Raiders sign WR John Brown

oakdb36

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We all know the amount players sign for decreases as as FA moves along.  Brown has to many red flags to warrant a day 3 contract.  It is the same as drafting Ferrell at #4.  Is he a good player and will he contribute to the team?  Yes.  Did he warrant going that high? No.  Same with Brown.  No reason to go after him this quickly.  If someone else want to give him $5 million then go ahead.  If it was close to vet minimum with incentives up to $5.5 I would be fine with it.  Everyone wants to compare him to Agholor but Agholor got $1 million last year.  That money could have been used more efficiently elsewhere and then come back and sign a #4 WR in a week or 2.  Brown is not a #2 WR.  He has had 2 years he has played that way but not anymore.  He will probably improve his stats from last year because of injuries and being more reliable than what we currently have but that does not make him a good signing.  

Well if he stays healthy, we'll see if he was a good signing or not.  Won't know until the seasons over really.

He is not cheaper than Agholor.  Agholor was given $1 million and now we have paid $3.75 guaranteed for a player who is not as good and not the player he use to be.  He is cheaper than the stupid contract NE gave Agholor.  Also Agholor improved his QB by coming here.  Brown is downgrading.  I am not completely against Brown but not trying to make him our #2 and paying him that much.

Just now, oakdb36 said:

He's getting 4M!

$3.75 with incentives up to $5.5 million.  Agholor got $1 million last year.  Agholor was younger and played with a worse QB.  Brown is getting a lot more, is 31, and coming from a better QB.  He is not worth it.  You could have signed a player two weeks from now for the vet minimum to do what he can do.  I am not saying he is trash but we are not getting good value.  He is not the type of player you go after the first week of free agency.  Waste a couple million on 3-4 players and it has a huge impact on you team.  Same thing with the draft.  I wanted him in the 3rd but at least I am getting my gut in the 2nd leads to your talent level dropping.  That is what made the Yannick signing so good.  Not only did we get a player we needed but saved $3 million in the process.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

$3.75 with incentives up to $5.5 million.  Agholor got $1 million last year.  Agholor was younger and played with a worse QB.  Brown is getting a lot more, is 31, and coming from a better QB.  He is not worth it.  You could have signed a player two weeks from now for the vet minimum to do what he can do.  I am not saying he is trash but we are not getting good value.  He is not the type of player you go after the first week of free agency.  Waste a couple million on 3-4 players and it has a huge impact on you team.  Same thing with the draft.  I wanted him in the 3rd but at least I am getting my gut in the 2nd leads to your talent level dropping.  That is what made the Yannick signing so good.  Not only did we get a player we needed but saved $3 million in the process.

You're basing it on the fabulous value we got on Agholor last year. I'll wait to see who signs for the vet minimum at WR this year and get back to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

He is not cheaper than Agholor.  Agholor was given $1 million and now we have paid $3.75 guaranteed for a player who is not as good and not the player he use to be.  He is cheaper than the stupid contract NE gave Agholor.  Also Agholor improved his QB by coming here.  Brown is downgrading.  I am not completely against Brown but not trying to make him our #2 and paying him that much.

Agholor's about to make like 13M this season.  He's currently cheaper than Agholor.  You're comparing last season to this season.  I'm comparing their current contracts for this upcoming season.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Agholor is about to play with Cam Newton, who was terrible last season.  I really doubt Agholor will look as good with Cam Newton at QB.

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

He is definitly a better value than signing Agholor but Agholor played at a starters level last year.  John Brown is a WR 4.  If you watch him last year something is off.  He could not handle the throws from Allen either.  If he gets back to where he was 2 years ago it is a steal but after last year we should have waited and signed him for less.  Gruden trying to prove he is the smartest guy in the room.  I would have given him a contract at the vet minimum with more incentives.  Not the type of deal I like to see on day 3.

John Brown is a WR4? Don’t know what you’re smoking bro. He’s been a WR2 for at least the past four seasons and is much more than just a speed guy. His career has been a joy to watch over the years with steady progression. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

John Brown is a WR4? Don’t know what you’re smoking bro. He’s been a WR2 for at least the past four seasons and is much more than just a speed guy. His career has been a joy to watch over the years with steady progression. 

The only thing that has held him back is nagging injuries. We have seen him produce plenty. This move is being overlooked because of all of the OL moves, but getting John Brown on this deal is an outstanding move.

• Like 1