Raiders sign WR John Brown

oakdb36

47 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Lol.  

There are other players similar to Brown in FA and the draft.  We had options and no reason to sign him on day 3 of FA.  What we gave him was probably the most any team would have offered.  He probably would have received close to the vet minimum with very little incentives in a couple weeks.  No need to rush to sign him.  I would have given that contract to Dede Westbrook if I was looking to take a chance.  Dede is still young with upside.  John Brown not so much.  

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

There are other players similar to Brown in FA and the draft.  We had options and no reason to sign him on day 3 of FA.  What we gave him was probably the most any team would have offered.  He probably would have received close to the vet minimum with very little incentives in a couple weeks.  No need to rush to sign him.  I would have given that contract to Dede Westbrook if I was looking to take a chance.  Dede is still young with upside.  John Brown not so much.  

Maybe Jon Gruden thinks he's the perfect fit for our scheme.  Maybe Mayock and Gruden felt they could get production that warrants the contract they gave him.  I'd rather we get the guy we want at a price we can afford then wait and end up with nothing or making a big mistake (signing a WR for more money and ending up with less production).

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Close to vet minimum? He’s a reasonably accomplished receiver. He’s had better career #’s than Agholor for sure and he is faster. Obviously I wanted Nelly back but for 5 million this is not bad at all.

Actually it’s even bette than I thought. It’s 3.75 million against the cap. Wow so him and morrow under 8 mil. That’s good business. 

Super bummed about losing Hudson but the FO is making clean calculated moves so far. We need to be aggressive in our pursuit of a vet CB/FS though.

54 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Maybe Jon Gruden thinks he's the perfect fit for our scheme.  Maybe Mayock and Gruden felt they could get production that warrants the contract they gave him.  I'd rather we get the guy we want at a price we can afford then wait and end up with nothing or making a big mistake (signing a WR for more money and ending up with less production).

We all know the amount players sign for decreases as as FA moves along.  Brown has to many red flags to warrant a day 3 contract.  It is the same as drafting Ferrell at #4.  Is he a good player and will he contribute to the team?  Yes.  Did he warrant going that high? No.  Same with Brown.  No reason to go after him this quickly.  If someone else want to give him $5 million then go ahead.  If it was close to vet minimum with incentives up to $5.5 I would be fine with it.  Everyone wants to compare him to Agholor but Agholor got $1 million last year.  That money could have been used more efficiently elsewhere and then come back and sign a #4 WR in a week or 2.  Brown is not a #2 WR.  He has had 2 years he has played that way but not anymore.  He will probably improve his stats from last year because of injuries and being more reliable than what we currently have but that does not make him a good signing.