of people claiming trolling but I do have a serious question.

What does a deal like this do too the franchise tag? Isn't that based on the top X% best contracts at the position? So does this deal impact this? Or is it only guaranteed money of a deal that counts?

If not this is just Loomis taking the piss of the NFL cap again. Sign a big question mark to a massive deal and ruin any team looking to franchise their QB in order to have a better shot at landing said QB on the Aints during FA.

Truly 4d chess if true.

It’s based off the actual contract values of the prior year.   So there’s no impact here.  

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I doubt it. All the money that gets paid still hits the cap. It just gets moved from year to year. It isn't a loophole or cheating the cap at all.

Correct. It's just money management. 

2 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I get the voidable years but that's still the worst contract I've ever seen.

It’s honestly a parody deal.   NO has lost draft picks because of Bountygate, and lost picks again this year for Covid violations.   They have had issues with the referees (no one  forgets that NFCG phantom non call vs. LAR).   

Loomis and Payton have no love for the FO.   This is their way of flaunting the latest method to get under the cap that’s allowed.    Like how NE reduced Brady’s base salary to 1M when he got suspended to reduce the lost salary to 250K instead of millions.