Raiders sign WR John Brown

oakdb36

1 minute ago, Justwinning said:

The only thing that has held him back is nagging injuries. We have seen him produce plenty. This move is being overlooked because of all of the OL moves, but getting John Brown on this deal is an outstanding move.

Agreed fully. He’d be a 900-1100 yard guy every year if not for injuries. He’s an absolutely solid WR2 in the NFL and much more well rounded than your average speed guy. Hopefully Ruggs can develop into a WR1. And also, hopefully Edwards can step up and be the big body guy, but just in case he doesn’t, people forget we have one of the best security blankets and 3rd down converters in the sport: Darren Waller. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Agreed fully. He’d be a 900-1100 yard guy every year if not for injuries. He’s an absolutely solid WR2 in the NFL and much more well rounded than your average speed guy. Hopefully Ruggs can develop into a WR1. And also, hopefully Edwards can step up and be the big body guy, but just in case he doesn’t, people forget we have one of the best security blankets and 3rd down converters in the sport: 3rd and Renfrow 

FIFY

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Plus we were able to get Agholor dirt cheap because his stock was extremely low.

Brown has had better stats than Agholor but not by that much. Agholor also has an ascending trajectory and Brown a descending.  

John Brown YD/G 50 TDs/G .32 

Nelson Agholor YD/G 40 TD/G .3

I would not would not chase either player this early in FA.  I am not against signing either player but it is the circumstances.  If some other team wanted to steal either player from me and over pay then go ahead.  Instead we overpaid for Brown.  He is coming off a bad year were he did not look right when he was able to play last year.  Now that we signed him I hope he does well but I would bet on it.  The only reason why I see him putting up stats next year is because Carr has to look his way.  

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Agholor's about to make like 13M this season.  He's currently cheaper than Agholor.  You're comparing last season to this season.  I'm comparing their current contracts for this upcoming season.

Why would you compare what was given to a player coming off a career year with a player coming off of a bad year.  Brown looked old and beat up last year.  Of course he is cheaper than Agholor for next year.  I am comparing Agholor who had a bad year and looked like a bust to Brown this year.  Apples to apples.  In fact you could say Brown deserves less relative to Agholor last year because of the cap.  Brown's contract looks great compared to AJ Green but I would not have signed him either.

22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Agholor is about to play with Cam Newton, who was terrible last season.  I really doubt Agholor will look as good with Cam Newton at QB.

I already stated that Agholor was stupid to sign with NE.  If he was angry with our players acting the way they did imagine the outburst he is going to have when he sees Cam caring more about his clothes for the press conference than talking about football.  I also think he will look bad trying to adjust to Cam's horrible throws.

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Why would you compare what was given to a player coming off a career year with a player coming off of a bad year.  Brown looked old and beat up last year.  Of course he is cheaper than Agholor for next year.  I am comparing Agholor who had a bad year and looked like a bust to Brown this year.  Apples to apples.  In fact you could say Brown deserves less relative to Agholor last year because of the cap.  Brown's contract looks great compared to AJ Green but I would not have signed him either.

Because that's who we lost.  Agholor was our cheap vet WR we signed last year that just left for like 26M over two seasons.  He literally had like 50 receptions for 800 yards and 8 TDs this past season.  Brown had like 35 receptions for 450 yards and 3 TDs (pulling these stats from memory) during an injury riddled season (I think 9 games played).  We just signed Brown at 3.5 with another 2M in incentives right?  Brown had a 1,000 yards two seasons ago and then was banged up.  Agholor didn't have what was considered a stellar season before coming to us.  Apples to apples bro.  Apples to apples.

Agahlor was an afterthought for everyone last year. And for good reason, he was a streaky, underachieving, former bust. He had only had one or two decent years. 

Brown has also had the highs of the two decent years of Agahlor, but has also had two or three years of being a CONSISTENTLY good number 2 or 3 receiver capable of giving you 600-800 yards. 

Give me Brown over NA currently anyday. I posted saying I would be extremely hesitant to pay Nelson more than 4 or 5 million based off the totality of his career. I said if he was wanting more to go find a guy in that range or cheaper that is capable of giving you the same type of bang for your buck as Agholor did last year. That's exactly what we did, and I am extremely happy about it. And that's especially given that the Pats are paying Nelson 13 million lol. 

I think Brown is a better player than Nelson, in the past, and currently. Injuries is a bit of a concern and Brown won't be a long term solution. But can he be a solid veteran #2 or #3 WR (hopefully actually meaning a third or fourth option behind Waller as the top option and Ruggs/Edwards developing)? Absolutely. That's what he excels at. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I already stated that Agholor was stupid to sign with NE.  If he was angry with our players acting the way they did imagine the outburst he is going to have when he sees Cam caring more about his clothes for the press conference than talking about football.  I also think he will look bad trying to adjust to Cam's horrible throws.

He was all about the money this offseason.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

He would have been better off signing her for another year and building on what he did last year.  Carr made him look better and Cam will make him look worse.

Cam and Agholor are about to be a bottom 5 QB/WR duo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

He was all about the money this offseason.

Rightfully so. He was an afterthought before he signed a 1 yr/$1.5M deal with us and a lot of people didn't even think he'd make the roster. He played well and got $26M over the next two years, NFL careers are so short lived you have to get paid while you can. 

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

He would have been better off signing her for another year and building on what he did last year.  Carr made him look better and Cam will make him look worse.

He's making $11M more over the next two years than he would've here. Why take such a significant pay cut? The Patriots have been the winningest franchise in the league for two decades and are completely retooling their roster to make one last run with BB. There's no guarantee that Cam is even the starting quarterback, they could still make a run at Watson or draft someone early. 

With all of the holes they've filled in free agency and how aggressive they've been spending money, I wouldn't even be surprised to see them go up in the draft for a QB if there's someone they really like. 

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rightfully so. He was an afterthought before he signed a 1 yr/$1.5M deal with us and a lot of people didn't even think he'd make the roster. He played well and got $26M over the next two years, NFL careers are so short lived you have to get paid while you can. 

I agree. Just wish he stayed. I would've been fine paying him 8M a season.