49ers Acquire the 3rd Overall Pick and Breaks the Internet.

baltimoreRebel

Agreed with Sage.

Shanny likely prefers Wilson over the rest but will go with Fields or Lance here. 

Btw, Sage obviously knows Shanny very well and has been on the Niners trading up or making a QB change all along. He said Shanny probably likes Jimmy but he just has limitations that are eating Shanny up and he wants to get his hands on a QB that could win in multiple ways.

This is really the first time Shanny has gotten to hand pick his QB. Some think Washington was kind of forced to trade for RG3 by Synder and all the other QBs have kind of been just journeymen QBs or those that fell in his lap like Jimmy. Well, for the first time ever he gets to pick one from a wide range of options at the top of the draft. Let's see just how good of a QB evaluator he really is. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Agreed with Sage.

Shanny likely prefers Wilson over the rest but will go with Fields or Lance here. 

Btw, Sage obviously knows Shanny very well and has been on the Niners trading up or making a QB change all along. He said Shanny probably likes Jimmy but he just has limitations that are eating Shanny up and he wants to get his hands on a QB that could win in multiple ways.

This is really the first time Shanny has gotten to hand pick his QB. Some think Washington was kind of forced to trade for RG3 by Synder and all the other QBs have kind of been just journeymen QBs or those that fell in his lap like Jimmy. Well, for the first time ever he gets to pick one from a wide range of options at the top of the draft. Let's see just how good of a QB evaluator he really is. 

I'm not removing Mac from the equation, but he's easily the one that i see the least likely to make the move for. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not removing Mac from the equation, but he's easily the one that i see the least likely to make the move for. 

I have him #3 on my list but I'm okay with any of the choices to be honest.

But this just didn't make sense to me. Shanny saw what Allen/Mahomes did to this defense and what Wilson has been able to pull off, so he's going to go with a largely non-mobile QB? Don't see it. I forgot who it was, but I told someone here that Shanny likely changes outlook on QBs and the prototype ones for this offense. He's going to want a dynamic QB who can win in multiple ways. Looking at majority of the top ones, you kind of have to do that now.

Sage is someone to follow and need to take his opinion on this more serious then other reporters who are just guessing.

Love Maiocco, but he literally said on his podcast he doesn't see it being Jones but instead someone like Fields......to only change his tone a few hours later due to probably others getting his ear. That was so weak. Trust me, none of these guys know a damn thing. Remember that comment that Lynch probably doesn't even know who Shanny really likes? I totally believe it LOL. Shanny isn't spilling the beans here, not to Schefter, not to Rap, not to Maiocco or ANYONE. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But this just didn't make sense to me. Shanny saw what Allen/Mahomes did to this defense and what Wilson has been able to pull off, so he's going to go with a largely non-mobile QB? Don't see it. I forgot who it was, but I told someone here that Shanny likely changes outlook on QBs and the prototype ones for this offense. He's going to want a dynamic QB who can win in multiple ways. Looking at majority of the top ones, you kind of have to do that now.

It was me and i still stand by that i doubt Shanahan has changed his most important values in a QB. I don't think Shanny has never wanted a running QB because he can run. I think in general though he prefers a stiffer pocket passer over a run first QB. I don't think Shanahan will ever draft a Lamarr Jackson but i can see him going with Fields who while being a good athlete also has some polish as a passer. It wouldn't shock me though if he falls in love with Mac Jones and picks him at three because that is the type of QB he has coveted and has had succes with his entire career. 

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

It was me and i still stand by that i doubt Shanahan has changed his most important values in a QB. I don't think Shanny has never wanted a running QB because he can run. I think in general though he prefers a stiffer pocket passer over a run first QB. I don't think Shanahan will ever draft a Lamarr Jackson but i can see him going with Fields who while being a good athlete also has some polish as a passer. It wouldn't shock me though if he falls in love with Mac Jones and picks him at three because that is the type of QB he has coveted and has had succes with his entire career. 

It's not just about being a running QB, just someone that can win in multiple ways. Mahomes/Wilson/Allen can kill you from the pocket but can also extend plays and kill you when the play breaks down. I'm sure Shanny doesn't want someone who is going to struggle within the pocket. He sees the way the league is heading towards and I think this is a move to go big with either Fields or Lance. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's not just about being a running QB, just someone that can win in multiple ways. Mahomes/Wilson/Allen can kill you from the pocket but can also extend plays and kill you when the play breaks down. I'm sure Shanny doesn't want someone who is going to struggle within the pocket. He sees the way the league is heading towards and I think this is a move to go big with either Fields or Lance. 

On top of that Kyle had stated if Allen was in the draft a year earlier he would have maybe taken him. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure but still i think actual old school QB skills will be rated higher. I think Fields has those down altough i question the mental side(think interviewing him is big). Lance just doesn't look natural to me and i believe that was mostly the discussion we had. Can he fall in love with what Lance can become? Absolutely but it would be a shift from what he has done in the past and where i think he has done that some with the way he evaluates receivers(think the Pettis pick really changed his thinking) i will stand by Jones over Lance as a Shanny QB until proven otherwise.

27 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Sure but still i think actual old school QB skills will be rated higher. I think Fields has those down altough i question the mental side(think interviewing him is big). Lance just doesn't look natural to me and i believe that was mostly the discussion we had. Can he fall in love with what Lance can become? Absolutely but it would be a shift from what he has done in the past and where i think he has done that some with the way he evaluates receivers(think the Pettis pick really changed his thinking) i will stand by Jones over Lance as a Shanny QB until proven otherwise.

Yeah, I mean we will all know by draft day. Just think he has shown to adjusting his thought process and even this free agency, we went after durable free agents and just brought back our injury prone free agents on pure value deals.

