NFL Free Agency 2021

KingTitan

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

But we have addressed our bad defense....

Got an edge rusher. Got an interior player that can rush the passer.  Brought back our ILB. 
Switched out one vet CB for another. 
Lost a CB in Adoree, but can be addressed still in FA or Draft. 

My problem is we're tying ourselves into a position where we're going to be counting on rookies to replace 3 potentially 4 (if Lamm doesn't end up starting at RT for Kelly) starters right away on offense. Rookies can take a minute to develop. You hope that the top picks can come in right away and make a big impact, but that's just not realistic and looking at things through rose colored glasses. We at least need one veteran WR or two that can be used as "safety nets" for the young guys.

We're going to need another pass rusher outside of Bud along with another CB early in the draft. We're going to be putting ourselves in a tough situation to add valuable pieces to the defense for this year and future years when we need to still find 3 possibly 4 starting caliber pieces on offense heading into the draft. Bud, Autry, and Jenkins are a good haul, but we definitely need a whole lot more than those three guys for this defense to take a significant leap. 

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

dude, 90% of this post is strawman nonsense that nobody has even said. you're boxing against shadows. it's not even worth it.

I'm not going to say you are speaking nonsense, because you are entitled to your opinion. 

What don't you understand about what I said.

• I don't feel like our offense or team will shrivel up because we Corey Davis left.
  • Feeling that Corey can't be replaced in the draft?
  • Feeling that just because it wasn't the move you wanted that it wasn't good?
  • Will Fuller and JuJu are automatic?

What don't you get about those statements?

On 3/15/2021 at 12:45 PM, TitanSlim said:

I’m all for letting things play out. But at the moment I don’t know how you can be comfortable in the position we’re currently in. You can think Davis, Smith, Brown or whoever can be easily replaced by vets or draft picks but those guys were valuable pieces to our team. We’re losing key players that’s creating holes on a roster that already has holes that need filling.

It was already the case but there’s truly no room for error when it comes to our signings and draft picks. We have to get impact signings and day one starting draft picks. Any missteps, and we’re right back being that 7-9/9-7 team.

Posted this Monday and this is still how I feel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm not going to say you are speaking nonsense, because you are entitled to your opinion. 

What don't you understand about what I said.

• I don't feel like our offense or team will shrivel up because we Corey Davis left.
  • Feeling that Corey can't be replaced in the draft?
  • Feeling that just because it wasn't the move you wanted that it wasn't good?
  • Will Fuller and JuJu are automatic?

What don't you get about those statements?

I have to give it to you... You love the titans haha. 

Just to add to this conversation. We lost more than Corey. We lost Corey, Hump, Jonnu, plus depth. That's a lot of production anyway you look at it. Yes the wr is supposedly deep but that's one pick for at least 3-4 holes.  

Juju and Fuller are safer bets with a proven track record so they aren't automatic but they're a better bet.. we had a great offense regular season, lack of depth and weapons cost us. Now we've lost weapons of an already limited group.

Yes we still have a shot at a couple.of the wide outs, but until that happens it's concerning. 

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The argument is that we lost our No. 2-4 receivers heading into a strong FA WR class and have watched the starting caliber receivers come off the board one by one without doing anything. And that’s not a good thing. 

Why is expressing concern about that a bad or unreasonable thing? Should I have confidence in our long and storied history of drafting and developing receivers in the last two decades? 

I hope nothing more that there’s a plan in place. I’m fully open to that. But I’m not going to pretend that the plan is obviously there when discussing the current state of the roster. We’re talking about guys like David Moore and it reminds me of when we tried convincing ourselves that the Brandon Jones and Lavelle Hawkins of the world could be valuable pieces. My argument is that I don’t want rookies and giant question marks filling up the entire depth chart behind AJ. I’m kind of surprised that’s controversial.

I never said it was unreasonable to feel concern about it as it stands today.

I said their lost isn't an automatic straight line to a bad offense. 
I'm saying the lost of the specific WRs isn't as big an impact as say losing AJ Brown. 
And in this offense with Derrick Henry, Tanny and AJ Brown the foundation to be productive is as alive as ever. 

Why are you bringing up the sins of GMs past?  You and I know both that has nothing to do with now.
Jon Robinson didn't pick Hawkins, Jones etc..... That is where my optimism lies. 
He picked Corey Davis, Tajae, Adam Humph, AJ Brown, Jonnu.... whispers..Taywan Taylor..lol

The same guys who are now being mourned for being gone. 
With the way our offense is set up, I'm more confident than years past that we can replace a #2 WR, when we have a All-World RB, All-Pro WR and -Pro Bowl QB. 

12 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

My problem is we're tying ourselves into a position where we're going to be counting on rookies to replace 3 potentially 4 (if Lamm doesn't end up starting at RT for Kelly) starters right away on offense. Rookies can take a minute to develop. You hope that the top picks can come in right away and make a big impact, but that's just not realistic and looking at things through rose colored glasses. We at least need one veteran WR or two that can be used as "safety nets" for the young guys.

We're going to need another pass rusher outside of Bud along with another CB early in the draft. We're going to be putting ourselves in a tough situation to add valuable pieces to the defense for this year and future years when we need to still find 3 possibly 4 starting caliber pieces on offense heading into the draft. Bud, Autry, and Jenkins are a good haul, but we definitely need a whole lot more than those three guys for this defense to take a significant leap. 

Yeah. I agree.
We are in a position where we are going to depend on younger guys 

My view, the salary really paint us in the corner. 

I feel very confident we are going to sign some more guys. Players with experience. People won't like it because it's not Patrick Peterson but has the chance to be a decent player that could add value. 

Not going to fill every position with a brand name. Some guys are just that. Guys. Every NFL team is counting on the same "Guys" to play quality snaps. 

When we take the field in Sept and if we have Chris Jackson starting in the slot then I'll be right there with some. And they can say "SEE TOLD YOU." 

Until then I'll see.

More out of curiosity than anything else (and obviously it’s subject to change), but does anyone feel confident that they’ll feel better about the 2021 team heading into the season than the 2020 team?

And note: I’m not saying more confident than you were in the 2020 team at the end of the year, after we knew who Beasley and Bowen were and after the Lewan, Hump, Clowney, Jayon and Adoree injuries. But say, in September of 2020.

8 minutes ago, MdTitansFan56 said:

I have to give it to you... You love the titans haha. 

Just to add to this conversation. We lost more than Corey. We lost Corey, Hump, Jonnu, plus depth. That's a lot of production anyway you look at it. Yes the wr is supposedly deep but that's one pick for at least 3-4 holes.  

Juju and Fuller are safer bets with a proven track record so they aren't automatic but they're a better bet.. we had a great offense regular season, lack of depth and weapons cost us. Now we've lost weapons of an already limited group.

Yes we still have a shot at a couple.of the wide outs, but until that happens it's concerning. 

Lol

To me it's not about loving the team, which i do, but just being one to see how things play out. 
30 Mins into FA you had some ready to burn it down. lol

We have holes to fill but last I looked we aren't the only ones trying to do that still. Work is still set to be done. 

I know it's a huge shift for us, but I finally believe we have an offensive scheme and system that says "That guy looks like a Titan." Just like you could point out a slot WR for the Patriots or a Steelers LB. 

I feel we have a scheme that lends itself to produce successful players. Just like the Rams. 
Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds. Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett
2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, 4th round pick, 4th round pick, 2nd round pick

We run a scheme pretty much the same as Rams. It needs a Great RB and an above average QB. It helps produce good NFL production from the receiving core. 

Maybe foolishly, I believe we are just as good offensively and able to find guys to fill the roles needed and be a productive offense. 

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

More out of curiosity than anything else (and obviously it’s subject to change), but does anyone feel confident that they’ll feel better about the 2021 team heading into the season than the 2020 team?

And note: I’m not saying more confident than you were in the 2020 team at the end of the year, after we knew who Beasley and Bowen were and after the Lewan, Hump, Clowney, Jayon and Adoree injuries. But say, in September of 2020.

I'll answer.
2020 I was confident in the team. I was iffy on Corey because of what he had shown so far. Wanted to draft a WR and we didn't. 
Didn't like Casey gone.
Didn't feel strong bout Beasley.
Thought the signing of Clowney meant we finally had a defensive superstar. 
Thought Evans was going to take a step. 
Was excited about Simmons. 

Was excited about our offense as a whole. 
Had an exciting guy in Evans to spell Henry. Offensive Line was solid 

Like most thought our Defense would be at least respectable.

So as a team, I thought we would win the division and be in position to be back in the AFC championship game.

Now, I feel like we should win the division. Think we take a step back offensively because of Arthur Smith is gone. Still good.
I think defense will improve because of the additions.

Playoff team that could win one or two games.

13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah. I agree.
We are in a position where we are going to depend on younger guys 

My view, the salary really paint us in the corner. 

I feel very confident we are going to sign some more guys. Players with experience. People won't like it because it's not Patrick Peterson but has the chance to be a decent player that could add value. 

Not going to fill every position with a brand name. Some guys are just that. Guys. Every NFL team is counting on the same "Guys" to play quality snaps. 

When we take the field in Sept and if we have Chris Jackson starting in the slot then I'll be right there with some. And they can say "SEE TOLD YOU." 

Until then I'll see.

Yeah I'm definitely not one of those "let's go sign all the big names!" guys. I know it's a process, and there's things we have to account for like the cap, but we just released two more starters to clear more space. So in theory we should be able to add a few more vets and hopefully we do to fill some more spots offensively so that we're not hamstrung into going offense in the first couple rounds of the draft when we could still desperately use some more defensive talent and still need a starting CB.

My ideal situation right now is to sign a guy like Josh Reynolds/Demarcus Robinson at WR and Darren Fells at TE. Not sexy names, but solid vets that can step up as place holders in starting roles until any rookie we draft is ready to take on a larger role. I see Josh Reynolds and Demarcus Robinson as guys that could easily slide into that WR2 role and out produce expectations similar to what Rishard Matthews did for us. 

• Like 1