12 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Would Lance or Fields be the closest comp for Allen?

Probably Lance, though you can sort of wrap around Allen / Cam (right now). I don't like Lance's arm as much as I liked Allen's in terms of total upside, but it's not far off. 

Fields is a really, really difficult to comp for. I see some Daniel Jones in there, which I mentioned on the main board, but obviously physically they are very different,  and that's what I view as the bottom comp bracket...I really don't know who would be the top . I've heard people say Watson, and I don't think that's awful or anything, but at the same time I see enough differences that I don't love it. There's a part of me that wonders if the best comp isn't Dak for Fields? I don't know. I'd love to hear what others thing. It's a really hard comp in my opinion. 

The thing to me is that Fields has such a more natural feel for throwing the football than a guy like Allen. Allen's arm upside was stupid, but I don't see Josh Allen when watch Fields throw. That's why I see some Daniel Jones there.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Probably Lance, though you can sort of wrap around Allen / Cam (right now). I don't like Lance's arm as much as I liked Allen's in terms of total upside, but it's not far off. 

Fields is a really, really difficult to comp for. I see some Daniel Jones in there, which I mentioned on the main board, but obviously physically they are very different,  and that's what I view as the bottom comp bracket...I really don't know who would be the top . I've heard people say Watson, and I don't think that's awful or anything, but at the same time I see enough differences that I don't love it. There's a part of me that wonders if the best comp isn't Dak for Fields? I don't know. I'd love to hear what others thing. It's a really hard comp in my opinion. 

The thing to me is that Fields has such a more natural feel for throwing the football than a guy like Allen. Allen's arm upside was stupid, but I don't see Josh Allen when watch Fields throw. That's why I see some Daniel Jones there.

Actually that Dak comp isn't a bad one. I didn't really care too much for Dak either so it makes totally sense lol. I do think Fields has a bit more athleticism though.

And I agree, Fields just naturally and calmly spins the ball in a matter-of-fact way. Very little effort or wasted motion. That's' probably the biggest attribute that lends to his upside for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Agreed with Sage.

Sage also works with the QB collective...where Shanny worked with Fields but more importantly probably knows what attributes Shanny looks for in a QB. 

I'm really starting to think the Mac Jones/keeping Jimmy G thing as a smokescreen aimed at the Pats. Its Shanny telling BB "we'll draft your top rated rookie QB available at 3 AND hold onto your top rated QB available by trade (since Watson was too expensive before and off the table now). I think he's trying to drive up value to get a current 2nd or future 1st. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

I see some Aaron Rodgers in Fields' game. The ability to put the ball anywhere he wants it within 45 yards of him pretty much exactly, if with an extended throwing motion over Aaron's. That's some rare stuff, but it comes with pretty much exactly Aaron Rodgers' downsides - he knows and loves to hit big plays and will wait on them, trusting his athleticism to turn defensive coverage of those big plays into a good play anyways. You want to run crossers rather than slants to beat man quickly for both those guys for just that reason - they love to sit in the pocket and go high to low rather than low to high. If you've got a great pass rush, you can really trouble Rodgers because he loves to take so long and over trusts his bailout ability. Same with Fields. Now, when he breaks contain, he isn't as good currently as Rodgers is at trying to look for a kill shot to the back side of plays with his absurd arm. That's Wilson's game. He can however, turn himself into an NFL running back and outrun linebackers and flatten safeties and is a real goalline zone read guy. Aaron was athletic as a young guy and still can move a bit, but he was never that guy. Aaron Rodgers with even more wheels is the upside. Daniel Jones feels more like the floor. Jones does have that same big play hunting style and is unusually accurate downfield and a pretty gifted athlete in space, but he's never been as accurate to all parts of the field like Fields has been. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I see some Aaron Rodgers in Fields' game. The ability to put the ball anywhere he wants it within 45 yards of him pretty much exactly, if with an extended throwing motion over Aaron's. That's some rare stuff, but it comes with pretty much exactly Aaron Rodgers' downsides - he knows and loves to hit big plays and will wait on them, trusting his athleticism to turn defensive coverage of those big plays into a good play anyways. You want to run crossers rather than slants to beat man quickly for both those guys for just that reason - they love to sit in the pocket and go high to low rather than low to high. If you've got a great pass rush, you can really trouble Rodgers because he loves to take so long and over trusts his bailout ability. Same with Fields. Now, when he breaks contain, he isn't as good currently as Rodgers is at trying to look for a kill shot to the back side of plays with his absurd arm. That's Wilson's game. He can however, turn himself into an NFL running back and outrun linebackers and flatten safeties and is a real goalline zone read guy. Aaron was athletic as a young guy and still can move a bit, but he was never that guy. Aaron Rodgers with even more wheels is the upside. Daniel Jones feels more like the floor. Jones does have that same big play hunting style and is unusually accurate downfield and a pretty gifted athlete in space, but he's never been as accurate to all parts of the field like Fields has been. 

Good analysis...

I know I’m gonna go back and forth on this a million times before the draft, but Fields does make a hell of a lot of sense.

he checks a majority of the boxes in terms of mobility, toughness, arm talent/ strength,  he has already worked with Shanny. Yes, the ‘going through his reads’ issue is obvious, but he can be coached up on that. Fields just doesn’t seem to have that many downsides and would be an upgrade over JimmyG if given a year to sit and learn.

Wilson would be a great fit, but he will be gone. Lance has all the tools, but he just seems very raw, I don’t see the Niners moving up to 3 to grab him. #3 pick seems a bit to rich for Jones as well. I could be wrong, most likely am. I’m comfortable with anyone they choose for the most part

Edited by P_locniners